Long Island Shooters Forum banner

HELP: Remington 700 SPS Tactical vs 700P

14K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  hunter won 
#1 ·
Hello all, looking to buy one of these in 308. Now despite the fact that the 700P has a longer barrel, better stock and is about 400-450 more in price, other then that what's the difference and which would you recommend? Thanks

#2 ·
I've been going through a similar comparison of the different models of the 700. IMO, it comes down to what you are looking to do with it, what you would replace right away and what you would eventually replace. If you're going to replace the stock (i think you had posted that in another thread), then there isn't any benefit to paying for the nicer stock if it will eventually become a paperweight.

I want to go for a 700 action clone but they are out of my current price range... take a look at http://www.surgeonrifles.com/actions

#4 ·
I went through the same process a little over a year ago. I went with the SPS and its been great. From the info I could find the actions are the same, shorter barrel and cheaper stock.
The stock is good enough for now, and if I do change it I would have probably changed the 700P stock too.
Take the $$ you save and buy a really good base and rings, you should be able to get a good set for $200.
Then comes the scope, I didnt have the money for anything crazy yet so I got a decent Vortex, good enough for now.
Basically for the $450 you save with the SPS you can get everything you need to start shooting now. In the future if money allows maybe i;ll get an AI stock and some really nice glass but for now the gun shoots great. I have only shot out to 200 yards and the gun is plenty accurate. Quality on therifle is great, the salesman who I have know and trust for years talked me out of the 700P and told me the SPS is the way to go.
After a little over a year and a little over 100 rounds down range I would make the same decision.

#7 ·
Cost vs. Benefit: what are you getting for the extra $450? Are you going to shoot at 1000 yards with a commercial rifle? Probably not. Are you shooting from the bench or will you be lugging either of these around? Long barrels are heavy.
Sit down and think hard about what the extra money buys you from the factory.
Either rifle will shoot better than 95% of shooters. The other 4% are lying, and then there is the 1% who is the competitive shooter who won't consider an off the shelf rifle.
I'm in the 95%, which percentage do you belong to? ;)

#9 ·
Great points. To be honest I'll probably never make it to any place where I can shoot a 1000 yards. Though it is nice to have the capability. The gun would see more hunting then sharp/target shooting. Not to say that it's being purchased for hunting because it's definitely not, but 308 is a nice deer caliber and I'd consider taking it into a stand down the road. None the less, what to do, what to do!

#10 ·
You don't want any of the above rifles for hunting. Those rifles are designed for sub MOA accuracy for repeated shot groups, because that's what snipers require. These rifles have heavy barrels, and very light triggers.
Hunting doesn't require that. Hunting requires MOA accuracy for maybe two or three shots. If you need more than that in the woods, you're not hunting, you're in assault mode. Light weight is more important to a hunter. Lugging an extra three pounds in the woods gets old, fast.

#11 ·
You are right and make a fantastic point. With that being said what do I do. SPS Tactical or 700P. Its such a toss up. I made all the calls today, I know every shop on the Island that has both of them in stock. Tomorrow needs to be the day I make the purchase, I can't wait any longer I just don't know what to do! I Heard once you put the SPS Tactical on bag or shoot from a bipod the stock touches the barrel and makes it no longer free floating (that kind of disturbs me a bit). Haven't heard anything bad about the 700P, but still I'm not sure what to do.

#12 ·
I have a 700P, I personally like the HS stock much better and theats why i went with a 700p this time around, The 700p i bought used and it shoots just as good as the 700spsv. but i don't shoot hand loads and most of the time I don't even shoot match grade. but when I do sholot federal gold match the 700p shooting around .8moa and the 700spsv was shooting 1.2 moa .But I have had much more pratice now along with better glass and mounts. if you like the 700spsv. I wouldn't hesitate on ethier rifle.

#14 ·
Do what I did, get the 700 sps and add/change what you want. The first thing is is the stock has to go, once you put a bipod on it, the weight makes the barrel land on the stock, i.e stock is flexible so you dont have a free floating bbl. I changed mine to a mcmillan stock, added a harris bipod and nightforce glass, the damn thing is a tack driver.

#15 ·
kilroy2981 said:
Do what I did, get the 700 sps and add/change what you want. The first thing is is the stock has to go, once you put a bipod on it, the weight makes the barrel land on the stock, i.e stock is flexible so you dont have a free floating bbl. I changed mine to a mcmillan stock, added a harris bipod and nightforce glass, the damn thing is a tack driver.
Yes but the price wnt up by $2k too.

For hunting, you only need one shot and how you handle that shot means more than 1moa or 4 moa. And if you miss, no one dies. Many hunters shoot 2 rounds a year. And they use a bipod to rest the gun while they watch tv.

#16 ·
Yea that's the problem, once you put a bipod on the SPS tact it pushes the stock up. Quite honestly I don't really want to upgrade the stock right away. That's what has me in between the 2. I wish I could find either of them used but I have no luck so far. I'm not crazy about the look of the 700P stock but none the less it is a quality stock. The SPS tact stock is pretty low end and would have to go, that throws me up to about the same price and 6 inches less of barrel.

#17 ·
Why are you so fixated on a Remington? Why not take a look at Savage rifles? I have two of them in .308. The light barrel with the synthetic stock that I hunt with will put three rounds touching, before heat makes the barrel walk. The other has a varmint profile barrel. It shoots better than I do, all day. Want to shoot the eye out of a squirel target at 100, no problem! Want to do it again and again, no problem.

#18 ·
It's just a personal thing. Savage has come a long way, I had a savage 308 about 17 years ago that was a real piece of junk. Ever since then I always had a thing for them, despite the changes iv heard about them. I know now they are great, it's just a personal preference...

#19 ·
zxracer3 said:
Neither, get the Remington LTR. Basically a smaller/lighter 700p or upgraded tactical, whichever way you want to look at it. It still uses an HS stock but it has a fluted 20" barrel instead of the 26".
Ditto. I also have a Remington 700 LTR,
Bull Fluted Barrel, 1:10" Twist that will serve
190gr - 210gr bullets for long shots if you do
get around to it.

The Remington 700 LTR IS the 700P, but
with a 20" barrel. Very mobile and super
accurate. Will be updating it with a more
sniper action stock and custom muzzle, I
still find the rifle a tad light still.

You might also want to also consider the
Savage FCP-K... for about $800. Solid.

Peace,
GH-07

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.