Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been wanting to get another Henry lever gun for quite some time now. Would you guys recommend a .357 or a .44? It's really just going to be for plinking at the range. I'm leaning more towards the .357 but would like some more feedback before making a decision. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
If you are going to the range I would do .357 because you can also use .38 special which is a cheaper round. The big boy steel carbine is now made with a side gate and most Henry’s now have a side gate. - I have been waiting for a X Model in .357/38 but hard to find in NY right now.

Also if you go a place like Calverton and there is a long line for the rifle range they will let you use the pistol range because your rifle is a pistol caliber.

Lastly- just food for thought —the new law signed by the governor will require a license to purchase any semi automatic rifle (lever actions are not affected). So if you are considering purchasing a semi automatic rifle I would prioritize the semi automatic purchase. Even a Ruger 10/22 will require a license to purchase (no exception made for rimfire) license. Another NY Compliant semi automatic rifle is the Ruger PC9 chambered in 9mm.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are going to the range I would do .357 because you can also use .38 special which is a cheaper round. The big boy steel carbine is now made with a side gate and most Henry’s now have a side gate. - I have been waiting for a X Model in .357/38 but hard to find in NY right now.

Also if you go a place like Calverton and there is a long line for the rifle range they will let you use the pistol range because your rifle is a pistol caliber.

Lastly- just food for thought —the new law signed by the governor will require a license to purchase any semi automatic rifle (lever actions are not affected). So if you are considering purchasing a semi automatic rifle I would prioritize the semi automatic purchase. Even a Ruger 10/22 will require a license to purchase (no exception made for rimfire) license. Another NY Compliant semi automatic rifle is the Ruger PC9 chambered in 9mm.
I actually already have the Ruger PC9, probably my favorite firearm I own. My local shop has a Henry .357 sitting for what I feel is a good price considering how everything is now a days. I really like the Henry X models but cannot find a .357 for the life of me. the one they have is a standard wood finish with the side gate. As far as semi autos there isn't really much left I want. I'll probably just grab a few more 10/22s just to have them in the safe.

·
Registered
11,843 Posts
Leveractions are very pricey now. I purchased a beautiful Marlin 1894P .44 Magnum Ported for about $400.00 new in the box a little over 20 years ago. It’s a handy little rifle with the 16 inch barrel. I remember American Outdoors had the stainless guide gun in 45/70 for $500 on sale. My cousin purchased that rifle.
Henry has finally listened and put a side gate. I might be buying one in .357 Magnum. Hopefully a local shop has the Henry in .357 Magnum with the side gate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Leveractions are very pricey now. I purchased a beautiful Marlin 1894P .44 Magnum Ported for about $400.00 new in the box a little over 20 years ago. It’s a handy little rifle with the 16 inch barrel. I remember American Outdoors had the stainless guide gun in 45/70 for $500 on sale. My cousin purchased that rifle.
Henry has finally listened and put a side gate. I might be buying one in .357 Magnum. Hopefully a local shop has the Henry in .357 Magnum with the side gate.
Definitely wish I could find one for that price now a days. I found one for $875 with the side gate I’m contemplating picking it up or not. Also found a side gate with the hardened case for $1299 but I don’t think I can justify a $400 price difference considering it’s just going to be for the range. Leaning towards the standard one for $875.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
If you have your heart set on a Henry, go with the 357 in the big boy steel. If you’re flexible as to manufacture, pick up a Rossi 92 in 357. Considerably less expensive, and a great choice for your intended use. I have on in a 16” barrel configuration and it is a blast to shoot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts