Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mates,

Are there waits for lanes on weekends? If so, how long?

As I understand it, indoor lanes are 25 yards, correct?

I only shoot 9mm handguns and shotgun, so ammo restrictions are not an issue.

Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
578 Posts
I've been a Freeport club member for many years, and highly recommend considering joining it.

Maximum range indoors is 50 feet. You are allowed to shoot midrange at some of the points. .22lr rifle and pistol are fine indoors, as well as centerfire pistol (no shotgun or centerfire rifle allowed indoors).

A notice was posted recently to the effect that they don't want members using centerfire pistol ammo with bimetal bullets indoors, due to the excessive wear and tear on the backstop. I believe the Russian Tula stuff falls into this category.

ETA:
I don't think I have ever had to wait for a point to be open when shooting indoors, and from my perspective is not much of a concern.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the info!

Sounds perfect, except for the 50 ft limit. I usually shoot at 15 yards, so it is not prohibitive, but I am still a new shooter and i imagined that I would want to extend my range in the future

·
Registered
578 Posts
On the outside portion of the range, you can technically shoot as far as 50 yards if there are no other shooters or only a handful who coordinate to shoot at that distance. More practically speaking, you can typically expect to shoot at 25 yards outside as there are usually a few members on the range at any given time during the daytime and most don't use the 50 yard points which are set back further than the 25 yard. On Sunday afternoons when the Junior club is in session, members are only allowed to shoot outside during this time. The plus is that during Junior club sessions, range officers set up numerous hanging steel and synthetic targets that members are allowed to shoot at. You can also shoot centerfire rifle and shotgun outside.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On the outside portion of the range, you can technically shoot as far as 50 yards if there are no other shooters or only a handful who coordinate to shoot at that distance. More practically speaking, you can typically expect to shoot at 25 yards outside as there are usually a few members on the range at any given time during the daytime and most don't use the 50 yard points which are set back further than the 25 yard. On Sunday afternoons when the Junior club is in session, members are only allowed to shoot outside during this time. The plus is that during Junior club sessions, range officers set up numerous hanging steel and synthetic targets that members are allowed to shoot at. You can also shoot centerfire rifle and shotgun outside.
Thank you for the info. I will check out an open house

·
Registered
578 Posts
Can you shoot pistol calibers in rifles, such as .357 in levers and 9mm in the Ruger PC9, indoors?
No, pistol-caliber rifles as well as all magnum loads are not allowed on the indoor range. They would both be fine on the outdoor range.

Revolvers in .357 and .44 magnum would need to be loaded with .38spl and .44spl respectively in order to be kosher for the indoor range.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will probably check out an open house tomorrow. Is there anything I need to do other than show up between 9-11? I know not to expect to shoot.

Thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Going for the safety class tomorrow. Just noticed that it is 3 1/2 hours - UGH!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I sat for the safety class tonight--and then proceeded to shoot the worst 10 rounds I have shot in months!! Something about shooting on cue, I think. I better shake that before considering competition shooting!

Anyway, they still let me in, so I will see you fellas there!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Anybody with inside knowledge at the Freeport range know approximately how long the waiting list is? a couple of months? 6 months?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts