Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using graphite irons? Im looking to upgrade from my starter set and since I only play casually with friends, and a few charity gold outings a season I don't want to spend a ton of money.

I'm looking at the Aeroburner by Taylor Made, seem to be a nice price point for me. I am torn between Steel and Graphite. It's only a 10$ difference per club since Im only buying irons I have already upgraded my driver, hybrids, and wedges.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'd ask to try a couple of both irons in the net and see which feels better to you. Steel shafts are a little heavier than graphite and usually you can swing a little harder with graphite shafts. I usually liked steel bc it was cheaper and for me I liked the feel better. Graphite on woods and steel on irons.

·
shots fired
2,305 Posts
Graphite being lighter and will allow you to swing faster, and thus getting better distance. However since its lighter its easier to get off plane on your swing and thus harder to hit correctly. Also graphite tends to feel more deadened on impact so you'll get less feedback.

The only reason i would say to go with graphite is if you are very good, rarely have a mishit, and can use the added distance.

Steel will give you a more constant swing, more feedback on mishits (so you'll know if you toed it or hit it in the hosel) and will make you a better golfer.

More important than steel vs graphite is getting the correct flex for your swing speed. Worry about that and you'll be golden.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The only reason i would say to go with graphite is if you are very good, rarely have a mishit, and can use the added distance

Name one pro golfer on any tour that uses graphite shaft?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Spend the money on some lessons. Go get fitted by a real clubfitter. No different than sporting clays. Bobby Jones played with persimmon and hickory clubs, right? It is all about technique.

·
I'm a Michigander now.
5,119 Posts
Graphite being lighter and will allow you to swing faster, and thus getting better distance. However since its lighter its easier to get off plane on your swing and thus harder to hit correctly. Also graphite tends to feel more deadened on impact so you'll get less feedback.

The only reason i would say to go with graphite is if you are very good, rarely have a mishit, and can use the added distance.

Steel will give you a more constant swing, more feedback on mishits (so you'll know if you toed it or hit it in the hosel) and will make you a better golfer.

More important than steel vs graphite is getting the correct flex for your swing speed. Worry about that and you'll be golden.
The only part of this that is incorrect is the part about the faster swing resulting from a lighter shafts.

The graphite shafts flex enabling greater club head speed at impact with less muscle effort. Effectively reducing the need the try to kill the ball, payoffs are seen with proper form.

That being said, I am no expert, but I have a graphite shaft driver and it helped me gain control as well as drive over 300 yards.

·
shots fired
2,305 Posts
The only part of this that is incorrect is the part about the faster swing resulting from a lighter shafts.

The graphite shafts flex enabling greater club head speed at impact with less muscle effort. Effectively reducing the need the try to kill the ball, payoffs are seen with proper form.

That being said, I am no expert, but I have a graphite shaft driver and it helped me gain control as well as drive over 300 yards.
graphite and steel shafts both "flex". You can have a steel shaft with more flex than a graphite (senior vs x stiff). Think about it as a slow pitch softball bat vs a fast pitch, much easier to swing the fast pitch (lighter) bat faster through the box than the heavier slow pitch bat.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.