Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Borders, Language, Culture
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a long time now, I've noted the general dismay & convulsions by beach officials whenever someone is swimming in an area not 'protected' by lifeguards. It doesn't matter if there are no waves or currents. A state of apoplexy is quickly reached when the violator wades into unsupervised waters. Now, I know about the liability & how people can't assess risk for themselves so you don't need to school me on this. But, I have 2 general questions:

1) If the violator refuses to come out of the water, what is the maximum punishment & how far will they go to bring you on to the beach? Let's say the violator is wearing fins, will they eventually get the lifeguard boat & compel you to get in?

2) Can I make a citizen's arrest if I see someone illegally wading into unprotected water? Do I have to give a warning first or can I just drag them out of the water myself & prosecute the crime?

·
Bangkok rules. Now who has a can?
11,528 Posts
and GO....

.....we have a Friday night thread.....

·
INFIDEL
7,237 Posts
Make a citizens arrest and toss water boy a beat down......Dont forget to post the vid so we all can enjoy....

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
21,922 Posts
I am usually fishing the unprotected areas when I hit the beach. A couple of casts just close enough usually achieves the desired effect.
I was doing just that on Fire Island this Monday. I must have been 100 yards away from the life guard tower. The guy on the surfboard didn't seem to care that he came across my line half a dozen times.

·
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I really am serious about the first question & I can't find an answer. I wish I could just sign a release form, but, of course, I'm not allowed to assume the risk.

·
Banned
11,831 Posts
For a long time now, I've noted the general dismay & convulsions by beach officials whenever someone is swimming in an area not 'protected' by lifeguards. It doesn't matter if there are no waves or currents. A state of apoplexy is quickly reached when the violator wades into unsupervised waters. Now, I know about the liability & how people can't assess risk for themselves so you don't need to school me on this. But, I have 2 general questions:

1) If the violator refuses to come out of the water, what is the maximum punishment & how far will they go to bring you on to the beach? Let's say the violator is wearing fins, will they eventually get the lifeguard boat & compel you to get in?

2) Can I make a citizen's arrest if I see someone illegally wading into unprotected water? Do I have to give a warning first or can I just drag them out of the water myself & prosecute the crime?
Unless this is on your private beach….. why do you care?

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
I think you need to see it from the perspective of the lifeguard. They are trained to scan a specific zone. That zone is based on several factors, the primary factors being the time it takes to scan from one side to the next and potential rescue distances. If they allow one person to stay outside their zone, others will follow, and the safety of everyone is jeopardized.

·
4,738 Posts
I don't care about #2 at all. That was just sarcasm although I thought it would be funny to act the way the park officials do as a private citizen: "Hey, your in an unprotected area. I know it's only 2 feet of water, but you have to swim by a lifeguard. Get out now or I'm making a citizen's arrest"

For #1, it's just a constant annoyance. I'm just trying to read my book without a park official whistling every few minutes to get out of the water. God - whatever happened to assumption of risk in this country? I don't think getting out of NYS is the answer. This Nanny State b.s. seems to have infected the whole American populace.

·
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think you need to see it from the perspective of the lifeguard. They are trained to scan a specific zone. That zone is based on several factors, the primary factors being the time it takes to scan from one side to the next and potential rescue distances. If they allow one person to stay outside their zone, others will follow, and the safety of everyone is jeopardized.
I get that everyone's just trying do their job. People have a choice - swim by the lifeguards & be saved or don't swim by the lifeguards & assume the risk. Obviously it's a larger issue where the government won't allow the citizen to assume responsibility for their own life. I wonder when that first entered the American psyche.

·
moved to greener pastures
10,824 Posts
Ever had to deal with the family waiting on the beach for their missing loved one to be found?
They generally pop up in about 36 hours and if you've been through it once, you don't ever want to go through it again.
Lifeguards and LIFE GUARDS.
Let them do their job or go swim on an unprotected beach and take your chances.

As far as taking matters into your own hands, you can rant and rave, but unless you have some sort of authority, ranting and raving is your limit.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
I get that everyone's just trying do their job. People have a choice - swim by the lifeguards & be saved or don't swim by the lifeguards & assume the risk. Obviously it's a larger issue where the government won't allow the citizen to assume responsibility for their own life. I wonder when that first entered the American psyche.
That's definitely one way to look at it. Another would be that it's kind of selfish that someone needs their own little part of the ocean at the risk of potentially puting other people in a dangerous situation. Remember, a lot of these guards are young adults who are just trying to make a few bucks while home from school and some are adults, both of which are trying to get through the summer without having a major problem on their watch.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.