Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Patience
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't believe I'm writing this sentence but I'm trying to help the waitress at my local lunch spot.
Her father brought back a German Mauser 8mm Rifle from WW2 and all she knows is that it isn't sportified.
He wants to sell it and while I won't speculate why, it's clear his daughter (waitress) doesn't want it.
I have no desire to get in the middle of any transaction but if I can help a member here who wants to acquire one, that's what I'd like to see happen.
That being said, I don't know anything about these and moreover don't have any interest to do so.
She called some gunbroker site and they told her that not being sporterized makes it more valuable but that's about all she knows.

What I'm hoping for is that someone here can list a series of questions/specs that will help with the posting.
Don't know if it's possible but suggestions on value would be ideal because the alternative is to put it on gunbroker and then this group misses-out.

I recommended to her that any buyer meet at Campsite and have them do the FFL.

·
Supreme Pontificator
6,971 Posts
If it is a face to face sale, no need for an FFL.

The potential range in value is large. Anything from worthless to several thousand. However, it is likely to be closer to the low end of that scale than the high. If you could get some photos of any and all markings and some that represent the condition of the rifle it would be very useful in determining the general value.

·
The Artist formally known as AR_Guy
6,913 Posts
Date and factory of manufacturer? Are all the numbers matching including mag follower, bands, butt stock? These will help you get into a ball park price range as well as the overall condition.

Reactions: NRATC53

·
Just zis guy, you know?
2,454 Posts
Also, are all the German markings still in tact? If it was a bring back I'd assume so, but just checking since they're much more valuable than Yugo or Russian captures.

Of you can get some pictures we can help you ID it.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
German 8 MM 8x57 .323 bore Mauser to Germany are like are 30-06 rifle here in the U.S.
I will say a lot depends on the condition of the rifle also from WW2 the action would be a large 98 another thing to look for is were it was made and the marking or stamp crest on the receiver also a all matching number gun will bring a higher price.
I have sported a lot over the last 40+ years all seem to be tack drivers.

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,871 Posts
There's a 3 letter code that denotes manufacturer. That and whether it is all matching and general condition has a LOT to do with value. Feel free to PM me if you want, I have done valuations on a lot of these

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
If your friend lives out here near Riverhead or on the East End, I can help as well. I've had s bunch of Mausers and have a couple of resources.

As many have said, pictures would help a lot. If she doesn't want to post 'em, I can supply my email address and put them up for her.

·
Patience
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As suggested above, I got detailed pictures.
As you can see, the German insignia is clearly stamped here.
Can anyone determine if these marks give any insight on model (Mod 98) & price?
All numbers appear to match.
I apologize for the incorrect nomenclature.

Bolt # 6663
Receiver Rear? 6663
Receiver Side Mod 98
Part behind bolt? 6663
Top of receiver chamber? Eagile Insignia, ar, 43
Side of Receiver chamber? Eagle Insignia @ 6663
Base of Barrel behind rear sight? 16 on top, Eagle Insignia on the side, 0.0. on top
Underneath Rear Sight when lifted for long distance - 6663
Mag Plate beneath receiver 6663 same as plate above that one

·
Just zis guy, you know?
2,454 Posts
As suggested above, I got detailed pictures.
As you can see, the German insignia is clearly stamped here.
Can anyone determine if these marks give any insight on model (Mod 98) & price?
All numbers appear to match.
I apologize for the incorrect nomenclature.

Bolt # 6663
Receiver Rear? 6663
Receiver Side Mod 98
Part behind bolt? 6663
Top of receiver chamber? Eagile Insignia, ar, 43
Side of Receiver chamber? Eagle Insignia @ 6663
Base of Barrel behind rear sight? 16 on top, Eagle Insignia on the side, 0.0. on top
Underneath Rear Sight when lifted for long distance - 6663
Mag Plate beneath receiver 6663 same as plate above that one

I have no idea what it's worth, but I'm interested in it.

·
Just zis guy, you know?
2,454 Posts
Also, does she have copies of the bringback papers? As far as collector value goes, that's a big one.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
This looks like a 1943 manufactured rifle by the mauser factory in Berlin. It even has that little screw on the magazine plate that the russian like to remove. Its look to be a very nice rifle pre 44. Marty at T&T knows mausers he could add a dollar value I would think.

·
Just zis guy, you know?
2,454 Posts
yea what kind of price range are we talking? also interested
Price range is what we're trying to establish... As far as I can tell, bring back papers are going to be the deciding difference in price. The collector value of bring back rifles lies with the paperwork. Without that, there's no proving it wasn't a 50's or 60's import.

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,871 Posts
You have a 1943 issue Mauser made rifle in what seems to be good-vg condition, made in at the Mauser-Werke AG, Werk Borsigwalde, Berlin-Borsigwalde, Eichborndamm

Reactions: mongo

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,871 Posts
and yes, I'd be interested

·
Supreme Pontificator
6,971 Posts
GB isnt always the best way to judge value. Ive seen mausers go on GB for $300 and others for $900 in the same condition
I keep a pretty close eye on gunbroker and mausers specifically. In recent years I haven't seen a bring back in this condition go for less than 600. But the variation in values is why I said I would start it at 800.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts