3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
AMF YOYO
3,598 Posts

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Many years ago my father and I went to Alaska. Shortly before we got to Mount McKinley a man was killed taking pictures. According to the guide he had emptied a .44 magnum into the bear at point blank. The bear died, but still killed him.

You don't mess with those bears. It's Polar > Brown > Black.
a grizzly was killed a few years ago after munching up several hunters . The bear stood about 14 ft. high and could look into a second story window . He had about 5 large caliber slugs in him BEFORE he was shot again multiple times and killed

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
I took these at Denali Nat. Pk. and Brooks Falls, Alaska a few years ago. At Brooks, there's literally dozens of bears all around and nothing between you and them. They can get closer than 30 yds to you if you happen across them on the trails. They had their first attack/kill in 50 years last year I believe.
When I go back to Alaska, I'd be happy to spend all my time there.
Magnificent creatures.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
A few more out of the hundreds of Brown Bear pics. How many can you count in the last photo?

Attachments

·
Grand Poobah
21,090 Posts
I know a guy that used to guide in Alaska.
He went out to check on a material drop for a new site and came across 3 Grizzlies that had torn a moose apart.
They didn't like him being there and attacked.
He said I usually took a scoped rifle with me but that day I was walking a lot and took my rifle with iron sights.
He said it saved his life. He got all 3 but not before the last one broke his ribs.
Shot placement shot placement shot placement.
The story was in the papers, one article was called "Bill and the Three Bears."

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,979 Posts
a grizzly was killed a few years ago after munching up several hunters . The bear stood about 14 ft. high and could look into a second story window . He had about 5 large caliber slugs in him BEFORE he was shot again multiple times and killed
Long time ago I was on an elk trip with 2 friends. One of the guys had taken a Bull and three of us were there- two to dress it out and one to watch. A Grizzly broke out of the brush and came straight at us and I started shooting it with a Marlin in .45-70. As I used my last round, the bear dropped...at my feet. It was a bit dicey there for a while right up until that point.

·
Banned
2,607 Posts
Long time ago I was on an elk trip with 2 friends. One of the guys had taken a Bull and three of us were there- two to dress it out and one to watch. A Grizzly broke out of the brush and came straight at us and I started shooting it with a Marlin in .45-70. As I used my last round, the bear dropped...at my feet. It was a bit dicey there for a while right up until that point.
thats sick any pics

·
Registered
580 Posts
My friend got attack by a grizzly last year. He's a range manager for a ranch just outside Cody Wyoming ( Yellowstone area ) , as he was driving around the ranch he seen about 5 grizzlies , he than came across a lone hunter. He stop tell the guy about the bears and to help him out , the guy was trying to follow a map and stay on natural forest land. He told my friend he seen about 4 grizzlies himself. He decide to help the guy get across the river ,as they were walking he heard a noise behind him , it was a 355 lb grizzly , he did even have time to raise his gun before she hit him , she bit him on his shoulder , arm then got a hold of his leg . The other guy eventually got get a safe shot at the bear , he was using 30 06 he shot her point blank in the head , the bullet traveled around the skull and took out her spine.

Yellowstone park and the surrounding area are infested by grizzlies now . Attacks on human are becoming more and more common . There is talk of opening up a season for them

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
Holy ****!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Black bears around here! A couple of years ago I was up in the Catskills target shooting my flintlock at the Phoenicia range. A good sized black bear came out of the woods to my left sniffing the air... he apparently liked the sulfur smell of burnt black powder. When he got to around twenty yards away, I let off a round just to the left of his head and he turned around and ran back into the woods. A couple of weeks ago, I was standing on my porch (Catskills again) when a black bear walked down my driveway and very calmly strolled into the woods. I've had the property since 1980 and I'm seeing more bear activity now than I've ever seen.
Now, when I walk into the woods (which is what I like to do) I make sure to carry a pistol...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.