Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother is up visiting my father by Plattsburg. He has his suffolk pistol license , got a purchase doc. from suffolk county P.D. He went to the Gander Mountain in Plattsburg to buy a pistol and he was told that is aganist store policy to sell him a pistol . Don't know if it was because he is a suffolk county resident or thet he was not form one of the upstate countys . He is legal in all of NYS ,but he can't buy a gun in this store . Don't know if it all the Gander Mountain stores policys or not ,but i won't be buying anything there again.

Billstick

·
Premium Member
5,947 Posts
billstick said:
My brother is up visiting my father by Plattsburg. He has his suffolk pistol license , got a purchase doc. from suffolk county P.D. He went to the Gander Mountain in Plattsburg to buy a pistol and he was told that is aganist store policy to sell him a pistol . Don't know if it was because he is a suffolk county resident or thet he was not form one of the upstate countys . He is legal in all of NYS ,but he can't buy a gun in this store . Don't know if it all the Gander Mountain stores policys or not ,but i won't be buying anything there again.

Billstick
The purchase document from Suffolk County PD is valid throughout the entire State of NY INCLUDING NYC.
(NYC requirment after buying from a city dealer it has to be transported directly out of the cuty in a locked box)
Did Gander Mountain give him a definite reason why because whatever thier reason is it is not based in law and the corporate offices should be made aware of this.

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
They may not be familiar with a blank purchase document...  I don't know how many of our other counties do this.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
I doubt this is Gander Mountain policy and more likely a misinterpretation of local laws.

I had issues with Gander Mountain back in 2004 but it wasn't really their fault. In 2004, Gander Mountain's Handgun of the Year was the then relatively new Springfield XD. Their price was only $379 which was also the price my brother would have to pay before shipping through a wholesaler with his FFL. I wanted one and was working near Columbus Ohio. I drove to their store on the West end and looked it over, held it, dry fired it and told the guy I would take it. He laughed and said that he would love to sell me one but he could not. Then he gave me "the story".

Apparently when the store was built and the FFL was filed, someone in corporate screwed up and used the store's loading dock address on the rear of the building instead of the store's mailing address which is the storefront. As such, the rear of the building was actually in Columbus City limits. Columbus had recently passed some ludicrous gun control laws. Under their draconian nonsense, you had to apply for a pistol permit for the city, after waiting 4 DAYS you could pick up your permit and buy your gun. You then had to fill out paperwork to register the handgun with the city. Hogwash! The salesman said that I would be better off to drive to the East end Gander Mountain store which was not in Columbus city limits and not subject to such crap. He also offered to call their gun counter guy and have everything waiting for me when I arrived--and it was. I don't believe in registration and was willing to spend an extra 1/2 hour in the car both ways to avoid it.

A year later we got state pre-emption through wiping out all those silly little gun control laws like Columbus had so I am sure that particular Gander Mountain was able to resume handgun sales. No one wants to get fingerprinted, pay a fee and then wait 4 days for some bureaucrat to grant his permission for you to buy a handgun.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I was up in the Kingston store last weekend, had no problem buying my rifle up there. I know all they were asking people for in order to look at/buy any handguns was a valid NYS pistol permit...

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Since i have nothing to do today i was thinking of taking a drive to the Middletown store just to see it....Is it worth it or is it just another store ?

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
Gander should have been able to FFL it to his FFL here on LI. The Purchase document would have been used at the time of pick up from the FFL.

·
Registered
429 Posts
RoadKing said:
Since i have nothing to do today i was thinking of taking a drive to the Middletown store just to see it....Is it worth it or is it just another store ?
I was up there last month and went to the store, they have the OCC Gander Mtn. bike there on display. It's a big store but thats a long trip from LI ,to me it wouldn't be worth the trip just to visit that store. I was on my way upstate to go hunting so I stopped in.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
So Cabelas is bigger than Gander Mtn ? Maybe ill take a ride to Ct to Cabelas

·
Registered
2,307 Posts

·
Assault is a behavior; Not a weapon.
12,115 Posts
RoadKing said:
Brad, take a Cabelas run. You'll be amazed at that store. Hamburg, Pa. is about 3 hours away, and the smaller East Hartford, Ct. store is about 2 1/2 hours.

If you're a hunter or a fisherman, Hamburg has a real nice Whitetail Deer museum, as well as a large aquarium that you could stroll through when you get tired of shopping. And you will get tired of shopping. The store is about a third to half the size of the entire Roosevelt Field Shopping Mall. But, not just guns. Think any and all clothing and gear for hunting, camping, fishing, hiking, cold weather, and just plain hanging out. Like my buddy says ... "It's not so much a store, as an experience".

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you plan on buying a rifle go to the Pa. store . The Ct. store won't sell a NYS resident a rifle without a couple of days wait. Don't know why but they won't . Bought a shotgun from the Pa. store with no ploblem.

Billstick

·
Assault is a behavior; Not a weapon.
12,115 Posts
billstick said:
If you plan on buying a rifle go to the Pa. store . The Ct. store won't sell a NYS resident a rifle without a couple of days wait. Don't know why but they won't . Bought a shotgun from the Pa. store with no ploblem.

Billstick
Ct. laws. If you don't have a Ct. pistol or hunting license, you gotta wait either 3 or 7 days. I brought an old shotgun from Griffin and Howe in Greenwich. I had to get a non resident 3 day hunting license to bring the gun home that day.

The Pa. store won't sell any firearms to a NYC resident either.

·
Registered
374 Posts
ligun said:
The Cabelas in PA is much bigger (and I think has more of a selection) than the Cabelas in Hartford.

I think it takes the same amount of time to go to either. If it were up to me I would go to the one in PA.
The PA Cabelas is definitely a better store than Hartford.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.