Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I need to do a basic tune-up on two rifles - eg. re-bluing and some simple trigger work - I feel a little embarrassed bring them in, but I just don't have the time to do it myself ...

Below are the Gun Shops most convenient to me from our list … Has anyone had any experience with anyone here via-a-vis gun work??

Thanks

T & T Tactical : 2180 Jericho Tpke New Hyde Park, NY 11040-4722 (516) 739-2607

Classic Firearms 156 Jericho Tpke Mineola, NY 11501 (516) 742-6662

Collectors Firearms Ltd: 516-746-8047: 208 Jericho Tpke: Mineola: NY: 11501

Hunter Essentials 900 Willis Ave Albertson, NY 11507-1940 - (516) 741-5243

Coliseum Gun Traders, Ltd. 1180 Hempstead Turnpike Uniondale, New York 11553 516-481-3593

·
115:5
4,036 Posts
None of those places are going to reblue your guns. They're going to send them out to someone else, so you'll be paying the middle man and the shop doing the work.

·
Registered
15,416 Posts
KCK2100 said:
Hey guys I need to do a basic tune-up on two rifles - eg. re-bluing and some simple trigger work - I feel a little embarrassed bring them in, but I just don't have the time to do it myself ...

Below are the Gun Shops most convenient to me from our list … Has anyone had any experience with anyone here via-a-vis gun work??

Thanks

T & T Tactical : 2180 Jericho Tpke New Hyde Park, NY 11040-4722 (516) 739-2607

Classic Firearms 156 Jericho Tpke Mineola, NY 11501 (516) 742-6662

Collectors Firearms Ltd: 516-746-8047: 208 Jericho Tpke: Mineola: NY: 11501

Hunter Essentials 900 Willis Ave Albertson, NY 11507-1940 - (516) 741-5243

Coliseum Gun Traders, Ltd. 1180 Hempstead Turnpike Uniondale, New York 11553 516-481-3593
So - outside of Bob Quinta - who actually does gunsmith work here on LI (and doesn't farm it out)? :-/

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Sounds like Long Island could use a really good gunsmith who works on handguns.

You'd think there would be enough work to keep at least one in business.

·
SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee
6,810 Posts
Sparkz said:
Sounds like Long Island could use a really good gunsmith who works on handguns.

You'd think there would be enough work to keep at least one in business.
Actually, we have not only one but two, who are, also, certified armorers, in the same shop. Try Benson's Gun Shop, in Coram. I've been using the, for more than 25 years.
Gary

·
Registered
533 Posts
Gary_Hungerford said:
Actually, we have not only one but two, who are, also, certified armorers, in the same shop. Try Benson's Gun Shop, in Coram. I've been using the, for more than 25 years.
Gary
I had called to get a 1911 .45 barrel cut and recrowned - they did not offer this service :(

But hey, give em a call, can't hurt.

·
Registered
533 Posts
You can always find the time ;) Not know how, thats another story. But nothing a little reading on the web can't fix.

As far as triggers are concerned, It doesn't take long at all to install a "drop in" trigger. Maybe 5-10 minutes to remove old trigger and install new one ;) Then maybe another 10-15 minutes to adjust and safety test.

There are many home DIY (cold)Bluing products available that offer some real nice results. Strip old blueing and reblue ;)

·
Registered
15,416 Posts
Do Campsite or Hunter Sports do gunsmithing or do they farm it out?

·
Banned
19,574 Posts
There must be a list at the county PD somewhere bvecause they have to be registered as gunsmiths.

Bluing can get real expensive, upwards of $500 in some cases and often exceeding the value of inexpensive guns.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
PeepSight said:
Do Campsite or Hunter Sports do gunsmithing or do they farm it out?
Campsite says they used to have a guy who would work on handguns but he got tired of doing all the paperwork. Now they only work on long guns. Handguns are farmed out and it's a long wait.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Don't waste your time! Just go to:

Robert Guinta
Country Gunsmith
1521 Ocean Ave # B4
Bohemia, NY 11716 -1923
(631) 567-1555

·
Registered
484 Posts
Dont waste your time calling Bob Guinta if it's a handgun, he only does rifles. I called and left a message, he never called back. i called again after a number of days, got him, and he said he doesnt do handguns, apparently he also doesnt have the common courtesy to call back and let you know that. Bob Guinta, just another Long Island Prima Donna.

·
Registered
182 Posts
i called country gunsmith he doesnt do work on triggers to lighten the pull, i asked about a strip down of a gun and full cleaning he said 40 and was in such a rush to get me off the phone. (12 gauge shotgun)

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
Gunsmiths cannot do handgun work out of their homes, part of the rules, why pistol work has to go through a dealer.   Joe Lozito works for Coliseum, he did some excellent work on a SBH for me, barrel cut and crowned and new front sight welded on.  Quality work at reasonable prices.  Rifles I believe can be done from the Gunsmiths home so that Bob Guinta may be able to help you out.  Not sure about blueing, I know it is almost impossible for a plater to exist on LI due to environmental rules.  Most platers are in Connecticut.  Bill

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
willgrah said:
Gunsmiths cannot do handgun work out of their homes, part of the rules, why pistol work has to go through a dealer. Joe Lozito works for Coliseum, he did some excellent work on a SBH for me, barrel cut and crowned and new front sight welded on. Quality work at reasonable prices. Rifles I believe can be done from the Gunsmiths home so that Bob Guinta may be able to help you out. Not sure about blueing, I know it is almost impossible for a plater to exist on LI due to environmental rules. Most platers are in Connecticut. Bill
Yep... I think the last plater was the guy in Copiague, who closed several years ago. (if there's anyone left I want to know!!)

·
115:5
4,036 Posts
radtechy said:
I read on LISC in Islip that they do blueing and its a full service gunsmith. But after my experience with guinta ill look elsewhere first
Their website is REALLY out of date.

Last time I inquired about a simple D&T, they wanted to send it out. Which means it's highly unlikely they're doing anything in house.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.