Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I was referring to the post that said the factory uses hydraulic presses to put them on. I never tried so I would recommend calling Smithy....

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Sight pushers are fine for girly guns like glocks. But I think S&W uses hydraulic presses to mount their sites...if that's the case, you're gonna need a sight pusher on steroids, like industrial strength to get it to budge, and a nice solid extension pipe that can slip over turn/crank bar for leverage. And even then, it might not be enough if the hardware isn't up to task.

Your best bet is to either send it to an experienced sight swap guy with a track record of S&W site changes or back to S&W for the swap. They put it on, they can take it off. Everything else is futile if it's hydraulic.

·
#1 Grade A Super Stud
1,284 Posts
I just drifted my front sight out with a punch. Last time I was up at sig they used a hydralic press too, I don't think for the force as much as it was a little easier to do.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just used a cheap sight pusher off eBay. Wrap the slide in a good amount of masking tape to protect it, put the slide in a stationary vise and used the pusher. I used a 3/8 drive ratchet with a deep 6 point socket. To initially move the site it took a scary amount of pressure but once it moved it slid out without issue. I think they may have a bit of some sort of glue/lock tight under it from the factory so the initial move is difficult. I used a little lock tight under the new one when I pressed it in.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I bought some 10-8 sights for my m&p .45. I bought a brass punch and calipers to try and do the installation myself. I couldn't get the sights to budge an inch. So, I took them to Country gunsmith, he fixed them up nice, but he did ding the sights a little bit. I don't care, they shoot straight.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.