Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only been on this site for only a day or so but I have scoured it pretty good so far. One thing I see most of you talking about is your purchases at gun shops and whether, or not, you like the store and its personnel.

I know there are very few left on the Island but gun shows were the place to buy guns. I probably have a collection of about 75 firearms and most were bought at the shows. I use to hit all the decent shows, not only on LI, but upstate NY and into PA. You can usually bargain better at the shows and, for the most part, the dealers were pretty nice.

Haven't been to shows in awhile but I bet you will still get a better deal on firearms at the shows than you will from any dealer on Long Island.

·
The Sysop
36,800 Posts
AS far as gun shows, there is one held in Hauppauge in the union hall.  I also know of one that is in Babylon.  Others will chime in.  Unless your talking about gun shows out of state..

·
Registered
893 Posts
The gun shows on Long Island, are really not that great.  Been to a couple and it's nothing worth writing about.  The one in Hauppauge was ok, but the prices was still high, good for the odds and ends, but  buying a new or used firearm was still top dollar....only way to score on a gun show is to go out of town (off the island).  Even picking up some odds and ends probably didn't even make it a deal considering there was a $7 cover charge.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The current shows are not worth attending. They seem to be small and many vendors are no longer participating. When they were a little better you could always get a deal...as long as you knew how to negotiate. My favorite tactic was to scout out the show in the morning and, if I found a gun I wanted,  then stop back just before closing on Sunday and ask the vendor if he really wanted to pack that gun back up or did he want to sell it now. Amazing how many people wanted to make a last minute deal.  

·
The Sysop
36,800 Posts
Hmm. LIF road trip to a firearms store!!!!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Being a Suffolk resident I know I can obtain a purchase document and go to a NY gun show to purchase a handgun.

How does it work with an out-of-state (i.e. PA) gun show? Will they have to do a transfer to a NY FFL? If so, does the transfer process basically negate the deal you are getting?

How does the process work for long guns? I was at an out of state competition a while back and there was a vendor selling rifles. He would only ship to and FFL in the buyer's state. I wasn't sure if this was a local law, a NY law or just his own policy.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have never purchased a handgun out of state and I can not comment on how to do it or the laws involved.

It has been years since I purchased a long arm at an out of state gun show but all I did was fill out the normal ATF paperwork. There were no background checks at gun shows back then. Then I would throw the rifle in the trunk and drive carefully through NYC.

·
Registered
48 Posts
the most recent show in free port really sucked. every thing sold was either an antique or a novelty.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
mikeee said:
So whats the best out of state show you guys have been to within a drive from ny?
I been to the one in York, Pa a couple of weeks ago. Prices was okay but not great. No bulk ammo unless you are into wolf, brown bear etc. I did pick up some mags for my pistols at a cheaper price than I seen on line. And Pa. shows sell everything from body armour, smoke bombs , and many tables if you are into reloading. But it was a long drive(4 hours) but I had to see for myself. I also heard Vally Forge (King og Prisssia) Pa. is pretty good and its about 1-1 1/2 hours closer

·
Uh-oh...
12,524 Posts
jrm said:
Being a Suffolk resident I know I can obtain a purchase document and go to a NY gun show to purchase a handgun.

How does it work with an out-of-state (i.e. PA) gun show? Will they have to do a transfer to a NY FFL? If so, does the transfer process basically negate the deal you are getting?

How does the process work for long guns? I was at an out of state competition a while back and there was a vendor selling rifles. He would only ship to and FFL in the buyer's state. I wasn't sure if this was a local law, a NY law or just his own policy.
Granted, this is from the current Nassau Pistol License Declaration Form:

I ACKNOWLEDGE THAT SHOULD A NASSAU COUNTY PISTOL LICENSE BE ISSUED:

"I can not transport a firearm directly into New York State. If I want to purchase a firearm form out-of-state, I must have a Federal Firearms Dealer from outside of New York State ship the firearm to a Federal Firearms Dealer within New York State. I can then obtain a Purchase Document from the Nassau County Police Department Pistol License Section to purchase the firearm."

It does say "firearm", not specifically "pistol", so, unless someone else has some better insight on this, I would assume you can't purchase a firearm from out of state. For an FFL fee for as little as $25, it's not worth the trouble.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Not very close, but I went to a show in Manchester NH.  It was SICK!!!!!  I was like a kid in a candy store.  They had anything and everything.  Antiques to AR's, .50 Cals, AK's, tons of parts and lots of ammo.  You would have to have any long guns shipped to an FFl though.  I got 1000 rds of 7.62x39 (golden tiger) for 200 bucks.  It was a couple bucks more than Wolf, but was told it was much more accurate stuff.  Also picked up 5 pre ban 30rd AR mags for 20 bucks.  The vendor laughed and said I must be from NY because we are the only ones "buying this old used sh!t".  I was planning on going to a PA show, just trying to figure out which one is good.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I use to go to the Forks of the Delaware show at the Allentown Agricultural Hall. It was a very large show with many vendors. They sold guns, ammo and gun related items. Haven't been there in years but it was a very popular well run show.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.