Long Island Shooters Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Aim High
912 Posts
There are literally hundreds of low life scumbags walking around with no permits and illegal guns and they never get caught. EXCEPT when they pull out their gun in broad daylight and shoot some innocent person dead in the middle of the street and even then they get away. So the moral of the story is just don't do the above and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you're going to drop a couple of hundred bucks on training, you might just want to take the 18 hour concealed carry course. It will cover the NRA basic pistol matrial and more.
I'm going with Renaissance Firearms Instruction, and they split the 18hr training into two courses, the first is the NRA Basic Pistol Course (which is counted towards the 18hrs), then you can take their CCW course.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm going with Renaissance Firearms Instruction, and they split the 18hr training into two courses, the first is the NRA Basic Pistol Course (which is counted towards the 18hrs), then you can take their CCW course.
I think Renaissance's approach is a great idea. Credit for previous training is mentioned in the NYS mandates, but I haven't seen anyone else offering any credit for other existing courses or previous training. It is somewhat of a compromise, and gives one quite a bit of flexibility right? Take the NRA Basic Pistol class, which one might do anyway as part of their personal responsibility and quest for training. You get the NRA certificate, and I believe that NRA course can count (or is required) towards some other things as well, if you so choose to pursue them (i.e. some non-resident out -of-state permits).
Renaissance banks you credit for about half the training time required for the CCW course, and then they offer the "completer" course for NY CCW as a separate one day class, that you can schedule and take at a later date, if you so choose. Within the next 5 years. Not the absolute least expensive option, but not nearly the most expensive option either. Considering the ability to spread out the classes (and therefore the expense), I think that blunts the total cost, and it's worth it.
I took a course with Frank and Renaissance a couple of years ago, and it was a great experience. Seemed like a good guy, and a good company.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think Renaissance's approach is a great idea. Credit for previous training is mentioned in the NYS mandates, but I haven't seen anyone else offering any credit for other existing courses or previous training. It is somewhat of a compromise, and gives one quite a bit of flexibility right? Take the NRA Basic Pistol class, which one might do anyway as part of their personal responsibility and quest for training. You get the NRA certificate, and I believe that NRA course can count (or is required) towards some other things as well, if you so choose to pursue them (i.e. some non-resident out -of-state permits).
Renaissance banks you credit for about half the training time required for the CCW course, and then they offer the "completer" course for NY CCW as a separate one day class, that you can schedule and take at a later date, if you so choose. Within the next 5 years. Not the absolute least expensive option, but not nearly the most expensive option either. Considering the ability to spread out the classes (and therefore the expense), I think that blunts the total cost, and it's worth it.
I took a course with Frank and Renaissance a couple of years ago, and it was a great experience. Seemed like a good guy, and a good company.
Yes, I think it's a great way to do it. Everything is spread out a bit. I took both their NRA Rifle course when I first got into firearms (more than five years ago), and their reloading course. Always been a good experience. I actually used the NRA Rifle certificate for my CMP proof of participation in firearms activities.

I had planned on taking the pistol course once I got my sportsman permit regardless, just to make sure I don't get into bad shooting habits.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
r
Excellent. That is my plan as well. Try to get an NRA certificate for Basic Pistol as well as your "certificate of completion." This way if you always have it in the event you want it for applying for an out of state pistol license that may not recognize NY's "cerificate of completion."

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Do you know if they only credit you for training taken with them?

My intention is to recognize that of any "duly authorized instructor."

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think the instructors rushed this even more than the customers did.
I just mentioned breaking the course to NRA Basic + NYS CCIA, to the store manager , at my LGS. He Pooh poohed it. Saying he already had this conversation with instructor, and other research… blah blah blah ….

I like the guys there, I do… but this seems more of a situation of a manger saying, why should I bother going that extra step…

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ironically, with all the discussion today….

I just received my call, to appear at SCPD PLB, with my old license, for Carry amendment. Mon 28th

for anyone else watching the calendar, my NYSCCIA class cert, went to SCPD ON Oct 12,
And as of my last conversation with investigator, they are doing approximately 40 per week.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Ironically, with all the discussion today….

I just received my call, to appear at SCPD PLB, with my old license, for Carry amendment. Mon 28th

for anyone else watching the calendar, my NYSCCIA class cert, went to SCPD ON Oct 12,
And as of my last conversation with investigator, they are doing approximately 40 per week.
SCPD told me they are processing 60 a week equating to a month before a call. But you have to factor in the volume growth, I was also told the course will not have to be updated upon the 3-year renewal. lastly, the interview would be a run down of legal places you can carry and a list of your social media without passwords. Is LLF considered social media?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Hey Sig45, Congrats, did you get your upgrade on the spot of the interview or was there an open investigation of your application? If the latter, what was the window of time between the phone call, interview, and the license given?
yes its more of just a fill out a small paper than an interview. i handed in my certificate on sep 23rd and got called on the 11th soo for me it was about a month and a half

·
Registered
380 Posts
yes its more of just a fill out a small paper than an interview. i handed in my certificate on sep 23rd and got called on the 11th soo for me it was about a month and a half
But you got your card on the same day as the face-to-face interview, or was it mailed out sometime after the interview and application? Sorry, I am not understanding what your saying yes to.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
are we back to not being able to carry everywhere again?

21 - 40 of 49 Posts