Long Island Shooters Forum banner

Hello Router Goodby Wireless Printer

1K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  hawkeye 
#1 ·
Fios updated my set top boxes and provided a new "improved" router. Since the installation my Dell wireless printer has ceased to function. I have spent the better part of a week researching a solution but to no avail. I called Verizon and Dell with no results. It seems that the printer does not recognize the new router address. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks.

#2 ·
Have you tried resetting the printer to default and attempting to do a new setup ?

Side note.... Nice to see you write more than a short one liner.

#4 ·
Your printer is probably set to fixed IP address (which is the right way to do it).
On your computer go to start and type in: cmd and hit enter. A black box should open. Then type in: ipconfig /all then hit enter
Make a note of the IP address (your computer's), default subnet mask (usually 255.255.255.0) and gateway IP address (this is your router's IP address)
Go to your printer's network configuration page and check or print the settings.
If it's set for DHCP your printer should be getting the address from the router. The settings for subnet mask and gateway should match your computer's. If the settings are different then change the IP address to whatever your computer's IP address but set the last three digits to something like .120. Then set the subnet mask to match what's on your computer. Finally the default gateway to match what's on your computer. Save the settings.
To test whether your computer in the black box type in: ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and hit enter. Replace the x's with the printers IP address.
Have fun!

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
You have to reconfigure all the wireless devices that use your router. I got a new router, and even though I used the same network name and password , I had to reconnect all the devices to the new router. And especially the wireless printers. I just redid the wireless setup on each, and they worked fine.

#13 ·
I want to take this opportunity to thank everyone for offering suggestions on how to resolve my problems. Unfortunately, none of them worked. I spent another three hours on the phone with Dell who acknowledged that my printer (V525w) is compatible with my Fios router (Actiontec). After three hours they concluded by advising me that there was something wrong with my printer. I told them that I don't believe in coincidence and that a second identical model printer, which I stored and never used, also did not work. They said that they would call me on Thursday after doing further research.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.