Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been like a little kid the last 10 days, checking the UPS tracking site multiple times every day just waiting and waiting for my Suomi to get here.

Anyway, today about 1 or 2 pm I check it again and it says that my Suomi is waiting for me at my FFL. Yay! ;D

So I finish up the yard work I was doing, wash up, and by 3 pm I am at the counter of my favorite gunshop asking for my gun... Then the owner of the shop says "The Suomi? Yeah we got it, but you can't have it today."

I laugh a little... But he looks serious. So I ask him: "Are you serious?"

He answers: "Yeah, I haven't entered it in yet and I have other paperwork to do. Come back first thing in the morning."

Is this not unheard of? I've only done one other FFL transfer, but it seems pretty messed up to me. I mean, how can a shop be so backed up that they aren't doing business by 3 pm?

It's kind of upsetting because the shop I use is a small shop that doesn't honestly have the best prices... but I've always shopped there because until now I've always gotten what I call "small shop service."

·
Anti-Statist
5,359 Posts
Odd. What store? I've never had this happen at Volko or South Shore Sportsman, another reason why I pretty much only use those guys :)

·
Registered
38,956 Posts
I wouldn't be that upset. I can see how doing transfers would be on the bottom of a gunshops priority list.

I don't do transfers normally, but normally just wait until the receiving FFL calls to say its in.

·
Premium Member
2,779 Posts
I would just wait. You already waited 10 days, a shop needs to handle all the paperwork and put it in the acquisition log. One more day is not going to kill you.

If you really wanted a certain firearm and you wanted it same day, you should buy it that day in a local gun store.

·
Zombtac Operator
12,183 Posts
I got the first Suomi on LI received by Volko. If you go through Volko everything will be great, since they only do transfers and they are always smooth and professional even with a primary business going on. Some Gun Shops on LI do transfers begrudgingly. I got one quote of $100 transfer for a Kel Tec Sub 2000 (the screw off we don't want to do transfers quote)! I no longer use Gun Shops to do transfers.

Incidentally, when my Suomi came from J&G Sales it was in a rough cardboard box with the bolt handle sticking right out of the cardboard!

Fun guns, though they have a tendency to jam. Probably the least reliable shooter in my collection, and maybe the heaviest.
Here's my review:
http://www.zombtac.com/suomiM31.htm

Research the known production issues with the TNW Inc. M31. Good luck and enjoy!

·
former ak builder
2,574 Posts
i like how your favorite gunshop treats its "favorite" customer.

find another place.

country gunsmith, best transfers ever.

·
The Artist formally known as AR_Guy
6,913 Posts
No, never happened. I was at my local gun store once when a rifle I ordered arrived in a large shipment of rifles. They logged mine in while I waited and filled out the 4473. I've never been told to come back, if it's in house.

·
200 Warning Points, with a side of bacon.
2,893 Posts
AR_Guy said:
No, never happened. I was at my local gun store once when a rifle I ordered arrived in a large shipment of rifles. They logged mine in while I waited and filled out the 4473. I've never been told to come back, if it's in house.
+1

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'd love to go to Volko, but they are about 90 minutes from me, one way.

I'd rather not share the name of the shop, they've been good to me in the past and I don't want to make mountains out of molehills just yet. But that said, unless he volunteers to make it right somehow, I'll probably be shopping somewhere else next time. I spend far too much money in this sport to not get excellent service, every time.

Cas, that's the impression I was under too. I got a mosin a few months ago from the same FFL and he had joked that it barely touched the floor from when it came off the truck to when it was in my hands... It seemed like he just didn't want to be bothered. :-/

·
Registered
501 Posts
loadingdockman said:
Guess he was doing YOU a favor by doing the transfer for you:hissyfit
unless he was doing it for free, he was NOT doing a favor for anyone. you are paying for a service that in all honesty takes them ~5 minutes of paperwork and is 100% profit for them. theres plenty of places to do transfers.

if you owned a business, would you rather make $30-50 for receiving a package, opening it, writing a line in a book, and doing a background check..... or make $0 and let someone else get that money for a couple of minutes of their time? people always complain about how hard it is to keep a business here in NY, and then they have a problem with someone willing to hand them $40 for a few minutes of service.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Mad Russian said:
How do you know how much time it takes to do the paperwork? What is it with instant gratification?
It probably took the OP longer to drive to the store, then go home empty handed, than it would have taken for them to provide the service that he was paying for and which the store had previously agreed to provide.

I want to know what gun store it was too so I know never to go there.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.