Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was putting a Glock slide together, I did not look too closely at the firing pin sleeve. It's a small peiece of plastic, and one end is VERY slightly beveled, and sometimes the other side has a bit of a tab from manufacturing, like this:
Water Wood Material property Tints and shades Liquid

If you ignore all of that (or like me, have crappy eyesight, and even with glasses on the bevel is hard to see) and just soldier on and insert it the wrong way (with the tab end first), then this is what happens to the sleeve:

Finger Material property Nail Thumb Close-up

Turns out firearms are pretty finicky about crap like this. No "extra parts" or "close enough" (well, at least not on Glocks. AK's maybe another story.) Anyway, with the sleeve like this, the firing pin hangs up on it a bit, and ends up soft striking the primer (and nothing goes bang like it should). When I had this problem, google came back with "soft recoil spring", "soft firing pin spring" and a few other things. This was NOT mentioned much. So now it's mentioned here. It's not like you can really get close to examine it. Removing it is a destructive process. On the plus side, the main way this goes wrong is by you inserting it wrong in the first place.

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
Which Glock is that?

I have never taken a Glock slide apart for normal cleaning. Was the firearm malfunctioning or were you just going the extra mile in cleaning it?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts