Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need to buy some hand tools for the house.....basic full blown wrench and ratchet set (up to 1/2" driver)....etc.

We're talking the basic oil change, brake job, plumbing, assemble stuff, etc stuff. For the few times I need to go for big breaker bars and such I can grab the racing tools.

My normal answer used to be "go to sears, buy the good set.....add on larger wrenches and ratcheting wrenches, go home and fix stuff."

Now, craftsman is made in China. All of a sudden I'm torn.

What are some decent made in USA tools? I don't need S&K or snap on for what I'm doing here....but I know the harbor freight wrenches I own scare me when they bend, and I dont' want to deal with a ratchet that sucks.

Thoughts? Someone told me proto tools, but they look pretty darn pricey.

-Vick

·
Recovering vegan, bacon saved my life
3,453 Posts
If you're not interested in the higher end tools (Holding a Snap on wrench is the mechanical equivalent of caressing the Holy Grail) The Craftsman professional line puts out a solid set. Can't beat the ease of their warranty system. Walk into any Sears. Below this tier I would say take a look at Kobalt (Lowe's) Husky (Home Depot) and Stanley. Any one puts out a pretty decent quality set for under 80 bucks

Reactions: Silent Revolver

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
+1 for the Husky and Kobalt Sets from Home Depot and Lowes respectively. I have both and I find them to be more than adequate for the tasks you mentioned above. They have lifetime warrantees and won't break the bank.

·
Sharp Shooter!
3,914 Posts
For the regular hand tools, you really can't beat the Craftsman stuff. I have at least three full sets between home, work, and my "traveling" set. Never had a problem. They have changed over the years, but with your stipulation of excluding Snapon and such, it's the best game in town by cost and warranty. For pliers,cutters and such, I have always gone with the Channel lock brand. Started out with them as a kid doing electrical work with my uncle early in my career, and nothing else feels right as their lineman, needle nose pliers, and *****.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I also would go with craftsman on sale. They are way better than harbor freight.

I have two sets of snap-on stuff....one for work and one for the house. I work on german cars professionally so I need the best stuff I can find. I do have a few select craftsman and harbor freight tools mixed in at home.... you know, the tools my knuckles don't depend on, like quarter inch sockets, seal puller, etc..

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,979 Posts
I'm spoiled from using Snap-On, Proto, Williams, Mac, Matco etc for a long time (When you have a wrench in your hand all day long it makes a big difference) Proto is a bit pricey but good, for day to day you probably get by with Craftsman Professional.

·
In my Happy Place
3,752 Posts
S&K made some good stuff, their ratchets were pretty tough, though I don't know if they're still in business. Snap On makes great sockets and wrenches but as far as screwdrivers and hammers go the cheaper brands will do just fine. As states, craftsman tools are always a good bet.

·
airbrushart
5,503 Posts
I like for general tool sets to include ratchets, sockets, screwdrivers etc and like the Lowes Kobalt sets, Craftsman are good as well.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
We would collect all broken craftsman tools from a bunch of men on a jobsite every 6 months or so and send an apprentice to Sears with the bag of damaged tools. Most weren't even broken badly, many with just a tiny bend or minuscule chip missing. The apprentice would walk in with let's say 50 damaged screwdrivers, sockets or whatever and without saying a word an employee would begin the job of fetching a new piece for each damaged one, no questions asked.

I've been using craftsman because they work pretty darn good, not crazy expensive and can be replaced at any Sears. I have snap-ons also but a pain in the neck if you snap a tip off a hook toll( which I do often) it's not so easy to replace not to mention the price premium.

·
Sharp Shooter!
1,181 Posts
I'm spoiled from using Snap-On, Proto, Williams, Mac, Matco etc for a long time (When you have a wrench in your hand all day long it makes a big difference) Proto is a bit pricey but good, for day to day you probably get by with Craftsman Professional.
Williams??? Have 2 drawers full from my Dad.. Still use them.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.