Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
19,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I had this idea a while back....

I was thinking about how it would be cool to own a BIG gun, you know, like a .50 BMG or something- but those are way outside of my budget and cost a fortune to shoot.

Then I began to think about building a gun that LOOKED like a "big gun", a sort of Terminator-meets-Michael-Bay gun that looks like some Hhollywood director's version of the ultimate sniper rifle- and could be built on the cheap.

Now, I know it's not going to be very accurate, or stop tanks, or be "the real thing", but I thought it might be fun to build it as a "Mall Ninja" sniper rifle. So, I named the still-undefined project "G-45" after the original Mall Ninja, Gecko45 of Glocktalk fame, and I set about defining my parameters.

MUST....
1) be at least 30cal.
2) make a big bang.
3) have a LONG barrel.
4) have a good action.
5) be cheap to feed.
6) be reasonably low cost to build

I needed a long barrel because I was upsizing rather than sporterizing, and a long barrel and cheap ammo dictated that I look at milsurp rifles.

I did some reading on safari guns and learned that a lot of them up to 600 Nitro Express are built on the Mauser long actions. I also knew that the mauser action is really tight when the bolt is locked and since my search was narrowed down to basically Mosin or Mauser, I decided Mauser was the way to go. 8mm brass ammo is really cheap too.

I scored one of these plus SIX HUNDRED FORTY rounds of ammo from a fellow LIFer. For about three hundred bucks.Yay!

I stripped down the gun and removed thwe existing blue, unfortunately the pics of that part and making the muzzle brake were all in my phone when it died. :(

Here is the muzzle brake, it is a Miculek-style brake patterned after one I saw on a .50 BMG. It is made out of some 1-1/2" stainless 316L marine propellor shaft that I bought, like eight feet of on ebay 'cause it was cheap and has been collecting dust in my garage for about two years.

Here is the brake from the front, showing the crown. I used a 7 degree target crown configuration since that seems to be all the rage these days...

Then I had to find or make a stock. I did not really want to invest the time to make one, and I wanted a synthetic stock. However, the only cheap, commercially available offering I could find was this thing:

I thought to myself that it could not possibly be as hideous looking as the drawing, until I found this pic on Calguns:

Well, OK- the beluga-whale front end of this thing definitely had to go. Also, the whole giant clamshell-over-the-bolt thing was an aesthetic disaster. No disrespect to the designer over at ATI, but, like, WTF were you thinking, Dude?

So, a couple of weeks ago I was trying to figure out how to get rid of the beluga-whale hump and tried adapting a quad rail but it looked kinda funky and the fit was just not right. It started to look like the best option might be to make a barrel shroud- and I grabbed a section of 1-1/2" copper DWV tube, and turned some aluminum end caps for it that fit the barrel. Then I cut the hollow top of the forend to shape, and sanded it with a sticky disc wrapped around the tube to free float the forend (the shroud will be part of the barrel).

So, even though I am (eventually) nickel plating the shtroud and painting the exterior black, the gun was getting a seriously "Home Depot" look from the copper. So, my project became officially named: G-45 WECSOG- taking its moniker from the FAL group's disparaging term "Wiley E Coyote School Of Gunsmithing"

It seemed really appropriate and fitting to the entire theme of the project. :)

I taped off, marked, and milled some slots into the bottom of the shroud with a 1/4" carbide ball mill...

...and some more in the top.

Then I discovered that the 7/8" stainless tube that I use for my boat fits over the thicker part of the barrel (barely). Mausers like mine don't have tapered ballels, there is a step about midway, and it's straight on both sides of the step. you can see in the pic that I've opened up the other side of the ATI stock "rail mount" as well.

Also, you'll see the official WECSOG gunsmithing tool (Dremel) in the photo...

Well, this is about where I am for now. I have to get some Duracoat to do the finishing and I'm waiting on a bipod to arrive. Also on the list is a trench mag- just because it will make it look more extremely baddonkey. (I actually wrote "Donkey" there!) Here are some shots to show the scale of this monster....

That's a midlength M4 carbine below it with the stock in nearly the full-extended position.....

Scope on the WECSOG is from a fellow LIFer too- I bought it because it was huge and cheap- perfect for this rifle!

And here, up against the wall- note the mods to the scope rail from the original ATI stock....

That's a regular full size gun safe. I can't afford a .50, but I will still make the noobs say "OHMYGODWHATTHEHECKISTHAT!!!!" when I show up at Calverton....LOL! :)

More pics to follow as project progresses.....

