Long Island Shooters Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
if you were a judge on these cases.....tell me how much money you guys would take to turn the cheek?
2 mill? 5 mil? 200 mil? 1 bil? the root of all evil... or at least 90% of it. Humans have flaws....do we not?
do we not all have our price?
I thought about this long before your post. The answer would be nothing, there is no price for those who died in wars defending our freedom. With Hochul, those heroes have died in vain. Anything you do with that $ would have a curse on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
FWIW: Although the conference date for the new “Antonyuk” case is set for sometime in December, based on the previous case there will soon be a motion filed for a prelim injunction which would be heard sooner. For example, the previous suit was filed on July 11 and the conference date was set for three months later, but then on July 20 GOA filed for a preliminary injunction which kicked off a number of hearings and paperwork submissions that occurred over the next month or so with the (unfortunate) ruling coming on August 31, way before the conference date of October. So hopefully we won’t actually be waiting until December for something to occur - hopefully a better outcome.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It's been more than a few years since I interned at the Federal courts on the island, but I recall the magistrates were the "lower" judges and used to free up other judges times. I could be remembering it wrong, but that may explain what it's not with Subbady right now. Perhaps it's a procedural movement that hasn't happened, kind of like judicial constipation.
Magistrates are not appointed by the president but by other district judges; they usually deal with lesser cases, warrants etc...

·
Registered
35 Posts
FWIW: Although the conference date for the new “Antonyuk” case is set for sometime in December, based on the previous case there will soon be a motion filed for a prelim injunction which would be heard sooner. For example, the previous suit was filed on July 11 and the conference date was set for three months later, but then on July 20 GOA filed for a preliminary injunction which kicked off a number of hearings and paperwork submissions that occurred over the next month or so with the (unfortunate) ruling coming on August 31, way before the conference date of October. So hopefully we won’t actually be waiting until December for something to occur - hopefully a better outcome.
If such a request is enjoined the state will stall all permits pending the case decision. The hearing will probably be postponed, held by a leftists judge, switched to a leftist judge after postponement or some other dishonest machination indicative of corruption. This is New York.

·
SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee
7,051 Posts
Do you guys remember the, 1993 Long Island Rail Road Shooting? Remember that nut job Colin Ferguson, I am wondering if GOA should reach out to those victims as possible plaintiffs as an example of the dangers imposed by sensitive zones.
Interesting idea but you may not remember that one of those victims was a prior NRA-affiliated attorney, whose wife was a real wacko. She became a politician, was elected several times and was vehemently anti-gun. Carolyn McCarthy was her name.
Gary

·
Registered
397 Posts
Interesting idea but you may not remember that one of those victims was a prior NRA-affiliated attorney, whose wife was a real wacko. She became a politician, was elected several times and was vehemently anti-gun. Carolyn McCarthy was her name.
Gary
I remember that one of the victims (I do not remember his name) that survived being shot by Ferguson was opposed to blaming the NRA. I wouldn't say he was pro-gun as much as he felt that the media were vilifying the wrong people. The media gave him some brief coverage and then dropped any mention of him.

I can understand her anger at what happened to her son and husband. But I was a little turned off that she appointed herself spokesperson for the group of survivors, and then parlayed it into a Congressional career.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Gary,
What's your take on this? Seems like Suddaby has the case and the time line for an injunction has been moved up

Order from the court:

TEXT ORDER denying 6 Plaintiffs' application for an Order to Show Cause as unsupported by the affidavit required by Local Rule 7.1(e) of the Local Rules of Practice for this Court, and reserving decision on 6 Plaintiffs' motion for a temporary restraining order and 6 their motion for preliminary injunction pending further briefing and oral argument. Defendants' response to Plaintiffs' motion for a temporary restraining order is due by the end of WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 28, 2022, and may come in the form of a letter-brief (or letter-briefs). Oral argument (without witness testimony) on Plaintiffs' motion for a temporary restraining order is scheduled for 11:00 a.m. on THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 29, 2022, before the undersigned in Syracuse, New York. Defendants' response to Plaintiffs' motion for a preliminary injunction is due by the end of THURSDAY, OCTOBER 13, 2022; and Plaintiffs' reply to Defendants' response is due by the end of THURSDAY, OCTOBER 20, 2022. An in-person hearing on Plaintiffs' motion for a preliminary injunction (at which testimony will be adduced) shall be scheduled in a future Text Order. SO ORDERED by U.S. District Judge Glenn T. Suddaby on 9/23/2022. (sal ) (Entered: 09/23/2022)

The court has scheduled oral arguments for the TRO on Thursday at 11am in Syracuse. Defendant's response is due Wednesday. Briefings and a hearing for the preliminary injunction will follow in October and possibly into November.

·
SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee
7,051 Posts
I read that as things are going to move VERY quickly and, given the fact that the case seems to be back in Judge Suddaby's hands, about which I'm happy, his prior opinion of the CCIA is going to stand. Expect the injunction, then a full circus-type trial, to be fought by NYS.
Gary

·
Super Moderator
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
This was posted on another site by a close friend of the attorney who is referred to as Nolo:

“TRO denied, Nolo expected that. Judge wants to give the defendants time to file briefs. Wife, who also practices in federal court, said the TRO was unlikely but has no bearing on whether
an injunction will be granted. While she thinks one was warranted, it is considered an extremely extraordinary form of relief that is rarely ever granted.”

·
Registered
12,287 Posts
This was posted on another site by a close friend of the attorney who is referred to as Nolo:

“TRO denied, Nolo expected that. Judge wants to give the defendants time to file briefs. Wife, who also practices in federal court, said the TRO was unlikely but has no bearing on whether
an injunction will be granted. While she thinks one was warranted, it is considered an extremely extraordinary form of relief that is rarely ever granted.”
This case is extremely important. I know people are saying his opinion is going to stand means nothing since the case was dismissed.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

Judge Subbaday already ruled on the TRO? I thought that was next week.

·
Super Moderator
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Judge Subbaday already ruled on the TRO? I thought that was next week.
The judge can issue a TRO "without notice." That is what was denied. In this case, he wants a briefing, so it will be "with notice" (including briefing, and oral argument)
Hearing on TRO is scheduled for 9/29 at 11AM in Syracuse.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
The judge can issue a TRO "without notice." That is what was denied. In this case, he wants a briefing, so it will be "with notice" (including briefing, and oral argument)
Hearing on TRO is scheduled for 9/29 at 11AM in Syracuse.
Okay. That makes more sense. Without live access to Pacer, I didn't know there were more than one TRO requests.

·
Super Moderator
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Okay. That makes more sense. Without live access to Pacer, I didn't know there were more than one TRO requests.
I don’t have access to Tracer, just picking up tidbits from another site that the attorney posts on. I guess he denied issuing it without notice, and instead wants a briefing first.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts