Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have all read the many posts regarding problems with specific gun shops on Long Island her at LIF. I know that many of the shop owners are "silent" members (that is they don't identify themselves as such), and read the posts.

I would like to encourage them to answer some of our questions, and complaints and perhaps explain a misunderstanding, and justify their actions. This would not only help us, but obviously help them as businessmen as well.

What do you think?

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
I agree. I cringe at any bashing done by members (even if it is deserved). I think constructive feedback (positive and negative) is vital. Many times we only hear the one side of a story. When you hear both sides the perception changes drastically. I would welcome store owner replies. Maybe we could have the store owners PM the board moderator and have the moderator post the replies to criticism to a locked thread to prevent any flame wars breaking out.

Just an idea. Anyone have any other ideas?

·
The Sysop
36,800 Posts
I've spoken to many store owners. They simply want to 'stay out' of any controversial threads. There feeling is that they will be bombarded with PMs and such.

Plus, the store owner would be in violation of my Rule 6. However, a good point was made to PM a mod/admin. I would be inclined to also provide an email address to make it easier; [email protected] longislandfirearms.com

All owners also have our phone # as well.

I do get the 'take down this post' calls on occasion.. Do I ? Well you tell me ;)

·
Banned
6,303 Posts
The Architect said:
I've spoken to many store owners. They simply want to 'stay out' of any controversial threads. There feeling is that they will be bombarded with PMs and such.

Plus, the store owner would be in violation of my Rule 6. However, a good point was made to PM a mod/admin. I would be inclined to also provide an email address to make it easier; [email protected] longislandfirearms.com

All owners also have our phone # as well.

I do get the 'take down this post' calls on occasion.. Do I ? Well you tell me ;)
I've also had some conversations with some owners about this site.Most positve,some not good or bad.I agree that they want to "stay out "of
some threads.It also seems that some believe because they shop and like a particular shop they can speak on behalf of that store and make crazy claims etc.The shop owners know what is said on here and besides saying good things,they wish people would'nt do that.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Gun shop owners should look at the negative comments posted about them as a wake-up call. We are smart enough to realize that if you hear about someones bad experiance in a store, and now one else is complaining, then it's usually an isolated incidence. But when you hear many people with exactly the same complaints about a gun store, then it's time for the shop owner to realize they need to change the way they treat their customers.

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
I like the idea of the semi-anonymous responses... being 'filetered' through the admin keeps us comfortable in that we know it's from a valid source, and making the final posting anonymous keeps the 'poster' (shot owner - OR Employee for that matter!) from getting hammered with hate mail, etc.

It would be great to hear "Hey, how can I make this better?" (Hint, the biggest gripe seems to be unprofessional demeanor)

·
Tactical Shrubbery!!
3,802 Posts
Parashooter said:
I like the idea of the semi-anonymous responses... being 'filetered' through the admin keeps us comfortable in that we know it's from a valid source, and making the final posting anonymous keeps the 'poster' (shot owner - OR Employee for that matter!) from getting hammered with hate mail, etc.

It would be great to hear "Hey, how can I make this better?" (Hint, the biggest gripe seems to be unprofessional demeanor)
I know of one who has dealt with the "unprofessional demeanor" in their store and they are better for it. If they all started to do that with all of the new gun owners and reenergized older owners, it would be a pretty competitive business.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I think its its a good idea. Hell, if I owned a gun store and knew that there was a locally based website, with a thousand local shoppers, I would want to hear some feedback on how I could make my business more appealing. Granted, I know that you cant make everyone happy, but it would be nice to try.

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
8,073 Posts
If a gun store was unfairly slandered on here there is enough members who would object vigorously and with facts.
On the contrary, those shops that have been unfavourably reviewed here have been in their dishonorable position because of repeated, similar negative reports from a variety of posters, over a substantial period of time.

Some businesses pay big bucks for market research and feedback from customers as part of their quality control strategy. The LI gun shops get it free here. What they do with it remains to be seen.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I try to imagine what the day is like for some gun shop owners/employees, and I can imagine them getting some people who really test your limits and can make you get very sour towards customers after years of putting up with people's BS. A bit understandable, but still, it certainly won't improve customer relations. I've found that lots of business owners are very stubborn and for some reason many (obviously not nearly all, but still very many), insist on screwing over the customer, seemingly blind to the fact that a few extra bucks made now will not make up for the fact that said customer will never return. Those business owners, of which there seem to be a few in firearms retail on LI, will almost never get it, and there's no helping them. Some will understand what the consumers demand and they will make changes. The best influence is probably when a business owner sees one place receiving praise for their business practices, and then they go and try to implement those practices at their own business. Emulating a successful model is more motivational than being told how much your business sucks. We should avoid bashing companies, but we do need to point out the areas in which some retailers need improvement, and how they can make those improvements. Those with the desire to, will follow what the consumers want and they will improve. but don't expect perfection from anyone, though I understand that several LI retailers do approach perfection in their customer service. Like gmirsky said, constructive criticism, not just bashing. I would indeed like to hear from some of the retailers that have some bad track records on how they recognize problems in their stores and the actions they are taking to correct them. I've heard of some improvements already, so we know that word of mouth and this forum is having good impact. It feels worst when you go to a store and had a good experience, then you hear how they just screwed someone over, and then you don't know whether or not they deserve your business again. There's a store I had high hopes for after a positive buying experience and hearing some good news about things improving there a lot, then I hear about shoddy work and lies to a customer, not sure I will return if that's still going to happen.

·
Lousy Shot
16,249 Posts
I don't think it really matters what they would say here in an online forum. What matters is how a merchant conducts his business. As for discussing our opinions and experiences at shops and ranges - that's what an online forum is for. Members helping members. Steering each other in the right directions and warning each other of pitfalls.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.