Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone, Just got my license and want to start looking for my first gun. Since i'm new to long island I would appreciate some suggestions on places that have a good selection. I'm centrally located so I can get to most places easily.

Thanks for your help

·
The Artist formally known as AR_Guy
6,913 Posts
For a good selection. Check out Coliseum in Uniondale, they have pretty much everything in stock.

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
where do you live ?     That'll help us recommend someone close to you

·
Assault is a behavior; Not a weapon.
12,115 Posts
+1 on South Shore Sportsman. Mike & Co. offer a large selection, great prices and a real knowlegable staff.

Why not post what you're looking to do with your new gun, and maybe we can simplify things a bit for you.

As for me, I always recommend that any and all new license holders begin with a .22 Rimfire of some sort. It makes it easier to learn breathing, target aquisition, and trigger control. Once the fundamentals are set, then you can expand your choices.

For a .22, I usually recommend the Ruger Mk II or Mk III, the Browning Buckmark, Sig Mosquito, Walther P22, and, if you think you're a single action 1911 afficianado, the GSG 1911-.22.

But, don't feel bad if you don't take my advice. Most rarely do.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I live in Centereach. I'm thinking of a revolver as my first gun maybe something like a Taurus 65. I also would like to get a 22 as my second gun. I know that might seem backwards but I want to start simple and a revolver is a good place to start.

·
Registered
642 Posts
i am another for campsite .. I was there the other day and they guy behind the counter spent a hour or so with me and my buddy showing us all the AR he had in stock . I'll be there real soon buying my second AR

·
Banned
1,468 Posts
TonyD said:
I live in Centereach. I'm thinking of a revolver as my first gun maybe something like a Taurus 65. I also would like to get a 22 as my second gun. I know that might seem backwards but I want to start simple and a revolver is a good place to start.
Ruger GP100 or Smith&Wesson 686 are very strong solid guns. I prefer the 6 inch so I can use it for hunting.You can shoot inexpensive .38 special ammo.

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
Suffolk Sportsman in Smithtown is close to you

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
TonyD said:
I'm also in Centereach. Have both pistols and 3 revolvers. The revolvers are All S&W - the 386,629 and the 686. My first revolver is the 386 night guard. Really a nice firearm.

·
Banned
2,404 Posts
Hi!

I visited Coliseum Traders today.
I do not recommend this store.
IMO, the sales staff were not particularly knowledgeable or friendly.
One of the salesmen told me that this store does not sell Kel-Tecs.
As I was handling a shotgun, a short, bald, tiny-minded weasel-with-a-mustache salesperson behind the cash register shouted at me "Don't point that at me." I then browsed their selection for a few minutes and left, swearing to myself that I would never return to that store again.
I have zero tolerance for unfriendly gun stores.
A gun purchase is expensive, and I expect to treated with respect.

Sydney

·
Banned
459 Posts
SydneyH said:
Hi!

I visited Coliseum Traders today.
I do not recommend this store.
IMO, the sales staff were not particularly knowledgeable or friendly.
One of the salesmen told me that this store does not sell Kel-Tecs.
As I was handling a shotgun, a short, bald, tiny-minded weasel-with-a-mustache salesperson behind the cash register shouted at me "Don't point that at me." I then browsed their selection for a few minutes and left, swearing to myself that I would never return to that store again.
I have zero tolerance for unfriendly gun stores.
A gun purchase is expensive, and I expect to treated with respect.

Sydney
Well Sydney,. I was not there.
Most of the time they are very crowded and it is difficult to get help. That would be my complaint. They do have a very large inventory. And they are expensive on ammo.
The guy you described is a nice guy.
And IF you pointed a shotgun in his direction (I was not there, so I am saying IF) you deserved to get yelled at.

ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED. NEVER FORGET THAT.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.