Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Guns and Ammo" in Bohemia.

4762 Sunrise Hwy
Bohemia, NY 11716
631-244-0915

On the south service road of Sunrise Highway.

My

Been in there a few times lately.
Crowded shop, has lots of long arms, just a few handguns.
Lots of used long arms as well.
He has some M1 Carbines, and Garands as well.

Pricing seems to be fair from the tag browsing I've done, and from a couple of used rifles I looked at.
With my CMP orders looming, I just didn't take the dive.

I found, that once you get past Brian's gruff front, he's a good guy.
I'm sure all the browsers and brain pickers make for a hard day.

He has a gunsmith local to him that he works with, I just don't know the name of the gunsmith's shop.

FFL transfers were reasonable, 40 bucks each.
I had to get two wheel gun replacements from Ruger, and used him for the FFL transfer from the factory.
All went smooth, and quick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
666 Posts
Yep, Brian is a decent guy, he does the transfers at the Babylon gun show or at least did for the last year or two. He had some high prices for AK's and that was before the Obama panic, but also had some neat Pre-ban stuff, and is an all around decent guy to talk to/ deal with. He did a transfer for me and was pretty helpful. He has some pet birds in his shop that mimic the sound of his voice on the telephone, its pretty funny.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
phumb said:
is that 40 for transfer + tax on the gun value?
Just 40 bucks each.... is all I paid.
Again, I had replacements coming in from the OEM, I paid "factory cost" for them directly to the OEM before shipment.
It was a warranty option.

I'm not sure what would happen , or if there is a difference if you are buying from another shop and doing the FFL into a local shop.
I guess I could see where he may need to collect local sales tax.
You would have to ask him.

Just looking at the store owner's point of view....
But before you do, of course see if he has one in stock before you attempt to use him for transfer.
The must be like a smack in the face to the store owner when someone uses them for a transfer, instead of buying off the shelf from them...
When I did my transfers, this crossed my mind and I just read the same thought in another thread on here.
But I wasn't buying retail, just dealing with a warranty option offered to me by Ruger.
 

·
115:5
Joined
·
4,036 Posts
I would assume because of the situation he didn't charge you.

When you buy something online from out of state you are supposed to pay tax on it. There's a section on your state tax returns for that. He has no obligation or authority to collect it, only on the tranfer fee itself.

Many people have been through this with him. So he either steadfastly refuses to find the right answer, or he's using that state as a means of stealing. You decide.

I've heard him tell some whoppers about legal issues, ones that would make the needle jump off the "BS Meter" and stick in the wall.... so who knows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
990 Posts
that puppy is part wolf known Brian for 4 years ruff exterior really nice and knowledgable person.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,332 Posts
I called them today looking for a 1911 in the $1500 and up range.

He told me that he had some Colts and Kimbers in that price range. I then asked if he had Ed Brown, and his response was "I wouldn't carry any aftermarket products like Ed Brown when there are plenty of Colts and Kimbers around"

I just thanked him for his help, but I don't understand that comment.

Is there anyone here who can interpret that comment for me?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,332 Posts
xdguy said:
that puppy is part wolf known Brian for 4 years ruff exterior really nice and knowledgable person.
I like that dog, very friendly. Also, there were birds in there as well. I agree in that Brian is very knowledgeable, and at least if the store isn't crowded, he will take out alot of time to talk with you and answer any questions you may have.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,543 Posts
I went there a little while back. Store was empty. Actually it was a "Dump"
After a few minutes he finally comes out of the back of the store, not looking particularly happy. ( I must have interupted him watching Oprah or something)
I asked him what he had in the way of inexpensive 22LR's. He seemed reluctant to show me anything, like it was some it was some kind of a burden.
I guess since I wasn't looking to spend $1000, it wasn't that important to him.
I then thought to myself "F*** Him". I'll never go back there.
He can keep his dumpy Store and his dumpy dog.
 

·
200 Warning Points, with a side of bacon.
Joined
·
2,893 Posts
Strat688 said:
I went there a little while back. Store was empty. Actually it was a "Dump"
After a few minutes he finally comes out of the back of the store, not looking particularly happy. ( I must have interupted him watching Oprah or something)
I asked him what he had in the way of inexpensive 22LR's. He seemed reluctant to show me anything, like it was some it was some kind of a burden.
I guess since I wasn't looking to spend $1000, it wasn't that important to him.
I then thought to myself "F*** Him". I'll never go back there.
He can keep his dumpy Store and his dumpy dog.
+1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,260 Posts
I know we have been through this before but again:

1- This is the age of the internet, if you can't match the price you need to
- Not be surprised if someone comes in for a transfer (hey talk about easy money)
- Offer customer service that makes people want to buy from you even if the price is higher

That leads me to...

2 - You own a business, just cause gun shops got some kind of "be a prick" pass for all these years doesn't mean it still flies. Remember "Nobody beats the Wiz", Circuit City, ______ ---- guess what, keep it up and you'll be next.

/rant done
 

·
200 Warning Points, with a side of bacon.
Joined
·
2,893 Posts
BirdistheWord said:
I know we have been through this before but again:

1- This is the age of the internet, if you can't match the price you need to
- Not be surprised if someone comes in for a transfer (hey talk about easy money)
- Offer customer service that makes people want to buy from you even if the price is higher

That leads me to...

2 - You own a business, just cause gun shops got some kind of "be a prick" pass for all these years doesn't mean it still flies. Remember "Nobody beats the Wiz", Circuit City, ______ ---- guess what, keep it up and you'll be next.

/rant done
+1000
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,946 Posts
stevenorlando said:
I called them today looking for a 1911 in the $1500 and up range.

He told me that he had some Colts and Kimbers in that price range. I then asked if he had Ed Brown, and his response was "I wouldn't carry any aftermarket products like Ed Brown when there are plenty of Colts and Kimbers around"

I just thanked him for his help, but I don't understand that comment.

Is there anyone here who can interpret that comment for me?
It just sounds like a personal preference to me. Nothing more. Ed Brown and others make fine 1911s and are sold as high-end custom guns which are limited in production numbers due to the amount of hand work involved with making them. Colts, Kimbers, S&W and others are "factory made" and it just appears that he has his preferences towards those and may simply oppose the "aftermarket" brands. Like inexpensive cars and expensive cars . . . they all do the same thing . . . but just how much nicer is one from the other and how much is someone willing to put up to own one is the question,
and . . . a personal decision to do so.

Happy hunting for a 1911 that fits your needs. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,630 Posts
stevenorlando said:
I called them today looking for a 1911 in the $1500 and up range.

He told me that he had some Colts and Kimbers in that price range. I then asked if he had Ed Brown, and his response was "I wouldn't carry any aftermarket products like Ed Brown when there are plenty of Colts and Kimbers around"

I just thanked him for his help, but I don't understand that comment.

Is there anyone here who can interpret that comment for me?
Its a opinion, thats all. I personally like Dan Wesson again personal preference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,721 Posts
lmfao are u guys kidding me?im in there all the time talkin to brian just keep goin in there an eventually hell warm up 2 ya
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,721 Posts
sorry didnt mean to come off like a tool but each time i walk into the store im always greated by brian and always sit there and bs wit him n i figured he isnt here to defend himself so someone must
 
1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top