Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering, In a scenario where your neighbor is in a life threatening home invasion scenario.
Law enforcement not on scene,
Can you as a Nassau County Permit holder intervene with your legal firearm to save your neighbors life?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I doubt it. You'll probably be demonized on the news and thrown in jail for protecting your own home. Times have changed they turn everything into politics and put there spin on what happen regardless of the truth or the law.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
I would rather not get the 3:00 am call that someone is breaking in and the police are not here yet.
I do not advertise to the neighbors that I have a gun.
In Nassau County I would likely spend a few nights in jail even on a good shoot protecting my own family because some headline whore of a prosecutor wants his/her name in the paper, never mind me at the neighbor's house.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
Read article 35 in the CPL. Remember, if you do get in a Deadly Physical Force situation. Be prepared, Police are going balls to the wall about shots fired active shooter.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
This is why scenario based training is important. Beyond the question of whether you should be involved or not you should think about how to get involved so that you have different pre planned courses of action. Obviously these situations are unpredictable, however, the more training the better equipped to have the appropriate course of action.

·
SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee
6,436 Posts
Legally, yes but, politically, no. If you do it, be sure it's a life-saving scenario and be prepared to see your face on the lame-street media's "news" channels labeled as a vigilante, then facing major legal costs, when the attention-needy prosecutor charges you with headline-grabbing "crimes."
Gary

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
This is why scenario based training is important. Beyond the question of whether you should be involved or not you should think about how to get involved so that you have different pre planned courses of action. Obviously these situations are unpredictable, however, the more training the better equipped to have the appropriate course of action.
Shot placement and know what is beyond the intended target. A few training courses are going over this more, giving actual incidents when using a firearm to stop threat, a bullet exiting or deflecting, killing an innocent bystander.

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
As Gary said, yes you can but you need to be prepared for the aftermath. Even if the evidence appears to be crystal clear that the shooting was justified in your mind doesn’t mean you won’t get detained, arrested and have your firearms confiscated while the police and DA gather all the evidence to determine if the shooting was in fact justified. In states like FL and TX you’re more likely to get the benefit of the doubt unless there is some obvious reason the shooting appears to be unjustified. In NY you probably won’t get that benefit.

Reactions: dabassman and Lou G

·
MOLON LABE
3,318 Posts
You didn't really say what the result of the intervention would be. Did you just display the gun, shoot and hit no one, shoot and injure, or shoot and kill, in your scenario.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
likely go to jail for being a good citizen

meanwhile in suffolk county a detective told me that less then half of homicides get solved and only half of solved cases lead to a conviction…so most get away with murder

1 - 10 of 10 Posts