Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the difference between the two, just curious as to what level you guys have.

Level III seems good, but seeing how there are alot of hunters on L.I., incase SHTF, one would think that there might be alot of hunting calibers being shot that Level III just won't stop.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
632 Posts
AR500 plates (with anti-spall coating.. never skip the anti-spall coating..) will stop even .30-06 with only a bit of back-face deformity and withstand multiple hits all day long (Not that you would want to). It also has the benefit of not degrading over time as it sits on the shelf not being used, and plate carriers are pretty inexpensive.

Besides the anti-spall coating I'd suggest getting side plates as well. If you are truly worried about being in a gunfight leaving your sides completely open is a major point of vulnerability. Shoulder and upper arm protection of some sort would help close that gap as well.

Edit: forgot to add...

They stop SS109 5.56mm penetrator rounds, but wil not stop .308+ AP rounds, or a plain vanilla .50 BMG FMJ.

Not that I hope you would expect to be taking fire from a BMG...

·
Registered
10,011 Posts
AR500 plates (with anti-spall coating.. never skip the anti-spall coating..) will stop even .30-06 with only a bit of back-face deformity and withstand multiple hits all day long (Not that you would want to). It also has the benefit of not degrading over time as it sits on the shelf not being used, and plate carriers are pretty inexpensive.

Besides the anti-spall coating I'd suggest getting side plates as well. If you are truly worried about being in a gunfight leaving your sides completely open is a major point of vulnerability. Shoulder and upper arm protection of some sort would help close that gap as well.

Edit: forgot to add...

They stop SS109 5.56mm penetrator rounds, but wil not stop .308+ AP rounds, or a plain vanilla .50 BMG FMJ.

Not that I hope you would expect to be taking fire from a BMG...
That's a lot of weight to be carrying around!

·
Registered
10,011 Posts
Start doing squats now nancy boy lol jk
Well calisthenics not withstanding, it's still a lot of weight and bulk the average Joe just isn't going to get used to the same way a SWAT officer might. Plus the reduction in movement and adgility. Not to mention if you have any pouches on it.

Also not something you're likely to hide under your jacket. You'll stand out like the proverbial sore thumb.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I believe the context was shtf. In that respect concealed anything is not in the equation.

Furthermore if you are alone you're toast. You will need to band neighbors together and have some sort of fighting strategy.

Haven't you learned anything from the walking dead. HELLLOOOOOO!!!

Edit

I am a playful sarcastic d*** today.

·
Registered
10,011 Posts
I believe the context was shtf. In that respect concealed anything is not in the equation.

Furthermore if you are alone you're toast. You will need to band neighbors together and have some sort of fighting strategy.

Haven't you learned anything from the walking dead. HELLLOOOOOO!!!

Edit

I am a playful sarcastic d*** today.
Always remember where you are - in NYS.

You go out dressed like that no matter what the conditions and you'll get pounced on IMO.

If Sandy happened again right now you think word wouldn't go out from Albany to confiscate any and all guns seen?? Especially anything that looked like an evil AW, registered or not?

(the whole idea of how we, the law abiding citizen, gets treated in an emergency these days is a real sore spot with me)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
It is an interesting conversation that I have with my friends from time to time. Body armour in a home self defense situation. If one were to put on armour, grab his or her weapon of choice, then go address the bump in the night.....if the need to shoot did arise, how would a homeowner in body armour be perceived?

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Always remember where you are - in NYS.

You go out dressed like that no matter what the conditions and you'll get pounced on IMO.

If Sandy happened again right now you think word wouldn't go out from Albany to confiscate any and all guns seen?? Especially anything that looked like an evil AW, registered or not?

(the whole idea of how we, the law abiding citizen, gets treated in an emergency these days is a real sore spot with me)
Yea police were real effective while they were guarding gas stations.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
It is an interesting conversation that I have with my friends from time to time. Body armour in a home self defense situation. If one were to put on armour, grab his or her weapon of choice, then go address the bump in the night.....if the need to shoot did arise, how would a homeowner in body armour be perceived?
Take it off???

Reactions: Punisher1336

·
Banned
0 Posts
To a gun owner, id say pretty smart or clever. To a liberal county DA/ADA/ANTI, you would be a psychopath who already pre determined that he was going to eliminate someone.

In a home defense scenario, you would have to be mighty quick to get protection on, access what the hell is actually happening, grab said home defense tool and then go into protection mode. Realistically thinking, though I do think ballistic protection is a somewhat good idea, in a SHTF situation you are gonna need level 100000000 protection because things can potentially become INSANE. Id say scrap the entire idea of a vest or plates and get a B-Shield.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
walking dead shows that the most dangerous thing is other live people...
And so did sandy as well as chronic govt ineptitude during a crisis situation.

Ie

Bloomberg willing to use large generators for a marathon instead of using it for those without power.

·
Registered
632 Posts
That's a lot of weight to be carrying around!
Maneuverability is not inhibited that badly if the plate carrier is properly fitted, and you are not going to be wearing level III/IV armor for everyday situations. The AR500 plates weigh 7.5lbs for the front and back units (not sure about the side, but assume 3.5-4 I would guess) so for 20ish lbs that rides well on the torso being protected up to pretty much anything that is non-AP is worth it in a SHTF situation IMO.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Maneuverability is not inhibited that badly if the plate carrier is properly fitted, and you are not going to be wearing level III/IV armor for everyday situations. The AR500 plates weigh 7.5lbs for the front and back units (not sure about the side, but assume 3.5-4 I would guess) so for 20ish lbs that rides well on the torso being protected up to pretty much anything that is non-AP is worth it in a SHTF situation IMO.
When I played little league and HS football we wore around the same weight in gear…. I seemed to maneuver pretty well.

First rule in a zombie apocalypse…. CARDIO….

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
well really more research needs to be done on what type of zombies are coming.

Walking dead type are one thing, but those world war z ones would suck to deal with....

·
Sheepdog
1,526 Posts
My buddy gave me his old plate carrier a while back that I rigged up with shotshell pouches for the range. I was thinking about plates too since "why the hell not?". I mean just by owning a firearm, you are acknowledging the reality that you are taking that step to defend yourself and your home and any realistic person knows they may be shot at first or may take Return fire if they miss or there is more than one person on your property/home that is armed. It's not always the home defense 12GA vs. "Bad guy with a knife". So why wouldn't you want to protect your vital organs? It's a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.

I read up a little on bulletproofme.com about the difference between the plate levels. And ceramic vs. steel is something you should think about also. Ceramic is a plus because it's lighter but it also has a shelf-life and expiration date. It can also be damaged by the UPS guy during shipment to your house (as well as being dropped on it's corners) and only an X-Ray could tell whether there's hairline cracks on the inside that you cannot see.

Steel however is abt 8lbs per plate (I think twice as much as ceramic) but needs no maintenance, 25%-50% of the cost, has no expiration, and will still be good 100 years from now.

You also have to look at when you jump up a protection level how much weight you are adding vs. how much protection you are adding. If a SHTF situation is what you're more worried about (i.e. roaming looters, lawlessness) you will need to be physically active wearing this for an extended period of time, not just going from your bedroom to your front door or confronting that noise at 3am. IMO opinion, I would probably go with Level III steel stand-alone plates in a carrier. There are Mil-Spec ones by a company on E-Bay, check these out. Front/Back/Side plates with a comfort cut for your shooting arm:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281078836295?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 $155.99 free shipping

1 - 20 of 44 Posts