Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I would like to get the barrel on my 1911 refaced, and recrowned. I called Bensons gun shop in Coram, they have an onsite gunsmith, But he cannot do this ::).

I also called Suffolk shooting supply, and he sends work out. does anyone know of a local(eastern Long Island) gunsmith capable of doing this? I was just going to order the hand tools from Brownell - $150+shipping, but decided to try a local gunsmith. Looks like I might have to get the tools after all :(. I guess with owning the tools, I could do any of my handguns or rifles with the correct pilots ;)

·
Sharp Shooter!
300 Posts
IMHO and past experience there aren't any "competent" pistolsmith's resident on L.I. any more. There are a couple who are self-described pistolsmiths, but none I would personally use for their work.  There are several I know as club members but they do not accept any work. Try the Bullseye Forum for recommendations. "Doc"

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank's Ten ring,

I will just order the tools I need.

I was really suprised with Benson's, that their "gunsmith" couldn't reface and recrown a barrel. I think I will cut my barrel flush to my new EGW beveled bushing, and a nice 11 degree crown(polished) ;) I like this look the more I see it! No rush either, I stripped, dehorned, and smoothed out everything - blended the back of the slide to the frame/extractor - And Duracoated in matte black, It came out nice. I am waiting for it to cure completely before I re-asseble.

·
Banned
3 Posts
"Bob Gunta of Country Gunsmiths in Bohemia
His number is 631 567-1555 "
:)
Thanks for the suggestion Pat. Been looking for a quality smith on long island for some time. Found the suggestion here on this forum. Worked out great. Nice guy with tons of knowledge. He had the right equipment and skills for the job. Mr. Gunta was a pleasure to do business with and was very friendly. He broke from the all too common "What do you want?" attitude you find in most gun related shops on long island. Some times those guys make you feel unwanted. I was pleasantly surprised. He was very welcoming. Carries well priced ammo and accessories too. Great find. As Arnold Schwarzeneggar would say, "I'll be back". Thanks to Bob for operating a great shop. HoldtheLine130 out!

P.S. common google search for Country Gunsmith yields a link to topix.com. Some guy placed a pretty unfair review on there. So if you have good experience with Bob and some time, post your thoughts. Let people outside this Forum know what you think. Like I said it's one of the few Google hits with reviews for Bob's shop. It's hard enough for good shops to operate in this anti-gun climate. Let people read a few comments to be fair. His and mine are the only reviews. Don't have to be a member to post. Here's the link. http://www.topix.com/forum/city/bohemia-ny/TLUBFICKURJAESVM2 . Sorry, gotta copy paste it.

·
moved to greener pastures
10,857 Posts
This is why I read the forums for the most part.
I appreciate hearing others experiences, but am old and crusty enough to judge on my own.
GunBroker also has reviews that might be helpful. Here's Country Gunsmith's.
It looks like some of the posts are by one unhappy buyer.
And to be fair, there could certainly be more than one "Country Gunsmith".
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewUserFeedback.aspx?User=329928

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
Buy the tools and do it yourself - just remember to use cutting fluid, and NEVER turn the cutter backwards.    I can just chuck it in the lathe and face it off if you want to come by (hrm, come to think, I've gotta check and see that the lugs will clear in the new lathe!)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.