Long Island Shooters Forum banner
361 - 380 of 404 Posts

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,993 Posts
Just got this, a Spreewerke P38. Got a Mauser P38 also, no pics yet, and a Luger will follow

Attachments

Reactions: Yoshinkan

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,993 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Saw this article online. Pic is a my Cz-40b

You may or may not be aware that in 1998 -1999 before Colt got out of the large scale consumer market for handguns, they were working on a joint project with CZ of Czechoslovakia to develop, produce and sell a service sized automatic pistol for the American police and consumer market. Both "Guns & Ammo" and "Combat Handguns" carried blurbs about the impending release of the gun back in 1998 and the 2000 Standard Catalog of Firearms lists the Z40 at the very end of the Colt section. The gun was a hy-brid between the Colt 1911 and the CZ 75B. The frame had the grip contours of the Colt 1911 and the slide and mechanism were that of the CZ 75B in double action only. The gun was to be produced in .40 cal.s&w only, again with an eye on the police market. Just as production got under way at CZ, Colt pulled the plug in the scenario we all know. Interestingly 850 of these guns were produced (some sources say 750). Rather than destroy them, Colt quietly sold them off to a US. distributor called ABN Sports (now in receivership I understand). The guns were marked and packaged as Colt Model Z40's in the same blue Colt boxes, carried Colt warranties and came with complete Colt paperwork and instructions. They have the most amazingly smooth double action trigger I have ever felt, much like a high quality double action revolver.

The CZ-40b is the identical gun only with standard double/single action lockwork. I own one of these too. Since the Z-40 has the "Colt" rollmark on the side I believe it will become a very expensive piece in a few years. If it didn't say "Colt", it would no doubt be just another footnote in history
I have one you are right it is a sweet shooter its very 1911 ish same grip angle love this gun

361 - 380 of 404 Posts