Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Sharp Shooter!
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a tactical knob install on rem 700.
I also would like to have the barrel shortened and a brake installed. I would like someone on the island if possible, that does the work in house. I have stopped by two gun shops to be told it would have to be sent out.

Jonathan

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
call George A.,516 825 4150
located in Baldwin off Rt 27, basement and garage set up as full machine and wood shops
has done ar national. match, palma and hunting rifles for us
have lots of time to talk when you meet George
http://kustombygeorge.com/index.htm

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Been also looking for someone to install a comp on an AR rifle. Surprised I never heard of him as I live right there, but will definitely give a call.

·
Premium Member
5,947 Posts
I haven;t had any experience with the guy in Baldwin but I have used Bob at Country Gunsmiths many times. Bob is an excellent gunsmith and reasonably priced also.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Shorten the barrel and recrown is a 15 min job even for a technically illiterate guy like myself. Threading muzzle on something like AR or AK is just as easy, but Rem700 will require a lathe to bring muzzle to correct diameter before threading

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
My AR has a heavy barrel, so I know it requires some lathing first. Then of course there is the required pinning and welding of the comp on place.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Pinning is only a matter of drilling blind hole and inserting a pin. Welding can be easily done with small brazing kit that can be found at any hardware store. We don't have lathe at home so my dad had to take the barrel to our car mechanic.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
VolkoSupply said:
call George A.,516 825 4150
located in Baldwin off Rt 27, basement and garage set up as full machine and wood shops
has done ar national. match, palma and hunting rifles for us
have lots of time to talk when you meet George
http://kustombygeorge.com/index.htm
Attempted to speak to the gentleman, and was quite shocked by his reaction. I called and asked if he does any gunsmithing besides stocks. I told him I wanted a barrel threaded and a compensator installed on a rifle. I didn't even mention what type of rifle, when he started yelling how doing that is illegal, and I "should lose his number immediately"! Then he Hung up the phone. This does not sound like a sane person to me.
I've also contacted Country gunsmith in the past. He is not the most pleasant person to deal with either. He seems to get annoyed very quickly if you ask him more than 1 or 2 questions.

·
Banned
1,494 Posts
Postal Bob said:
Attempted to speak to the gentleman, and was quite shocked by his reaction. I called and asked if he does any gunsmithing besides stocks. I told him I wanted a barrel threaded and a compensator installed on a rifle. I didn't even mention what type of rifle, when he started yelling how doing that is illegal, and I "should lose his number immediately"! Then he Hung up the phone. This does not sound like a sane person to me.
I've also contacted Country gunsmith in the past. He is not the most pleasant person to deal with either. He seems to get annoyed very quickly if you ask him more than 1 or 2 questions.
everybody sing, "I LOVE NEW YORK"

·
Sharp Shooter!
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I left my bolt with bob wensday night, he called me Thursday while I was eating my lunch telling me I was all set and ready to pick it up, came out great and will be using him again

·
Registered
692 Posts
Well, I feel stupid. I called Bob today, to have some minor work done on my Glocks. He doesn't work on pistols. What a shame, cause he's a stone throw away from my job.

Any other gunsmith in the area that is reasonable and good. He told me to go see Brian at Guns & Ammo, but no way.. Been down that road before!

Help me out guys! ;)

·
Banned
19,574 Posts
GeorgeRibbon said:
Shorten the barrel and recrown is a 15 min job even for a technically illiterate guy like myself. Threading muzzle on something like AR or AK is just as easy, but Rem700 will require a lathe to bring muzzle to correct diameter before threading
You need a lathe to do the threading too- single point thread to a blind shoulder.
FYI Brazing is not welding, does not count- brazing is soldering. A technicality, but one that would let you remove the braze by heating trhe barrel ablove the temperature of brass' melting point. I would let you go on that one, but I suspect the Nassau DA would not.

There is also the annoying factor that rifle barrels tend to have this darned taper- makes it hard to set them up since if you use a live center you can't crown anything. So you have to set up on a follow rest, which can't be really where you want it because the front sight is invariably in the way.

Easy to bodge, a lot harder to do right. That's the difference IMO between a good gunsmith and the guy who took the $499 1 week gunsmithing course, or who simply doesn't care.

It's 15 minutes to cut off the end with a parting tool, run a HSS cutter inside-to-out on a seven degree compound setting, but to really true center can take a good half hour of setup time, rifling wreaks havoc with a DTI, you must lift the ball over every rifling groove. Major PITA.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Captain Will said:
You need a lathe to do the threading too- single point thread to a blind shoulder.
FYI Brazing is not welding, does not count- brazing is soldering. A technicality, but one that would let you remove the braze by heating trhe barrel ablove the temperature of brass' melting point. I would let you go on that one, but I suspect the Nassau DA would not.

There is also the annoying factor that rifle barrels tend to have this darned taper- makes it hard to set them up since if you use a live center you can't crown anything. So you have to set up on a follow rest, which can't be really where you want it because the front sight is invariably in the way.

Easy to bodge, a lot harder to do right. That's the difference IMO between a good gunsmith and the guy who took the $499 1 week gunsmithing course, or who simply doesn't care.

It's 15 minutes to cut off the end with a parting tool, run a HSS cutter inside-to-out on a seven degree compound setting, but to really true center can take a good half hour of setup time, rifling wreaks havoc with a DTI, you must lift the ball over every rifling groove. Major PITA.
Will, you made good point, but I will get behind the kid.
Brazing is not soldering and not welding. Its in between. the silver solder is required to be above 1200 degree and melting point of bronze is around 1600; that covers the bases.
Crowning is as simple as the kid said. You have the crowning tool - its 10 mins of work, Ask M1lk for verification, he did it in my garage in just that time frame. Lathe is not required unless you want to make some fancy twists.
There are many ways to thraed the barrel, one of them is lathe, other is pilot, then there is setup threads and compression. I could be off with my translation, but they should sound something like that.

Your last point is what makes the $3000 rifle different from $500, a custom build vs mass production. You entered the premium territory and here all bets are off. Yet even mass produced barrels can be made to a very high standard like rem700 etc

If you are so anxious about the barrel and crown then why dont you start working on barrel balance? Add couple weights to the muzzle, remove some. I am 110% sure by doing that you can improve accuracy of any custom $3000 rem700.

And for the record, I never took any gunsmithing classes but internal and external ballistics were part of my academic program along with many other very interesting classes

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.