Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The months of posts on this topic have finally gotten to me, hence this thread!

Maybe one day this will be a reality, but I figure with 2,000 members, someone on here might start a gun shop one day. When you do, here is a recipe for success.

When I go to a gun store I expect:

1 - You to have a positive attitude, if you are having a bad day stay home.
2 - Your price + service offering to represent a good value. If you can't beat the internet (few can) give me the customer service to make up for the difference.
3 - Answer my questions without the baggage of years of "finger banging". (Every other industry has tire kickers, if for some reason the laws of business don't apply to your shop, by all means let me know why. Otherwise...deal with it without an attitude.
4 - Under no circumstances are you doing me a favor. You own a business, you won't own it much longer in the age of internet if you treat me like I SOMEHOW OWE YOU SOMETHING!

You guys have any?

·
Registered
8,117 Posts
Agree with everything you say, except for #2 when you say beat Internet pricing(not the customer service part). All "shops" have overhead, stock, payroll and most important the rent and other bills, meaning they just can't compete with internet pricing.

·
moved to greener pastures
10,857 Posts
Just give me the courtesy and respect I give you.
I have said it before. I understand nothing is free and it's unreasonable to shop a brick and mortar guy against the Internet. Therefore, I have no objection to paying a bit more for superior customer service.
And please - don't try to BS me. I've been at this a very long time.
Give those little things to me and you have a customer more than happy to pay you a fair price for your goods, time and expertise.
And don't ever, ever, ever, tell me for any reason, that I bought whatever you sold me at cost. Usually preceeded by 'what do you expect"?
I'm not your partner and really don't care nor do I believe it for a minute.
We all have certain things that drive us up a wall. That's one of mine.

·
115:5
4,036 Posts
One of my best friends worked in a gun shop and I liked the way he did things. He didn't know "everything" and didn't even try to pretend he knew a lot. If he didn't know something (and it was often) he would tell you. The best thing I can hear in a gun shop is "I don't know", because at least it's honest. Far better than BS and outright fabrication and lies you get from some places.

That's what I want, honesty. Don't make up ****. Don't try and BS me.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You guys bring up some good additional points.

I mean it comes down to some obvious stuff, but its just so disheartening, especially with our new members, when I realize how "beat down" the LI gun buyer is when it comes to their expectations for the store.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I don't need any schmoozing from a gun store. It's a business transaction, pure and simple. I know what I want, I know the price I will pay, and I make it quite clear that I am there to buy and not kick the tires with my hanger on friends in tow.

It's amazing how much attention you can get when you walk into a gun store a knowledgeable purchaser and don't look like you couldn't afford to rub two nickels together.

I have dealt with the Marty types all the way back to multitudes of ornery salesmen at Eidelmans. Is it pleasant?, no..but I look at a gun shop like a car dealer...I'm not there to schmooze or be your friend..just get me the right price on what I want.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gpsma said:
I don't need any schmoozing from a gun store. It's a business transaction, pure and simple. I know what I want, I know the price I will pay, and I make it quite clear that I am there to buy and not kick the tires with my hanger on friends in tow.

It's amazing how much attention you can get when you walk into a gun store a knowledgeable purchaser and don't look like you couldn't afford to rub two nickels together.

I have dealt with the Marty types all the way back to multitudes of ornery salesmen at Eidelmans. Is it pleasant?, no..but I look at a gun shop like a car dealer...I'm not there to schmooze or be your friend..just get me the right price on what I want.
No offense (truly), but I think a portion of that thought is a direct product of buying guns on Long Island. The easiest way to prove the point is to think of it like this:

Your average rifle/pistol is about what a TV costs. I can buy a TV online or at say Best Buy (or a smaller retailer). What do I expect at these retailers:

- Friendly and knowledgeable staff (not the soup nazi expeirence as described in the above quote)
- Pricing that either matches the internet or provides me with additional value (accidental damage warranties, local resource, etc)
- A non-rushed (and not hostile) environment, especially given the $ size of the purchase and if I happen to be "new" to the item/type of item

Do I expect a new friend in the proprietor of the gun shop, no, but feeling you need to "show you are there to buy and not tire kick", that is a pure product of the environment, not what is right. Just because these owners have beat us into submission thinking that is what the experience should be, doesn't mean it has to continue like that.

·
Gun Enthusiast
1,040 Posts
Considering that gun owners usually own more than one weapon and generally have collections, the fact is that a good relationship with a gun shop is in everyone's best interest. The successful salesman works hard to keep you happy so that your next purchase is with him and not someone else-after all, you're paying his salary. The gun owner benefits from the extra time given by choosing the right item. It's not like there's a line going out the door in most gunshops in this economy.
I may be a newbie to handguns, but I've been around firearms all my life and am old enough to remember dealing with a local gun shop where I grew up. My entire family dealt with this one shopkeeper and yes, we did pay more for the gun or the shells, but we got service that Edelmans didn't give and more importantly, we got treated like valued customers who could go and buy somewhere else if we weren't treated fairly.

But then again, there were more gun shops around in those days (60's and '70's), and you could vote with your feet. These guys seem to forget that there is the internet and there are mass merchandisers like Gander Mountain and Cabelas who can offer a lower price to the "educated" consumer.

I'm awaiting my handgun license and will see if the horror stories I've read here on the site are true. I can always shop the internet and use the FFL guy my best friend uses if they are. :usflag

·
Registered
795 Posts
BirdistheWord said:
When I go to a gun store I expect:
1 - You to have a positive attitude, if you are having a bad day stay home.
2 - Your price + service offering to represent a good value. If you can't beat the internet (few can) give me the customer service to make up for the difference.
3 - Answer my questions without the baggage of years of "finger banging". (Every other industry has tire kickers, if for some reason the laws of business don't apply to your shop, by all means let me know why. Otherwise...deal with it without an attitude.
4 - Under no circumstances are you doing me a favor. You own a business, you won't own it much longer in the age of internet if you treat me like I SOMEHOW OWE YOU SOMETHING!
You guys have any?
Thats a great list ill just expand a little bit.

