Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm originally from Rockland County, ny, and I will be staying there overnight this weekend. I wanted to know if any members know of any good stores to stop at either in Rockland or in Bergen, nj. I will be on rte 17 by Paramus, NJ as well.

Thanks for the heads up..

Patrick

·
Registered
38,956 Posts
I live in Rockland and this is what we have to offer locally.

The Firing Line in Pearl River = Sucks

Collectible Arms in Nanuet = Decent selection but still sucks

Davis Shooting in Sloatsburg (well worth the trip)

Gander Mountain in Middletown (great selection and pricing)

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
SIXX_VAN_ROSE said:
Hi Guys,

I'm originally from Rockland County, ny, and I will be staying there overnight this weekend. I wanted to know if any members know of any good stores to stop at either in Rockland or in Bergen, nj. I will be on rte 17 by Paramus, NJ as well.

Thanks for the heads up..

Patrick
There was a place a bit west just off I-80, on the north side... I stopped in there once, guy was OK, don't recall pricing etc (10 years ago maybe?) Don't know if it's still there, but it was a good sized place

·
115:5
4,036 Posts
Pate said:
I live in Rockland and this is what we have to offer locally.

The Firing Line in Pearl River = Sucks

Collectible Arms in Nanuet = Decent selection but still sucks

Davis Shooting in Sloatsburg (well worth the trip)

Gander Mountain in Middletown (great selection and pricing)
If you're going all that way, there's Rix in Goshen, which sadly is kind of crappy now. When it was Bob's it was my favorite store. One of the only "Hands on" gun store you'll ever go to. Meaning the long guns are all out in the open to handle. There's only a fraction of the stock now though. :B

Bob Lounsbury in Middletown... still open I assume? No idea, haven't been there in years. Bob L. always seemed a little proud of his inventory (high prices). A most amazing Winchester collection adorned the walls though, had to be hundreds of rifles, one of each model. Worth stopping just to peek at that if you're in the area (if it's still there).

Master Class shooters Supply in Monroe. Nice shop with indoor range. Not a big selection of guns, mostly used stuff. Mostly good guys there though. I have/had a connection to the store, I still get a lot of reloading stuff from Dennis.

And after I typed all that, looking for the address to Thruway, I found the OCS link with all the Orange county stores.
http://www.ocshooters.com/B/storesranges.htm

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Pate said:
Ramsey Outdoors is on Rt 17 in Paramus, but remember that all retail stores are closed on Sunday.
There are two Ramsey Outdoor stores. One on the Northboun 17 side, one on the Southbound side. The one on the southbound side is definitely open on Sundays, as I always stop there on the way back from hunting. It's not in the town of Paramus which has the Sunday closing laws.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the help guys!!!  PATE, what part of rockland you from? You born in Rockland? I grew up in Valley Cottage, then moved around. nanuet, New city, Pearl River... I've been around.

·
Registered
38,956 Posts
Postal Bob said:
There are two Ramsey Outdoor stores. One on the Northboun 17 side, one on the Southbound side. The one on the southbound side is definitely open on Sundays, as I always stop there on the way back from hunting. It's not in the town of Paramus which has the Sunday closing laws.
True.....He mentioned Paramus, so that's why I pointed it out. Here is the info on both stores.

240 Route 17 North (9:00 AM to 9:30 PM
Paramus, NJ 07652 Monday thru Saturday
(201) 261-5000 Closed Sunday)

835 Route 17 South (9:00 AM to 9:30 PM
Ramsey, NJ 07446 Monday thru Saturday
(201) 327-8141 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM, Sunday)

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pate said:
I was born on Long Island, but moved to Pearl River 7 years ago.
do you go to the shooting range where cvs used to be? I like the Pearl River Saloon. I used to have a office in town by the movie theatre.. I like Pearl River alot.

·
Registered
38,956 Posts
That's the Firing Line. I don't shoot there. I went in years ago and was treated like total crap. I gave them another chance in September and went back in with a friend to buy 2 LCP's. They wouldn't even stop talking and offer any help.

I joined the Pearl River gun club and shoot at our private range.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I dont get why you would say collectible arms sucks ? i was thier over the weekend , they had an excellent selection of guns and they were very friendly . they even bought me lunch (never had that happen at a gun shop before ). thier prices were great i got 380 ammo for 20.00 a box of 50 . i also got 9mm for 16.00 dollars a box , they had some of the best ammo prices around . they are a friendly bunch of guys and i would recomend them to everyone . ]

·
Registered
38,956 Posts
I've gone in there twice. The first time was looking to see a gun they had listed on Gun Broker. They wouldn't even take the time to stop looking at his auctions to show me the gun. I looked at it through the glass and left. I recently went in again looking for a bipod. The had none in stock, told me they could order it in and have it by Tuesday the next week. Went back, still no bipod and was told they never ordered it. Went across the street and bouht some pickles at the Ny Pickleman and never looked back.

As I stated, they have a decent selcetion of new and used, but the pricing is marginal at best. Nobody on the forum lives in Rockland so this is kind of a useless post.

·
Registered
839 Posts
So far I've tried Davis and Firing Line. Three visits to firing line, all semi-unpleasant. Five visits to Davis Sport Shop.. a Remington 700, 870, Springfield XDM and a couple of hundred dollars in ammo and misc stuff later I think I've found my go-to store.

·
Registered
6 Posts
wow , that dont sound like the guys i met . when i was thier they made me feel like i was part of the group . you know they cant stock everything and they have not been around long , i think the owner told me its just over two years they have been in the gun shop buiseness . by the way they had bi pods in stock , i saw it hanging on the wall ?

·
Registered
38,956 Posts
Davis is great. I bought quite a few things from them. Their FFL transfer fee of $50.00 was steep though.

Go to Collectible Arms in Nanuet and tell us what you think.

·
Registered
38,956 Posts
colt guy said:
wow , that dont sound like the guys i met . when i was thier they made me feel like i was part of the group . you know they cant stock everything and they have not been around long , i think the owner told me its just over two years they have been in the gun shop buiseness . by the way they had bi pods in stock , i saw it hanging on the wall ?
Who knows, maybe I just caught them on some bad days. Everybody is allowed to have them!

·
Banned
6,050 Posts
I don't know....when I went there, they bought me a car, cosigned for my mortgage, gave me 10% off on a box of minimags, then I got a back rub. I made sure I memorized all their prices and what they had in stock, just in case I ever had to defend them on an internet forum.  :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.