Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a gazebo that I want to put a ceiling fan in.
the gazebo has 2 2X6's together that are side to side,
wire is snaked through a dado in one of the 2X6's,
it is a wet location fan,
I bought a plastic wet location junction box,
the directions say NO to plastic boxes,
I also bought wet location wire nuts,
my question is which box? buy a metal one for a wet location? sounds wrong to me, but I don't want to use the plastic wet location box if it will shatter with a 35lb ceiling fan,
So your help and ideas are welcome thanks in advance, oh ya if your an electrician please say so, so that I know your idea carries real weight.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I have no experience with wet location fans, so take this advice for what it's worth, but an interior fan does not have to hang off the box.
You mount a plate to the ceiling that the fan hangs from which interfaces to the box. That plate can be hung from a metal box, IF the metal box has is rated for fan support (and is correctly supported). But your other option is to use long screws, and attach the plate to the framing behind the box. That would work fine with a plastic box. Note that I'm not talking about 6" long drywall screws. I'd use Grex button head lags. Just don't get something that'll go through your snaked wire.

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
I would and have used a 4" ceiling pan.It is galvanized and a half inch deep.Screw right to the 2x6.Box will be hidden by the fan.
That's what I would do too - you can supplement the box by running longer screws through the fan mounting plate, up through the box (pre-drill holes if needed) into your 2x6's.

again - don't hit the buried wires.

Also the "wet" location.... you're talking about an outdoor gazebo, not a shower so it's not as 'wet' as a 'wet' rating intends to be.

Reactions: NRATC53

·
Registered
178 Posts
It's considered a damp location. You need to use a box that rated for a paddle fan. There are multiple boxes both metal and plastic l based on the type of install. Almost all the boxes come with the proper mounting screws and hardware. Don't use drywall or deck screws. Because.... They are meant for drywall or decks! Duh! If it's directly on the rafter, use a round metal pancake box or a plastic pancake stud hugger box.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
This:

http://m.platt.com/p...aspx?pid=635727

Or this:

https://www.gexpro.c...33F0108.hybris2

Both plastic. The fan will be supported by screws to the stud, and not the box
Those are an option, but were not really made for this purpose.
They're designed for a specific scenario where you want to put a light or fan on a ceiling in a spot that is under a joist. They allow you to mount the fixture flush with the ceiling, and still have sufficient wiring volume within the box to meet code requirements.

In the gazebo in question, it sounds as if a ceiling does not come into play, so an ordinary box is sufficient.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you for helping out plastic pancake it will be.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts