Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this has been covered before. Search didn't come up with anything.

Can you have an underground range at your home in Nassau county?

I think I have all the mechanical issues covered not sure about the legality of discharging a firearm even INSIDE your own home?

T&T used to have an indoor range in Floral Park. Grandfathered???

Not looking for a business just personal use .... maybe with a few friends

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Like I said, I think I have the mechanical issues covered .... soundproofing, target system, backstop, lighting, ventilation, lead abatement

100' underground range in a 36" tube ending in a 60" "vault" .

Again, "Personal Use" & totally invisible from outside.

Can they "zone" what you do INSIDE your home ?? Wood shop, machine shop, home brewing, wine making???

It's not like I'd be printing money!!

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Like I said, I think I have the mechanical issues covered .... soundproofing, target system, backstop, lighting, ventilation, lead abatement

Can they "zone" what you do INSIDE your home ?? Wood shop, machine shop, home brewing, wine making???

Ummm.......posting your "hypothetical idea" might not be such a great idea on a public forum.

·
Zombtac Operator
12,108 Posts

Sure, not every residential property is zoned for a lot of stuff...certainly not a range, and there are tons of regulations and ordinances regarding such things.

Then there are EPA regulations with proper lead disposal and ventilation for a range (every commercial range needs to abide by this and private homes have to follow hazmat laws). I mean you can't just start up a chemical lab with hazmat materials in your garage due to zoning and EPA regulations, and many other things. Just like a lot of homes in Nassau can't have livestock or certain pets, etc. I live in an area with horse properties and chicken coops (residential) and there are specific requirements by Town law for these. "Personal use" has nothing to do with these things.

Not to mention anything in a home may technically require permits pulled, even a ventilation system (of course no one really does this to a T).

And legally you would likely need to buy insurance even for a private home range, if such a thing could be done according to zoning regulations in a residential neighborhood and to environmental specs (even an underground Oil tank has to be certified in residential areas)

Heck, I can't even legally put a plastic shed on the side of my house due to town regulations even though I own a few acres and it's a few hundred feet from the road and no one is going to see it. Everything is regulated.

And I'm not even getting into local gun laws and the no discharge ordinances most towns have...you might want to consult a lawyer on this (especially being posted in a public forum).

·
Zombtac Operator
12,108 Posts
Good point but this is not something I'd try to do "under the radar"
Just don't want to invest $3 -$5K only to have some official say .... errr, you can't do that!
Jebus, where do you live? Everything in modern America needs permits, town ordinances, regulations. This isn't "Walden Pond" building your own home anymore. Even the horse properties by me have very specific regulations and town requirements. Many towns even outlaw certain plants. You can't just dig a hole and fill it with water and call it a pool either.

With firearms you get into Federal firearms law as well as state and local ordinances and EPA/hazmat issues. Insurance in a private residence for such a specific thing would also be likely legally required . These are very regulated areas. High penalties.

Just buy land a short drive away and legally plink on your own property like I do (personal outdoor range).

·
Zombtac Operator
12,108 Posts
The hazmat issue is easy enough to get around with lead-free ammo.
OK problem solved. I'm sure they'll sign off on the building permits for a "DIY home range" in any town in Nassau then. No discharge ordinances. Fuggetaboutit. Home owners insurance. Yeah, they said it was OK. HVAC hepa ventilation costs for full turnover. Sure. Home resale. Heck, you would need certification to prove it was lead-free and legit and inspected. Even if a house tests for a tiny bit of a hazmat in many areas (meth) it can't be sold. I had to wait weeks to get a certification on a buried oil tank before I could buy one property.

Seriously, call your township/municipality. They usually have specific ordinances against this sort of thing...since you're asking all "above board" and "technically". I would love to hear their list of requirements/response.

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
when I was a kid my buddy had a basement range where we shot .22 rifles all the time, this was in Muttontown. Don't know if it was legal but it was fun for a 13 y/o. Used to practice before my schools rifle team meets.

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
8,061 Posts
State Conservation Law says you can't discharge a firearm within 500 feet of a building without the permission of the building's owner.

Town ordinances in Nassau Co. invariably ban the unlicensed discharge of guns period.

Town of Oyster Bay Code 114-4

A.

Except as otherwise provided by law, no person shall discharge any firearms, rockets, gunpowder, firecrackers, torpedoes, blasting caps, dynamite or other explosives within the town without first obtaining a permit therefor from the Town Clerk, except that persons having a duly issued license or permit or a permit to carry or possess concealed weapons and persons having duly issued gunning or gaming licenses or permits shall not be required to obtain the permit otherwise required by this subsection before using a firearm so permitted within the intent of the license or permit.
B.

The prohibition contained in Subsection A of this section shall not apply to the authorized discharge of a firearm at a licensed range.
C.
Nothing contained in Subsection A or B of this section shall be construed as permitting the discharge of firearms contrary to the Penal Law nor on, from or over the waters known as "Mill Neck Creek" pursuant to § 114-7.

There may be work arounds, but you better check with a legit real estate or criminal law attorney before sending out round one.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not for nothing but .....
Not too long ago I stuccoed a full basement of a house, 20' x 40'. I shot at least 1,000 "rounds" from my .27 cal Ramset "gun" putting up the wire lathe. Windows wide open .... neighbors never made a comment .... the village police even rolled by in the process & didn't even give it a second look.

Now IF I was in Hempstead, would "shotspotter" have sent in SWAT ..... multiple shots fired??????

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.