Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for you guys mostly the LEO's on the forum.. I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee and want to do the doorless mod on it like the Wranglers. My question is, can I legally do this??? The only thing I could find is that it must have side mirrors. Any info on this matter would be great. I know ive seen other people on the road doing this, I just don't know the the in's and outs...
Thanks,
Jake

Photo example(not my truck but you get the idea)

·
The Artist formally known as AR_Guy
6,913 Posts
I have spoken to people who did this. Mirror on the driver side is needed. It really comes down to the officer. Some have done it for years without issue then get pulled over for it.

My nephew got pulled over and received a ticket for a missing back bumper on his Cherokee. His doors were on, but the missing bumper attracted attention. He was written up for a wind shield crack also.

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
Jake, on that truck of yours the doors are probably the only things holding it together.... :p

How about if you rig a bar that goes from the top hinge to the lock that is at least some semblance of a something between you and the open road?

·
Bangkok rules. Now who has a can?
11,589 Posts
Why would you want to take the doors off?

·
Banned
6,423 Posts
If you want to go doorless, then why don't you just get a CJ (wranglers are for chicks)?

·
Registered
501 Posts
as far as i know, as long as u have mirrors you are good. i went to robert moses doorless today and passed at least 3 cops, includign one following behind me for a little, with no issue.

but, and this is just my opinion, it looks kinda dumb having the doors off on an otherwise complete truck. its nice on wranglers because you can have the top off also for a complete open air experience.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Only issue I've heard of in NY is the mirrors. Need them on both sides if they originally came that way.
I've never been hassled in my 4 door(less)wrangler.
I've also heard of people being hassled for tires sticking out of the wheel wells.
So it all depends on the LEO and why you were pulled over.

·
The Artist formally known as AR_Guy
6,913 Posts
Mad Russian said:
Jake, on that truck of yours the doors are probably the only things holding it together.... :p

How about if you rig a bar that goes from the top hinge to the lock that is at least some semblance of a something between you and the open road?
He brings up an interesting point. I wonder what the long term affects on the unibody might be. Those bodies do flex with the doors on.

On a personal note, I never got the whole doorless thing. I drive my Wrangler pretty much year round without a top. But I like the half doors so I have a place to rest my arm.

·
moved to greener pastures
10,857 Posts
I might be missing the point of doing such a thing, but if you do something that is certain to attract attention, you should not be surprised when attention comes your way.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I'm on the beach all the time, between wranglers and Cherokees almost nobody ever has side mirrors with the doors off, I added relocation brackets for convenience. However CJs and wranglers are made to have the doors removed, Cherokees the doors are part of the structure and what keeps everything together so just be careful. I also have super short fenders and my tires stick way out now, only comments I've ever gotten from LEO is "that's awesome". Rememeber it's a jeep, it's not like your driving a fart can civic around with no cat or license plate.

·
Banned
6,303 Posts
Mad Russian said:

No joke,doors are part of the vehicle structure on unibody vehicles.
Besides,it looks like an abandoned vehicle on the Belt parkway. :)

·
Now an Ex NYer
25,015 Posts
Tonto said:
Why would you want to take the doors off?
Took the doors off on a lot of field trucks both upstate and other places, made getting in and out to open gates etc. a lot easier. Drove a CJ-3 that had no doors or top and a CJ-5 with doors (winter and rainy season) and door/roofless most other times. Some folks like it, I don't care one way or another

·
Registered
495 Posts
Other than the structure issue on Cherokees,  "it's a jeep thing". I'm sure alot of you aren't into offroading, going doorless is as common as people putting a rail system on an AR in the offroad community.

·
Registered
501 Posts
i dont see how a door is part of the structure on any vehicle. its only attached at 3 flexible points, other than that its just pressed against a soft rubber gasket. no way its preventing body flex. in the event of an accident or rollover, of course doors add more to the structure (when being crushed). but just in general in terms of body rigidity, the door isnt going to make much difference.

·
Now an Ex NYer
25,015 Posts
opey said:
i dont see how a door is part of the structure on any vehicle. its only attached at 3 flexible points, other than that its just pressed against a soft rubber gasket. no way its preventing body flex. in the event of an accident or rollover, of course doors add more to the structure (when being crushed). but just in general in terms of body rigidity, the door isnt going to make much difference.
On many newer vehicles it actually is a part of the structural integrity of the vehicle's body. 2 hinges and a strong anchor point reduce body flex, some vehicles have other anchors ( non-latching) in different spots on the door.

·
Banned
6,303 Posts
opey said:
Try this with most unibody vehicles,open drivers door,jack either front corner up from under control arm/axel until the
wheel is off the ground.Now shut the door.On most vehicles it can flex up to an inch.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Going doorless in an XJ is probably not a good idea if you plan on keeping the truck for a while
Unibody's flex a lot, as others have said.
Flex without doors on and you might not be able to get the doors back on and closed.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I wont have them off all the time.. Id cut the hinges so it can accept pins, so they can go on and off anytime. I read a prob a hundred forum post about doing it and people that have done it with no ill effects. I just wanted to know about the legality issue for around here.

·
Registered
495 Posts
jake11751 said:
I wont have them off all the time.. Id cut the hinges so it can accept pins, so they can go on and off anytime. I read a prob a hundred forum post about doing it and people that have done it with no ill effects. I just wanted to know about the legality issue for around here.
As I said you'll have no issues, at least on the island. But if you want to be 100% safe just fab some small brackets(cylinders) and buy a cheap pair of round pep boys mirrors you can just stick in the mounts(or even hinges) when the doors are off.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.