Long Island Shooters Forum banner

H&K VP9 vs P30? Anyone Own a P30? Comments?

5K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  Mac52 
#1 ·
I have held a VP9 at DSI and LOVED IT how it felt, but not a P30.

Anyone own a P30 in 9mm? Like it? Ever compare it to a VP9?

#3 ·
Really? Why is that? Are they replacing it?

#5 ·
Loved how the VP9 felt in my hand. Awesome. Almost melded into my palm. Very comfortable!

#7 ·
I own both and alternate between them for edc. Both have similar grip angles, and share the same mags which is a plus. I prefer my p30 but have always run double/single handguns (first pistol was a m9a1) so I'm accustomed to the heavy first pull.

That said I also really love me vp9 and can ring the 12" steel targets at my local range out to 200 yards with it. Either is a solid choice, if you are considering running it in appendix I vote or the p30 just for the added safety, otherwise I would recommend the vp9 for the better price point.

So far my p30 has had 8k rounds through it without a single issue, vp9 has 3k. I use pmc bronze when training and Hornady critical duty for edc, Haven't had an issue with either (I admit I keep them a bit on the dirty side too)

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have both too... the P30L (LEM) in 9mm and the VP9. It's usually personal preference (hammer vs. striker), but I like my VP9 better... it's a little smaller and less bulky than my P30L and fits like a glove in my hands... and most importantly, I shoot it more accurately! I do LOVE the LEM trigger on the P30L.

Sorry I cannot speak from experience re: the smaller P30... buy them both!
They use the same mags!

Just a side by side comparison... sorry for the less than stellar pics!

Attachments

#18 ·
Sorry inside joke....that's just me being a Richard,,,,but to answer the OP's question a friend was gracious enough to allow me to shoot both to my heart's content. Both are great. I can't see someone going wrong with either or both lol. I give a very slight edge in ergonomic feel to the VP9. Probably just my imagination though. It also felt like it shot just a tad smoother.

#19 ·
I just picked up a P30 SK with the LEM. I have 1500 rounds through without issue. (124 gr) Great little gun. The only modification was to upgrade the sights to Trijicon HD rather than the glow in the dark stock ones. I'm in Ohio as I write this and I like it so much I took it with me rather than one of my 1911's. VP9 is a great feeling gun in the hand but it is very large so to carry it might be cumbersome. If that's not an issue and you are still considering a full size P30 make sure you get the LEM. Completely different experience vs. the DA/SA version. So much that I'm getting the conversion kit for my HK45C.

Attachments

#23 ·
They haven't stopped production of the VP9. Production seems to be directed at a large contract right now. More should be coming before the end of this year. But none are currently in the supply chain.

I have shot the p30 with the LEM and DA/SA triggers. The poor HK triggers kept me from buying one. I prefer the new VP9.

Reactions: trapshooterbob
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.