Long Island Shooters Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

· SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee
7,260 Posts
Gary are you saying that New York will have to have reciprocity with the other States because of Bruen? I haven't read it in awhile, but didn't Kavanagh's comments mention that licenses are permissible? I am only asking because you mentioned Constitutional Carry.

Yes, reciprocity s now the law of the land. The Bruen decision brought in the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment, as part of the basis for the decision. Therefore, all states must now recognize all other state's licenses or Constitutional carry status. Also, because of that inclusion, the "not-valid-in-NYC" restriction is also void.

PM sent.
Gary

· Registered
12,359 Posts
Yes, reciprocity s now the law of the land. The Bruen decision brought in the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment, as part of the basis for the decision. Therefore, all states must now recognize all other state's licenses or Constitutional carry status. Also, because of that inclusion, the "not-valid-in-NYC" restriction is also void.

PM sent.
Gary
Gary, the part I was confused about from the County Clerk was requiring an amendment to remove the restrictions. His understanding of the law is anyone with an unrestricted pistol license can carry anywhere in New York now.
This is exactly the reason the Governor pushed through her sensitive locations to prevent law abiding civilians to carry concealed anywhere in the state.

7,260 Posts
The County Clerk, with whom you spoke, is correct about one thing. Anyone, with an unrestricted license, can now carry, anywhere in this state or elsewhere. What he is incorrect about, is requiring that the licensee has to do anything, to accomplish that. The Bruen decision invalidated all restrictions, automatically making all carry licenses unrestricted. The only ones with restrictions are premises licenses.
Gary

· Registered
467 Posts
The County Clerk, with whom you spoke, is correct about one thing. Anyone, with an unrestricted license, can now carry, anywhere in this state or elsewhere. What he is incorrect about, is requiring that the licensee has to do anything, to accomplish that. The Bruen decision invalidated all restrictions, automatically making all carry licenses unrestricted. The only ones with restrictions are premises licenses.
Gary
Was there ever a serious legal action again having to have a license simply to possess a pistol in New York? The media and our courts so narrowly defined the Heller decision to make it seem that the Second Amendment only applied "in the home".... If that was the case, it would seem that a Premise license was unconstitutional.

7,260 Posts
Was there ever a serious legal action again having to have a license simply to possess a pistol in New York? The media and our courts so narrowly defined the Heller decision to make it seem that the Second Amendment only applied "in the home".... If that was the case, it would seem that a Premise license was unconstitutional.
The only "serious" NY court case, which even approached that subject, was O'Brien v Kegan (87 NY2d 436, 663 N.E.2d 316, 639 NYS.2d 1004) , in 1996. That was decided by a Left-leaning NY judge, who ruled that NY's licensing agents could establish whatever criteria they wanted, for issuing, restricting, suspending or revoking a handgun license. The Bruen decision voided that case law. Heller 1 and Heller 2, plus McDonald, laid the foundation, for the Bruen decision.

Many states (about half the states, so far) have agreed that there is no need for a license. The premises license exists only in those states which still require licenses and it's going to happen, in the next year or so, that SCOTUS will hold the need for any license to be unConstitutional.
Gary

· Registered
12,359 Posts
The only "serious" NY court case, which even approached that subject, was O'Brien v Kegan (87 NY2d 436, 663 N.E.2d 316, 639 NYS.2d 1004) , in 1996. That was decided by a Left-leaning NY judge, who ruled that NY's licensing agents could establish whatever criteria they wanted, for issuing, restricting, suspending or revoking a handgun license. The Bruen decision voided that case law. Heller 1 and Heller 2, plus McDonald, laid the foundation, for the Bruen decision.

Many states (about half the states, so far) have agreed that there is no need for a license. The premises license exists only in those states which still require licenses and it's going to happen, in the next year or so, that SCOTUS will hold the need for any license to be unConstitutional.
Gary
Gary, With other law challenges happening in other states. Piece by piece, we are going to see a major victory coming from SCOTUS in 2023. This will be our National Reciprocity.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I dropped my letter off at NCPD Pistol License Section today asking for my Target/Hunting License to be upgraded to Full carry.They said I would get something in September.

· Registered
244 Posts
I dropped my letter off at NCPD Pistol License Section today asking for my Target/Hunting License to be upgraded to Full carry.They said I would get something in September.
Once the judge issues an injunction on the CCIA next week, we won't see anything in September. Nassau and Suffolk will continue to stall. The only reason they are saying September is because the CCIA is supposed to take effect on Sept 1st. They will make our licenses "full carry", but we won't be able to carry anywhere because the CCIA makes almost the entire state of NY a sensitive place, aka gun free zone. If you caught carrying in a sensitive place, they made the penalty a Class E Felony.

· Registered
84 Posts

Is there a possibility, if they say no, that this would be considered a rejection that requires reporting? In 2022, the only reason they would require that it be dropped off is to inconvenience people. These kind of behaviors alone, are just plainly passive aggressive if not just abusive of their power.

· Registered
12,359 Posts
Is there a possibility, if they say no, that this would be considered a rejection that requires reporting? In 2022, the only reason they would require that it be dropped off is to inconvenience people. These kind of behaviors alone, are just plainly passive aggressive if not just abusive of their power.
Anything to inconvenience law abiding civilians. The Nassau County Executive needs to be held accountable. He did nothing for the gun owners so far. Keep the pressure on him. Call his office to let him know the Supreme Court has struck down the “Proper Cause” scheme.

7,260 Posts
No. They can't legally say "no" and they can't require that you pay them or do anything else, for them to bring your license into compliance with the Bruen decision.
Gary

· Registered
12,359 Posts
Throughout New York, people applied for a pistol license or amended their license for unrestricted to avoid the CCIA laws. Many people are relieved since the DCJS memo came out that the law only effects those who renew a pistol license for training portion of the CCIA.

7,260 Posts
Folks:
SCPD has scheduled a meeting, with all Suffolk County-based FFLs, for Thursday, September 15, at 4pm. The purpose of the meeting is for SCPD to explain, as they understand it, what's needed to be changed and what's needed to be added, to dealer's procedures, under the still-valid CCIA. Right now, they don't have everything worked out and are working on getting it to make as much sense as possible.
More will follow, as I get the details.
Gary

7,260 Posts
I’ve been doing some “detective” work, behind the scenes and with “unofficial” sources. From what I’m hearing, the SCPD, the NCPD and the SC Sheriff’s Department are getting contradictory instructions, about what to say and do, almost daily, about the way the CCIA is going to operate, provided it isn’t stopped, dead, in its tracks, by an injunction.

Right now, much of the working staff (who, for the most part, are pro-2A) are saying that they’re feeling like punching bags, with everyone screaming, from different directions. Many people are correctly seeking answers, to legitimate questions, for which the licensing agencies don’t have consistent answers and others are issuing orders, to the licensing agencies, then changing, a few hours later or the next day.

For the moment, I have only one suggestion: sit back and relax.

There’s nothing any of us can do, unless and until one of two things happen: 1) the court issues an injunction (via NYSRPA v Bruen #2), freezing the enforcement of the CCIA (which is very, very likely) or 2) the CCIA is allowed to continue, as the “law” of the state (very, very unlikely).

If 1), above, happens, then we’re back to an unfettered Bruen decision, as our operating standard, unless the governor/state legislature engage in another hissy fit session. If 2), above, happens, then the arrests will start and the law suits, for intentional violation of Constitutional rights, will start to fly.

I expect we’ll know at least a little more, after the 9/15 dealers’ meeting, at SCPD.
Gary

21 - 36 of 36 Posts