Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Nimble Navigator
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey does anyone have any recommendations for someone to put down a shed gravel pad for me? I simply don't have the time or ability. Seems to be a job too small for most contractors.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
if it's accessible to a pickup truck you could have some neighborhood kids ( yeah , good luck ) dig the hole and then have the local gravel yard drop a load in the hole .

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Hey does anyone have any recommendations for someone to put down a shed gravel pad for me? I simply don't have the time or ability. Seems to be a job too small for most contractors.
I forget the yard out in Suffolk but when they clean making screened top soil they have a mountain of Gravel that's for free just have a truck and they load as much as you want. Packs down nice and makes a great base for a shed with a floor. Just did that the second time and put another Mann Products 10x10 shed on top works great.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I like what Blade 21 says, but make the pad 1 foot bigger than the shed in both dimensions. Then, put good landscape fabric down over the grass. It keeps the weeds out, and you can mow/weedwack against it without ever damaging the shed. Just my preference.
Oh yeah forgot about that. Get the good fabric and lots of pins too to hold it down. And like Beaker said...1 foot longer and wider on what shed you are getting.

Plus watch out for permits and how far you are from the property line.

·
Premium Member
3,568 Posts
I bought my shed from Picone/ 110 Sheds (Amish Built) - They recommended 3/4" blue stone for the base, no smaller. I made the base out of 4 x 4 (PT of course) and used stimson strong ties for the corners. My FIL at the time had me put 2 pieces of wire about 1/3 of the way in from each end and twist together like a turn buckle to support the sides from bowing out. You can also use rebar driven through the center of the 4 x 4. Just make sure you drive it down deep enough.

Yes on the 1' bigger in both directions. Once you have the 4 x 4 down, BE SURE TO LEVEL!!! Then you can add your rock and I rented a tamper. My shed is 12 x 8 and I made the base 14 x 10. I believe it was about 3-4 yards of rock...4" thick in most spots.

Been down a few years, no weeds no settling, etc. Even with weed block you can get weeds. The seeds fall into the top and grow from there, doesn't have to grow from the bottom.

For whatever reason, they didn't recommend RCA. I believe because RCA will not last as long as the crushed stone. RCA will eventually decompose into the soil.

Shouldn't take you too long - Figure a few hours if by yourself. Hardest part is humping the stone!!!

·
Premium Member
3,568 Posts
I agree, but I filled around the shed with bluestone once it was in place. Best of both worlds!
RCA will wash away in time though. Driveways and patios with an RCA base don't stay perfectly level forever. Just gotta keep an eye on it.

Not sure if it's always been like this either b/c I never paid attention years ago, but today's RCA seems to be more dirt than anything.

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
You may want to consider crushed recycled concrete. My shed guy requested that be used for a better base.
RCA (recycled concrete aggregate) is the way to go. If you don't have a compactor al you have to do is water it for 15 minutes let it dry and repeat and it will be compacted pretty good. Use heavy plastic under it to keep out moisture, weeds can't grow through 3 inches of RCA if it is compacted.

Reactions: Paté

·
Registered
70 Posts
You may want to consider crushed recycled concrete. My shed guy requested that be used for a better base.
There's a place in Westbury that sells this its crushed blacktop concrete and red brick that they use for base then you could fill in the extra foot around with the bluestone or whatever you want after the shed is up.... Just a thought

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.