Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just brought a house with oil.. Never had oil before, always had gas. Any good oil companies out there? I know there are many complaints about being locked into high prices for the season. Any recommendations would be great. Especially for companies that come out dead of winter !

·
The Sysop
35,824 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
I use Petro for many years. Not the cheapest, but I found them to be fair and very reliable. They show up quickly if I have a problem. I am on a budget plan with them, and generally sign a 'max price' lock in - I pay a variable price with a stated cap. The other alternative is to buy oil only without contract - I used JC Discount Fuels until I ended up buying a new boiler from Petro and stayed with them.

If you have an in ground oil tank, I suggest that you start making plans to have it emptied, filled with the proper materials, and replaced with an above ground.

·
The Sysop
35,824 Posts
No one right now should be on a new contract. The price of oil is dropping so low, its not worth it.

Today's oil price for wholesale is under 1.60 a gallon and set to 1.19 if the Iran deal goes through. Im serious.

Use the discount we lined up for savings. They do burner maintenance and repair too if needed.
Here's today's price:

Colorfulness Font Screenshot Rectangle Number

http://www.oil-price.net/

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
I had Petro for many years. Service contract tied to oil price. Quit them for poor service.

Now use Affordable Fuels - COD (Credit/Debit same as cash)
Bought a service only contract, so I can buy oil independent of service.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
IMHO, If there is gas in the street in front of the house, switch to gas quickly! I have converted 5 buildings that I manage to gas from oil.. The payback is almost immediate. Plus, no smell, quieter, more efficient, no maintenance etc.
I don't believe in financing any more than I have to, but I would finance a conversion if it was the only choice. Oil heat is like living in the stone age.
Of course, this is only my own opinion, YMMV.

Reactions: pequa1

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guess low oil prices will affect the geothermal installation market.........................

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discount Fuel is a sponsor here and has the reusable code for $10 for ALL LIF members. They have excellent service and fast delivery.

Support those who support us and the 2A.

LIFMEM = $10 off every delivery.

Reactions: Edward_Blake

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Yes I have used the service several times. I am using Burner King (Yes I know they have a bad rep)
Service has lagged a little during peak heating season. (Better than my average experience with Petro)
how much is a contract and what does it cover? I just called Slomins who I have been using for 30 yrs. I have a free contract with them and pay nothing for parts and labor. They just quoted me a locked in price for the year at $2.35/ gal. I didn't commit yet

·
The Artist formally known as AR_Guy
6,875 Posts
I just received a delivery from Discount Fuel yesterday, with the low oil prices and the LIF discount it's a great deal. Dependable service and great price.

Reactions: The Architect

·
Premium Member
3,555 Posts
When we bought our house in 2010 we inherited an oil system... we went with Slomins and had no complaints... never had to call them for a delivery (never went below a 1/4 tank with their auto-delivery). Also, their prices were competitive, often lower than what coworkers were paying with cooperative-type oil delivery arrangements, and cheaper than Petro, Perillo Bros., Meenan, etc. My father in-law has his own "guy" of course, and he always paid more! Most of the homes in my neighborhood seem to use Slomins with the others scattered around.

That being said, when one of my neighbors campaigned the street to try to get National Grid to run the line for free, we were able to switch to gas last fall... went from constantly adjusting/programming the thermostat to conserve oil and save money to setting it at 70 degrees and leaving it alone all winter. We are now paying $108 / month (gas) on balanced billing vs. the $250 / month with oil (plus we owed Slomins an additional $330 at the end of last year's cycle for the amount used over the balanced billing). We are heating a 2700 sq ft colonial (for heating cost comparison). We have paid $3,000-$3,600 / year with oil since we moved in, but now we're on pace to pay $1,300 with gas for the year. Since our neighbor campaigned, we have 6 neighbors (including us) that have converted since last fall.

Rant aside, we liked Slomins... people have mixed feelings, but we never had any issues and they came within 2-3 hours the one time our system needed service late at night in the winter!

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
I just received a delivery from Discount Fuel yesterday, with the low oil prices and the LIF discount it's a great deal. Dependable service and great price.
I have used Discount Fuel in the past. After 2-3 deliveries, I had a service call and the tech showed me green residue built up on the nozzle. His guess was that it was from improperly washed/purified biodiesel. I switched back to Affordable (Not B20) and haven't had a problem with green residue since.

·
Premium Member
3,874 Posts
Also, Discount Fuel uses 20% bio fuel which allows you to get a credit on your NYS income tax.
And tends to eat away at certain parts of the system - at least in my experience, having replaced the same ram thingy on two identical burners (mine and the one at work).

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.