Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Ive been looking around for a fun ww2 era rifle that maybe could be used for hunting. I found a website that has all kinds of rifles and now my head is spinning :stars . Any suggestions from more experienced folk is highly welcomed. Oh, and so far I am leaning towards foreign rifles.

Ive been looking at this site:
http://oldguns.net/cat_fa_old_foreign_long.htm

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Try this    www.samcoglobal.net They have nice stuff also Reasonably priced

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
I wouldn't use a Mosin as a hunting rifle. The safety is effective but very cumbersome to use. There are better and more accurate rifles that can be used for hunting: Mausers, Springfields, Swiss K31, all of which have better safeties.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Keep in mind that many of these wwii rifles are kinda heavy, and many do not have what you would consider "sportsman style" safety mechanisms.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll find something you'll like. I love shooting my mosin, and I had as much fun restoring it as I have shooting it.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Captain Will said:
1)Mauser
2)Mauser
3)Mauser

You can even rechamber to Russian if you want to, but Mauser action is way better than M-N and 8mm surplus is slill pretty cheap (and brass cased).
The Captain left out the Mauser, which should be your first choice. After that you can try one on his list.

·
Banned
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for your input, much appreciated!

After reading Mad Russian's comment I did a bit more research and it seems that the safety on MN and my personality would clash quite often. That is a little bit upsetting because I like the looks of MN and they are very affordable.

Im curious as to why there is such a strong positive opinion about Mausers? How is it superior to the K31 Swiss?

Thank you everyone!

·
INFIDEL
7,263 Posts
Captain Will said:
1)Mauser
2)Mauser
3)Mauser

You can even rechamber to Russian if you want to, but Mauser action is way better than M-N and 8mm surplus is slill pretty cheap (and brass cased).
Yup, Buy one to shoot, buy one to play with, You can re barrel it and sporterize it. The strongest bolt action for the coin anywhere..

·
Husband, Father, Chef, Gun Guy
1,359 Posts
stevepelle91 said:
Can't go wrong with a k-31. I'd put it up against any modern rifle in terms of accuracy and craftsmanship.
Could not agree more. What great rifles...ammo is a bit up there, but wow, accurate as hell. I own a good majority of the WWII line up, I do also fancy the Lee Enfields of England. You can get a SMLE Ishapore post war Enfield for under $300 if you search a bit. Mausers are great and very affordable to feed especially if you go with corrosive ammo, which is not as big of a deal as it is made out to be, (most ammo during the war was corrosive) and you can buy bulk from Yugo 1950's stockpile.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
I've got most of the WWII and some WWI types, but if I were looking for a mil-surp to hunt with, and wasn't worried about its value as a "collectible," I'd look for a sporterized Mauser, based on the 98 action. Nice monte carlo stock, scope (depending on where you're going to hunt), and a decent round for deer. Make sure you get commercial ammo, FMJ surplus isn't generally allowed for hunting, you want something that mushrooms, not that goes through and through.

Failing to find a sporterized Mauser, go for a sporterized Lee Enflield. Its got a smooth action, is accurate and the ammo is affordable.

·
Banned
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had my sights set on Swiss K31. What are your thoughts?

Redcoat3340 said:
I've got most of the WWII and some WWI types, but if I were looking for a mil-surp to hunt with, and wasn't worried about its value as a "collectible," I'd look for a sporterized Mauser, based on the 98 action. Nice monte carlo stock, scope (depending on where you're going to hunt), and a decent round for deer. Make sure you get commercial ammo, FMJ surplus isn't generally allowed for hunting, you want something that mushrooms, not that goes through and through.

Failing to find a sporterized Mauser, go for a sporterized Lee Enflield. Its got a smooth action, is accurate and the ammo is affordable.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
PinkPoodle said:
I had my sights set on Swiss K31. What are your thoughts?
I have never seen a Swiss that was not in like new condition. And now that PRVI makes affordable ammo for it, no need to buy up surplus in lots when it can be found.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.