Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Clinger
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the ago old question ... Which will hit the ground first ..a bullet fired from a gun or a bulled dropped from the same height?

Probably should be a poll before you view the video.

·
Premium Member
3,568 Posts
Not surprising. Gravity is gravity. Forces perpendicular to gravity don't effect the gravitational pull, which if I remember HS or whatever physics, is 9.8 m/s2 toward the earth's surface.

·
Clinger
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not surprising. Gravity is gravity. Forces perpendicular to gravity don't effect the gravitational pull, which if I remember HS or whatever physics, is 9.8 m/s2 toward the earth's surface.
I imagine you never tried to explain that to "a guy at the range".... cause if you did ...you would realize .... that the conversation is worthless with out pictures .... so now there is the pictures.... Science is fun.

·
Premium Member
3,568 Posts
I imagine you never tried to explain that to "a guy at the range".... cause if you did ...you would realize .... that the conversation is worthless with out pictures .... so now there is the pictures.... Science is fun.
Agreed. I love all that stuff and always prefer to see for myself rather than believe what someone tell some or what's in some text book.

·
Banned
11,831 Posts
Gravity is gravity, but differing calibers and loads have different ranges. Taking this to the extreme….. if you dropped a 16" projectile from the USS Missouri's gun from the same height the gun muzzle (at zero elevation) I'd think you'd be waiting for that fired projectile to land long after the projectile hit the deck.

·
Clinger
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gravity is gravity, but differing calibers and loads have different ranges. Taking this to the extreme….. if you dropped a 16" projectile from the USS Missouri's gun from the same height the gun muzzle (at zero elevation) I'd think you'd be waiting for that fired projectile to land long after the projectile hit the deck.
LOL..... this is why I posted the video..... apparently ..we still have some flat Earthers among us...

·
Grand Poobah
21,090 Posts
the ago old question ... Which will hit the ground first ..a bullet fired from a gun or a bulled dropped from the same height?

Probably should be a poll before you view the video.

It's really not an age old question.
Hasn't been for a few hundred years.
Some guy named Fig Newton or something. Has a cookie fall on his head I believe.

I have another age old question.
What weighs more? A 100 pounds of rocks or a 100 pounds of feathers?

·
Banned
11,831 Posts
LOL..... this is why I posted the video..... apparently ..we still have some flat Earthers among us...
No need for the derisive comment. I hope you don't teach or coach for a living.

Getting back to my 16" gun example. Given identical projectiles….does the increased velocity (via a stronger propellent) make up, in time, for the increased range or are there some inconsistencies in all this? And what about a projectile fired at an ideal 45 degree inclination? A 16" projectile travels miles in the same time it takes for an identical one to drop from the muzzle?

·
Clinger
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I saw the video, and I grasp the concept. But we are not dealing with absolutes concerning these variables.
The free fall drop is a constant. The projectile is also a constant. But the horizontal vector is not. It varies with different loads of propellent. The more powerful the propellent the longer the projectile can resist gravity.
No need for the derisive comment.
Hold on you were serious ....In that case .... I will apologize right now... I'm was in now way trying to disparage your alternate theory of the effects of gravity on falling objects ... You contribute much to this site and I often agree and enjoy your posts on varying topics and certainly do not want to let Gravity be a reason for ill feelings.

·
Banned
11,831 Posts
Hold on you were serious ....In that case .... I will apologize right now... I'm was in now way trying to disparage your alternate theory of the effects of gravity on falling objects ... You contribute much to this site and I often agree and enjoy your posts on varying topics and certainly do not want to let Gravity be a reason for ill feelings.
So answer my question…..

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
8,061 Posts
The question is better posed as "two identically sized bullets, of equal air resistance, which hits the ground first, the one fired out of a level gun, or the one simultaneously dropped from the same height.

Sir Issac proved it way back when.
They hit same time, every time.

·
Banned
11,831 Posts
The question is better posed as "two identically sized bullets, of equal air resistance, which hits the ground first, the one fired out of a level gun, or the one simultaneously dropped from the same height.

Sir Issac proved it way back when.
They hit same time, every time.
My question was pretty much "Would a hotter load affect the results?" This could be taken to the absurd where the bullet was fired from an inordinately huge cartridge greatly increasing its range. Or would the increase in velocity equal things out?

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
8,061 Posts
My question was pretty much "Would a hotter load affect the results?" This could be taken to the absurd where the bullet was fired from an inordinately huge cartridge greatly increasing its range. Or would the increase in velocity equal things out?
Velocity has no bearing on resisting gravity. The bullets starts dropping the INSTANT it leaves the barrel and will fall parallel to the dropped round no matter how fast out of the gun.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.