Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long Island man, 42, busted for tampering with traffic cameras after posting YouTube video about it

BY THOMAS TRACY
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Wednesday, August 26, 2015, 8:55 AM
  • A
  • A
  • A

[background=initial !important]
19[/background]

19[/background]

23[/background]

SHARE THIS URL

SUFFOLK COUNTY POLICE DEPARTMENT

Stephen Ruth was busted Tuesday and charged with four counts of criminal tampering and obstruction governmental administration.

375]A Long Island rebel without a clue was cuffed for tampering with traffic cameras in Ronkonkoma after he posted a video to YouTube showing him in the act, Suffolk police said.​

375]"To do this successfully, all you need is a pair of b---- and a painter's extension rod," Stephen Ruth, 42, of Centereachsaid in his 1-minute, 4-second video, posted Tuesday. "I'm going to show you how easy it is to take the power back."​

375]Police said Ruth used the extension rod to knock the cameras off their fixed position so they wouldn't be able to take snapshots of cars blowing through red lights.​

375]He tampered with two cameras on Ocean Ave. and the Long Island Expressway South Service Rd. on Thursday and Friday, then altered the direction of two cameras on Hawkins Ave. and the Long Island Expressway Service Road on Tuesday, cops said.​

375]When he was done, all the lenses could record were clouds, according to Suffolk County police.​

375]Cops identified Ruth after receiving several tips about the YouTube video.​

375]Ruth was arrested at his home on Stewart Circle Tuesday afternoon and charged with four counts of criminal tampering and obstruction governmental administration. His arraignment was pending Wednesday.​

375]In the video, Ruth admitted that he had been caught one too​

·
Banned
3,887 Posts

·
Registered
11,590 Posts
I've long been surprised that there isn't more red light-cam oriented vandalism.
They've had cameras for a lot longer in the UK - for speed, if you check out some of the UK Moto Magazones there's usually a page of pranks pulled on them (they call them "Gatsos") everything from knocking them down, to dropping giant stuffed animals on top of them, garbage bags over, etc.

He's performing a public service for sure!..... He's also griping about the "3 second" "rule"... THERE IS NO 3 SECOND RULE!

·
Banned
2,607 Posts
i hate them. I've had 3 wife 2.
seems if you make a right on a merge type of intersection on a red light without coming to a full stop you get a ticket

i got the 1st two that way

if he was not so stupid he could have done a public service

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
saw it and said he was going to get arrested some even mentioned raising bail for him nope got what he deserved some need to learn the hard way I hope he getts the max. not too smart

Reactions: killian
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.