Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good , general purpose binoculars ? Something light , compact, sturdy , don't break the bank.

Any recommendations ?

·
Walker1847
12,106 Posts

·
You Are the Resistance.
3,600 Posts
Whatever you do, Never look through a pair of Fujinons or Steiners.

you'll break the bank for them.

·
Assault is a behavior; Not a weapon.
12,115 Posts
Good is subjective. And banks come in different sizes.

When I went to Colorado on an Elk hunt, I compared Zeiss and Leica binoculars. I decided to go cheap and save $300.00 by buying the Zeiss glass for $1200.00.

One afternoon, we met up on a mountain top. (NO!! Not Brokeback Mountain). Anyway, I picked up his Leica's and realized I had made a $1200.00 mistake. His Leica's were that much better.

For hunting in New York, I don't need as high a magnification, so I have 2 pair of lesser quality binoculars ... The Cabelas Pine Ridge and a compact pair of Leopolds.

If you're looking strictly for range glass, I'd opt for a spotting scope, and almost any inexpensice scope should be fine.

·
Banned
8,963 Posts
Ramone said:
Whatever you do, Never look through a pair of Fujinons or Steiners.

you'll break the bank for them.
Ebay. You can get Steiner Commanders for $300, old models. That is what I use for deer hunting. If you hunt antler restriction areas, they are pretty useful.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
" If you're looking strictly for range glass, I'd opt for a spotting scope, and almost any inexpensice scope should be fine "

I have a range scope , just looking for some easy to carry, good quality binocs.

Thanks for the input.

·
I'm begging to be banned!
1,135 Posts
Cabelas euro will give you a great value.

·
Winter is coming
3,569 Posts
For local or upstate use Nikon has some good options that perform real well and aren't too expensive.

·
Registered
272 Posts
warmnfuzzyar said:
Good , general purpose binoculars ? Something light , compact, sturdy , don't break the bank.

Any recommendations ?
It's difficult to answer general purpose, why don't you add a little more for a requirement along with a monitory figure.

·
Anti-Statist
5,359 Posts
I picked up a pair, decent size too, at the christmas tree store in deer park. Good enough to use to spot at most the ranges i frequent, and they were like $6.

·
The Sysop
36,800 Posts
I love my stabilizer Canon.

Once I let someone use them, I have to pry them out of their hands!

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts