Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Sharp Shooter!
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am lookng for a local gunsmith to frame mount and red dot optic on a Springfield 1911  I need to buy the mount an optic and would perfer to do it all in one place.. Any one have an suggestions?

·
Banned
1,332 Posts
DOCTORPC said:
I am lookng for a local gunsmith to frame mount and red dot optic on a Springfield 1911 I need to buy the mount an optic and would perfer to do it all in one place.. Any one have an suggestions?
Joe Ozito. Call Colliseum Guns on Rt. 24 (516) 481-3593 and find out when he is there, or Glen Cove Sports Shop in Glen Cove 516-676-7120. John Cacciola is the gunsmith there. Other than that, I don't know any other gunsmiths on LI that work on handguns.

Also, check out (http://www.edgecustom.com/Mounts.html) scroll to the bottom of the page to see his 1911 mount. But if your Springfield 1911 has a combat sight, chances are his mount won't work, except if you dremel out some of the delrin, which will compromize the structure a bit. Dan Galuppo is very customer oriented.

Any other options will require drilling and tapping into the slide or the frame. What Artburg posted is correct. I think Burris makes a small red dot that can go into the dovetail of your rear sight, but you have to remove the rear sight, and you have to research the type of dovetail you have for a match.

Hope this helps!

·
Assault is a behavior; Not a weapon.
12,115 Posts
I've been looking into doing that very same thing on an inexpensive GSG 1911-.22. You can buy a mount that replaces one grip panel and puts a rail on top. This is by far the easiest option. There's also a mount that gets drilled and tapped onto the frame. another gets drilled and tapped onto the slide.

None of these options work for me. First, I'm rather anal and need matching grip panels. Second, I'm a southpaw and need the ambi safety and the grip panel mount won't work with an ambi safety. The slide mount safety won't work because (in my case) the light recoiling .22 will not have enough oomph to cycle the noticibly heavier slide. The frame mounted mount is almost as much as the gun, and requires drilling and tapping 3 screws on either side of the slide. (At $75.00 each).

Now, there are 2 mounts out there which I'm currently researching ... the first mounts beneath the frame and clamps to the trigger guard. The second replaces the take-down lever pin which would require the mount to be removed every time the gun is taken down for cleaning. I'm not quite sure the mount will go back in place and keep the scope in Zero.
Also, there's one other mount, which rides in the rear sight dovetail. This mount only fits the Doctor style mounts, and only some different dovetail sizes.

I hope some of this helps.

·
Sharp Shooter!
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for all the help i have done lots of research and i do want the scope frame mounted for accuracy just a matter of finding someone to do it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.