Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Runs with scissors
1,754 Posts
The world is going to hell in a hand cart. First two people were killed on live TV and now this?

The school year has barely begun in some parts of the country and we already have an incident of this kind. How and why these youngster get weapons is beyond me. Thanks to the teacher who kept cool head and managed to diffuse a potentially catastrophic situation nobody was harmed. However, this should have never happened. I have two kids in public schools and I worry about things like this all the time.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/08/26/cops-suspect-isolated-students-safe-in-hostage-like-situation-at-school/

·
III%
2,777 Posts
The world is going to hell in a hand cart. First two people were killed on live TV and now this?

The school year has barely begun in some parts of the country and we already have an incident of this kind. How and why these youngster get weapons is beyond me. Thanks to the teacher who kept cool head and managed to diffuse a potentially catastrophic situation nobody was harmed. However, this should have never happened. I have two kids in public schools and I worry about things like this all the time.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/08/26/cops-suspect-isolated-students-safe-in-hostage-like-situation-at-school/
I love your posts and your approach to most topics, but here I find your initial, dare I say major concern was how and where the gun came from.
If there were no guns in this world, this child would still be troubled (extremely troubled..to quote the principal) and obviously ignored.
Why is it that everyone knows these kids are F'd up long before they kill or try to kill and yet everyone looks the other way.. even to the point of leaving guns around and worse.. buying them guns because they are depressed.
The gun is IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM , PART OF THE PROBLEM!
Address the problem before its a slaughter!

·
Runs with scissors
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I love your posts and your approach to most topics, but here I find your initial, dare I say major concern was how and where the gun came from.
If there were no guns in this world, this child would still be troubled (extremely troubled..to quote the principal) and obviously ignored.
Why is it that everyone knows these kids are F'd up long before they kill or try to kill and yet everyone looks the other way.. even to the point of leaving guns around and worse.. buying them guns because they are depressed.
The gun is IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM , PART OF THE PROBLEM!
Address the problem before its a slaughter!
I never said the weapon is the problem, I grew up with one, never occurred to me to take it to school. Parents who have troubled kids should not leave a weapon out. This kid is 14. I am sorry if my logic offends anyone, but I believe that a 14 year old should not have an easy access to a handgun. I am not blaming an inanimate object, but I am blaming the parents or whoever made it easy for a TROUBLED kid to get one. Who knows, maybe he stole it from somewhere. I just do not know why the same scenario keeps repeating itself, and it is troubling for me and millions of parents out there.

Reactions: gopedxr7

·
III%
2,777 Posts
I never said the weapon is the problem, I grew up with one, never occurred to me to take it to school. Parents who have troubled kids should not leave a weapon out. This kid is 14. I am sorry if my logic offends anyone, but I believe that a 14 year old should not have an easy access to a handgun. I am not blaming an inanimate object, but I am blaming the parents or whoever made it easy for a TROUBLED kid to get one. Who knows, maybe he stole it from somewhere. I just do not know why the same scenario keeps repeating itself, and it is troubling for me and millions of parents out there.
I agree with most of the above.. my point comes from the typical response "how did a 14 yr old get a gun?". It keeps happening because thats all that gets focused on. Thats all the liberal media wants anyone to think about.
The gun is the perfect scapegoat for the schools, the parents , and community! Carry on, nothing to see here, it was a gun! WE are all relieved of any responsibility !
Screw the gun !!!
How does any child live in such a bubble that this type of crazy doesnt get addressed?
It takes some serious f'd up to go to school and kill everyone!
I guarantee this kids cries for help fell on deaf ears at home, in school and in his community. I guarantee this level of F'd up was extremely evident prior to this...how about someone step in and address the real problem or at the very least mention it after some kid kills his classmates!

·
Runs with scissors
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, problems that a kid has should be addressed before a tragedy happens. I agree. But it all has to start at home, or in school. Where else is it going to start for a 14 year old kid? Lets, for a minute take the gun out of the equation. What if he brought an axe to the school? Why on earth would anybody do that? Where are the parents, the school psychologist, guidance counsellors? Why is this happening over and over again? A cry for help can also be crazy music, crazy clothing, graffiti, underage drinking, drugs, whatever. Why is there a desire to harm others at such an early age?

Reactions: Babaloo

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Unfortunately, the terribly sad fact is, that it is very difficult to force a minor to get mandatory evaluations and or counseling against the will of the parents if they oppose such treatment. This is what needs to be changed. If school officials, doctors, other parents, students, etc. have solid reason to believe there is a problem, then evaluations should be more easily mandated.
The problem is even worse when it comes to mentally ill adults. It is extremely difficult to commit adults against their will for mental illness. The laws have to change IMO. We have a huge mental illness problem in this country that needs to be dealt with.

·
III%
2,777 Posts
Unfortunately, the terribly sad fact is, that it is very difficult to force a minor to get mandatory evaluations and or counseling against the will of the parents if they oppose such treatment. This is what needs to be changed. If school officials, doctors, other parents, students, etc. have solid reason to believe there is a problem, then evaluations should be more easily mandated.
The problem is even worse when it comes to mentally ill adults. It is extremely difficult to commit adults against their will for mental illness. The laws have to change IMO. We have a huge mental illness problem in this country that needs to be dealt with.
If the headlines and top news stories featured quotes from the these two posts and "America had an open conversation" about this, we'd be well on our way to ending these tragedies from ever happening in the first place.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Slippery slope my friend.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Maybe, but far better to go after the person than the inanimate object they are using to commit these horrendous acts. Guns don't shoot themselves.
I agree that we have a mental health problem in America, look at the democrat party!
All kidding aside, I get what you're saying, but remember, stuff like this can be used against all of us.
Think about it, who gets to decide if you need to be evaluated?
Some bureaucrat?
Judge?
Who gets to decide?
Then once your in the system, who gets to decide then?
Some psychologist with questionable education and an agenda?
There's just to many variables and things that can go wrong when the Government runs things, and they can potentially use as a weapon.
Just look at the IRS.
You want an agency like that to decide who needs "evaluating"?

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
I agree that we have a mental health problem in America, look at the democrat party!
All kidding aside, I get what you're saying, but remember, stuff like this can be used against all of us.
Think about it, who gets to decide if you need to be evaluated?
Some bureaucrat?
Judge?
Who gets to decide?
Then once your in the system, who gets to decide then?
Some psychologist with questionable education and an agenda?
There's just to many variables and things that can go wrong when the Government runs things, and they can potentially use as a weapon.
Just look at the IRS.
You want an agency like that to decide who needs "evaluating"?
I hear you and agree with a lot of what you are saying. I certainly don't want more government oversight. This is the classic freedom vs. best public interest debate.
Take the school age shooters for example (minors). I can pretty much gaurantee that the school staff, other kids, and parents know who the crazy, big time problem/dangerous kids are. Lots of times these people raise the red flags and are handcuffed by a system that was never really designed to handle these kinds of threats. I just think we need to do something when there is overwhelming evidence to support such action.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Bad stuff happens to good people. It's been going on for years but we never knew about it on this scale because Social Media didn't exist, and at that time the "news" reported news, not an agenda. As far as I'm concerned 80% of what I see on any American news network is an OpEd, not real journalism. I've been drawn to Al Jazeera lately because I feel they are not as biased.

I'm not saying that this isn't sad or tragic because it is. When I was in HS a kid set off a chlorine bomb. Kids got really sick, I'd imagine to this day are experiencing additional health troubles. I still see Chlorine being sold at stores.

There will always be bad people doing bad things, without it how would we define what was good?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.