·
airbrushart
5,514 Posts
Nice  build, nice to see people with machining skills, now get out there and shoot it.

·
Premium Member
7,808 Posts
Pretty awesome, Will.  I admire your talent.  Tell people it's a $6000 Sniper System and they'll believe it!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Pretty cool. Two things to mention.
First, you picture taking skills are not on par with your metal working skills and honestly you suck on it :)
Second, The muzzle brake, it looks like it weights half of the gross weight of the rifle :)

Looking at your build I got jealous for all the tools and machinery you have at your disposal. Now I will be looking for a lathe and mill to fit in my garage

·
OathKeeper/NRA Life Member/Instructor/Appleseed Sh
1,690 Posts
BKLYN_C said:
First, you picture taking skills are not on par with your metal working skills and honestly you suck on it :)
Second, The muzzle brake, it looks like it weights half of the gross weight of the rifle :)

Looking at your build I got jealous for all the tools and machinery you have at your disposal. Now I will be looking for a lathe and mill to fit in my garage
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-1...-782A-E011-B31E-001B2163195C&mr:referralID=NA

CH

·
Banned
19,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BKLYN_C said:
Fair enough (and true!) , but I snapped them on my iPhone and was more interested in getting my project done than a glamour shoot so I'll just plead guilty to this one! I also suck at basketball and baseball, and I am not a very good bowler either!

That was kinda the idea, but it's mostly hollow inside since a lot of material gets removed with the "shark fins"- I think it weighs about or 5 oz, could be more though. This is NOT a lightweight gun! On the other hand, I'm not humping it through the desrt or jungle, and it weighs less than a Ma Deuce, so who gives a rat if the back of my car goes up 2" when I take it out of the trunk? :)
There is no need to get "jealous"- you can buy or make your own as I did- I bought a broken lathe for $600 and rebuilt it, added a DRO, bought an outdated CNC mill on eBay for $1K, and put a lot of sweat into rebuilding it, outfitting it with new controls, and making replacement parts for it with the lathe. I learned a LOT in the process but "easy and cheap" is not a phrase that springs to mind. However, if you or another guy on here needs access to a lathe or mill or bead blaster or welder or brazing rig or any of the other stuff I'm "lucky" enough to have on hand, I am generally always willing to help a person out getting their projects done. Before I had these tools I was fortunate enough to belong to a few other forums where I met people who could help me out by welding something for me or turning something for me- and I figure now it's my turn.

About the mill retrofit:

·
Banned
19,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On kid duty today so I got all the "white" parts reblued with Birchwood Casey Super Blue....

Natch, my photo skillz have not improved any...

·
Banned
19,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got a little time to do some more work on this beast yesterday...

Beaded the stainless tube in the glass beading cabinet to get a nice matte firearms-appropriate finish and make it lkook less like a boat part LOL!

So while I was doing that, sdeemed like a good time to bead finish the comp. Wierd thing is that the comp is made of 316L, which is what the tube is also made of, yet the comp throws a shower of sparks (barely visible in photo) when the glas beads hit it. The tube doesn't. I don't know why this is? AFAIK 316L does not allow for a lot of metallurgical differences.

Some views of the now finished brake/comp......

Inletting the magazine to the stock- I went just about nuts trying to find a correctly bad-donkey type mag to fit this gun (and of course had to be preban) since the gun is chambered in 8mm and .308/30-06 did not look to be suitable, and of course the stupid NY AWB law prevents me from making my own (which really sucks because I would havew loved to carve a nice billet aluminum custom mag or two for this rifle. In the end I went with WWII surplus 8mm mags that were originally for the German MG13 machine gun, and hold 25rd in double stack config.

Mag inletted to stock- I still have to do some very minimal relief work on the reciever to account for the thickness of the feed lips so that the round will sit high enough to be picked up properly by the bolt:

And mock-fit back together agin so I can get a sense of what it will look like. I painted the barrel shreoud and not really happy with the adhesion of the paint or the look- I am going to try to chemical etch it black instead (providing it owrks on a test part first).

·
Banned
19,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MR: I cheated, that's an ATI bent bolt kit. Cheap enough that's it's not really worth the effort to fabricate- it's stainless and the install is really simple (cut off old bolt, drill hole, tap, minimal filing, screw on new handle)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts