Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm not saying I'm considering one (yet) but I will admit I'm still confused. G19, G23,Gthis and Gthat. Gen 2,4,6.8.... What's it all mean?
Can someone dumb down the Glock story for me please?

·
Black Robe Regiment Immigration without assimilati
8,117 Posts
The basics:

If you get a G23 .40 cal,, for about $125 for a conversion barrel and $25 for a magazine you basically have a G19 9mm also. The reverse is not true. The same goes with the G22 .40 cal to a G17 9mm conversion.

The 4th gen has an advantage for lefties because you can switch the mag release to be released by your left thumb. Expect to pay about $50 more for a Gen4 vs Gen3. The Gen4 is the latest/greatest with few other minor improvements and the Gen3 has a proven track record.

Edited to add: Disregard those here who assume simple means stupid or low quality.

·
The Artist formally known as AR_Guy
6,913 Posts
What caliber do you want? What do you intend to do with it?

Example, a 19 is the same as a 23 or the 38. The 19 is 9mm, the 23 is 40, and the 38 is 45 GAP.

Gen 2 is out of production. Lacked finger groves and a rail. Gen 3 & 4 are still in production and the differences come down to personal preference. Really way too much to explain unless you tell us specifics of what you are looking for.

Reactions: Huntington Guy

·
8,117 Posts
Full size 9mm - 17
Compact 9mm - 19
Sub compact 9mm - 26

Full size 40 - 22
Compact 40 - 23
Sub compact 40 - 27

Full size 45 - 21
Compact 45 - 30
Sub compact 45 - 36
FIFY

·
Premium Member
9,506 Posts
Probably looking at .40 or .45. I have never been a real Glock fan, nothing against them but I have S&W, Ruger, Browning, Taurus...Glock never jumped out and said "own me". Obviously there is something being done right f so many folks prefer them so I'm looking at them now.
Would not be a carry gun. Safe to range and back...most likely. If I become a convert who knows. A big thing for me is grip and ergonomics, that's the main reason I like my M&P. I guess that leaves me with a full size Glock which would e fine.
Bottom line is there are so many versions and variants I'm just trying to understand them all well enough before I go shopping.

·
Banned
24,899 Posts
Buy a full size gun if you're not ccw ing. Buy a 34, 35 , or 41 if you want to run it in competitions. For the best ergonomics, go gen 4

My next one will likely be another G17 in a gen 4 FDE

If you're thinking of a conversion barrel hit me up before you buy anything.

Added: I have gen 3-17,19,27,22, 35, gen 4 35 and a 9mm conversion

·
8,117 Posts
Reactions: heartlessmcfly

·
Premium Member
9,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Could be a stop at Campsite in my Sunday plans.
Thanks everyone, this helped.
Jeff, I might see you in the morning.

·
8,117 Posts
You don't need anything explained... Just buy them
LOL, I wouldn't go that far.

To me, that sounds way too much like: If you want to know what's in the affordable care act you'll have to vote for it.

·
Right-wing Sith
6,502 Posts
Reactions: Huntington Guy
1 - 20 of 23 Posts