Long Island Shooters Forum banner

Going on 8 months now for permit

5K views 43 replies 24 participants last post by  d73805 
#1 ·
Guess they are really back logged or trying to see how long the can draw out the process to discourage other people from getting one. They received paper work first week of November, had my interview end of February with everything filled out. None of my friends have been contacted yet, I know my background check is clean as I have worked for a Financial firm as well as a school district in the past 5 years. Not sure how it can take them this long for a sportsman permit. Anyone else waiting this long now? Everyone i talk to at work got it in 4 - 5 months. Friend in Nassau got his this year in about 3 months around the holidays.

#5 ·
Which County?

#9 ·
Its healthy that they are taking a long time in some respect. More licenses !!

Reactions: 2edgesword
#10 ·
I dont care if they got 10,000 applications. For most of the people applying, plug the name in the computer, see a squeeky clean record, and stamp that bugger approved. So much of this stuff is automated these days. How many officers are in the unit? They could go through that many in a few days, screening out the applications that may require additional scrutiny. It's all a scheme, I dont care what anyone says. If they wanted to make the process efficient and painless, they could.

#12 ·
And since you're new here, I'll mention that NY State LAW says your application MUST be approved or denied "within six months or presentation of application" (and it's noted in the law that short-staffing or lack of response from FBI etc. are not excuses)

#14 ·
Call to follow up.

Some rough math: 12 investigators, 2 hours total (spread across initial review, interview, processing and issuance), lets call it about 40 a day can be processed. Now introduce all of the amendments, renewals, etc. Number drops to about 25-30 a day, 125-150 a week. The week after San Bernadino they received over 1200 applications. For many additional weeks they were over 200-250 a week and another big rush going on now. Not that I am making excuses, but this is the current reality. They need more staff at a time when the County is in financial trouble and is cutting funding in many areas. No simple solution for this one. I assume no one wants to see the fees increased like Nassau and the City did.

#15 ·
I'd be very surpised if the processed number was that high.... And again - NYS law specifically states short-staffing is not an excuse.

#29 ·
I'm not saying I agree with the delay in processing, but if too many people were to start quoting the 6 month time frames they could start denying applications based upon having to meet the 6 month time frame. I personally would rather have them take a little longer and get my license approved, then denied. I've have my license for many years and it only took 4 months to issue mine in Suffolk back then.

#38 ·
About F ing time!

Reactions: Parashooter
#41 ·
They can't legally deny you a civil right to a pistol for exercising another civil right (calling, complaining or suing under Article 78). They just can't. People need to stop being so freaking passive.

Reactions: Parashooter
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.