1. If I enter the store and approach the counter I expect to at least be acknowledged, a simple hello or can I help you goes a long way. I shouldn't have to stand there and wait for you to finish your conversation with another employee to be helped (cough t&t).
2. Do not be prejudiced towards your customer, don't assume because a person is young, or looks differently than you that they aren't serious about buying.
3. Do not get mad if a customer asks to see a number of handguns especially 1911's that have a million different versions in your display case. Im spending upwards of a grand, i'm not going to pick the first one up and be satisfied.
4. If you don't want to budge on price explain your reasoning ie: you haven't added much markup (I completely understand everyone needs to make a buck) and your price should obviously reflect that. Certainly do not laugh in a customers face and say no.. yea im talking to you coliseum gun traders.

Basically you should aim to be like Sean at campsite or Bruce at hunter essentials. I didn't know gunshops like that existed until I tried them. Campsite is out of the way but I make it a point to go there anyway.

·
APPLESEED RIFLEMAN NRA LIFE-ENDOWMENT MEMBER
3,076 Posts
If you are treated with honor and respect, not only will you purchase from them but you more than likely purchase from them again.  To be treated with honor is to to be given a fair price and given what you expected to purchase.  New is new and used is used, no BS and no shenanigans.  To be treated with respect means you should not be looked down on or made fun of, and have all your questions answered, even the ones the proprietor would consider silly, without any hint of that "What are you, some kind of idiot?" look that some store owners give customers.  I always prefer to buy from local stores than the net.  But the shopkeeper must realize he must do everything in his power to make me continue to prefer his sales and service over the more likely less expensive internet alternatives.  Give me what I want at a fair price and good attitude and you will have a customer forever.  A customer who will refer others to you too so they can enjoy purchasing from you with the knowledge that the price is fair and your service is excellent.

·
The Sysop
36,800 Posts
stratdragon92 said:
btw, love the editing feature. i wrote a-hole, and it turned it into tushy hole. lol
Servers work hard to ensure this site is family friendly ;)

·
moved to greener pastures
10,857 Posts
Gpsma said:
I'm not downplaying anything you said. Valid points.
But maybe I'm odd, but I do not always know what I want. Sometimes I am there just to kick tires, see what's new, and see if something catches my eye. Sometimes I leave with an idea of what I saw that I liked, how much it was, and go home and start working on the other half to see if there are funds.
Sometimes I leave with something or at least knowing what I want.
And as far as hanger on friends, I have brought countless newbies to shops so they could get over their apprehension of walking into a shop on their own. I have also brought friends who have never been to a paticular shop, just to introduce them.
No harm in that as far as I can see. In fact, I would think a savvy shop owner would realize that he has a potential new customer checking out the shop. Most people don't buy anything on their first visit. guns, cars, etc.
I am not an idiot - if the shop is packed and I'm just looking around, I'm not going to demand a conversation. A polite nod or 'hello' will do just fine.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Awesome items guys, keep it coming. It might be a long shot but if we can keep this thread clean/helpful, it would be a distinct asset to LIF and any potential sponsors/even just your average gun store.

While that wasn't my goal for starting it, it could be a cool offshoot.

I (in Marketing) would DIE/PAY for this thread in my industry created by buyers. This is basically the holy grail you create entire positions around in a company to find out.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
In my opinion, a retailer's most important task is to make sure the customer feels comfortable and appreciated, so that they in turn will appreciate the business and be willing to buy. If I walk into a store and get lousy service, I'm only going to buy what I want if they just so happen to have a good price and I'm not worried about service, though I may likely just walk out. If I walk into the store and they are friendly and do their best to help me, then I'm going to be very appreciative and comfortable, and I will be more willing to spend money because I got that good service and feel welcome.

I notice that when you come in and you make it known that you intend to buy, you get better service. That's natural, the employee knows he needs to keep you happy, so that you actually will buy. However, some places don't seem to realize that they need to make the customer happy first, because that is what determines if the customer intends to buy or not.

And a shop has to compete with the internet, so their only real advantages over the internet are service and convenience. They need to make the shopping experience better than the internet, the customer has to be able to compare and handle products, and get answers to questions. Obviously there is a line where a shop cannot handle a bunch of window shoppers looking at and asking questions about every gun on the shelf, but if a customer wants to know how say three different compact polymer frame handguns compare, the shop needs to have some honest answers, or at least some good resources on hand to give to the customer.

·
Registered
675 Posts
stratdragon92 said:
don't be an elitist asshole. Not everyone was raised with a gun in their hand from day one and no one knows everything.
I hope that wasn't addressed to me because it is uncalled for. If you want to refute my points, do so like others on here and not resort to name calling. It is very immature.

·
Assault is a behavior; Not a weapon.
12,115 Posts
Hey, it's a two way street.

If there's 2 clerks in the store and you're tire kicking for over an hour, let the clerk go and ring up a few sales while you continue to look around.

If the clerk has a bad attitude when you walk in, consider that the person before you may have caused a real serious commotion. (The first time I walked into South Shore Sportsman, Mike and his clerk were both "on edge" to say the least. Originally, I thought they both had attitude problems. Only later did I learn that the previous customers were there to rob the place).

Oh, and my biggest peeve ... don't go walking in with a new rifle, and a new scope to have the scope mounted and boresighted and all the while let all the other customers know how much cheaper it was at Dicks, or on the internet. I've seen that one way too many times.

Remember ... the idiot on our side of the counter sometimes causes the attitude on their side of the counter !!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.