Long Island Shooters Forum banner

FN Five Seven

Tags
five fn seven
3K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  Rrudo74901 
#1 ·
Thinking about buying the Five Seven. Anyone have any first hand knowledge of this pistol?

#6 ·
I've had one for a few years. Pretty cool to own, but very expensive to shoot! I went to PA a few years back and bought a bunch of ammo for it a bit cheaper than most places.

As far as shooting it, it's FUN. Low recoil and easy to shoot. It's very large also, so not too concealable. I was waiting for a compact version, but it never came.

Are you still in NY? If so you're welcome to try it any time - YOU supply the ammo! Lol.

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yeah, thought you moved, but wasn't sure if you snowbird.

I went to a local shop with a buddy who convinced me to buy 'the other one' - so I did. I don't regret it, but I think you'd probably get the same fun-factor results with a Kel Tec PMR-30. Less than 1/2 the price, cheaper 22 magnum ammo, 30-round FLUSH magazine, a little smaller package......

Reactions: Trailblazer
#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Years ago a consistent complaint of 22 magnum semi autos was that they were unreliable and jammed often.
Why a 22 LR could feed well but a 22 magnum not confused me but there were many reviews withh that complaint.
Is the PMR 30 reliable and accurate?
Do they make a 10 round magazine so it can be legal in a Liberal free of gun violence state?

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
Years ago a consistent complaint of 22 magnum semi autos was that they were unreliable and jammed often.
Why a 22 LR could feed well but a 22 magnum not confused me but there were many reviews withh that complaint.
Is the PMR 30 reliable and accurate?
I personally have never fired one. My buddy in N. Carolina loves his. There are several videos (Hickock, Nutnfancy, etc.) that give it high praise (except the original ones had feeding issues I think).
I'd like to get one and the companion carbine, which after several years of teasing, has finally hit the shelves.

Attachments

#8 ·
Two friends own them.
Nice gun. Fun to shoot.
Light but i wouldn't consider it a concealed carry choice except for the weight.
Ammo was ridiculous expensive back before a community organizer was elected.
I would have bought one if the ammo wasn't so insane.

#10 ·
Oh yeah, I did a quick test on the 5.7 round through my FiveseveN and PS90. I posted the results here. I was somewhat unimpressed with the penetration of even the 'Military/LE Only' rounds except with the 16" barrel. And if you're going to carry a 16" barrel, why not a 5.56 x 39?

#12 ·
I believe youtube has several comparison videos, FiveseveN vs. PMR 30.

#15 ·
Have friends who own them and shoot them recreationally. Don't have a first hand experience but listening to instructors at a shooting school I belong to in Nevada that requires shooting about 800 rounds in 4 days, they said, that they have not seen one that made it through all 4 days.

#19 ·
The 5.7 pistol coupled with the PS90 is a nice complete weapon system.
I have the 5.7 pistol and used to have the PS90. 50 rounds on the back of the carbine with 20 in the pistol and a spare mag puts you in good shape if you ever have a gunfight.

The pistol itself is interesting. Straight blowback design has a lower recoil that most pistols we are used to shooting, even a 9mm. Safety engaging and disengaging takes some getting used to since it's done with your trigger finger. As with all FN designs, it's fully ambidextrous. The 5.7 round is a nasty little round. As Dan stated, you will want to carry it with green tip ammo, that's the SS198. When you sight in the pistol, always use the green tips. The 40gr American eagle SS195 and the SS197SR will shoot way low compared to the higher velocity 26gr SS198. Just be aware.

If you only have one gun and this is your second, I wouldn't recommend it. But if you have other pistols and this is a for fun/occasional carry piece, go for it.

#22 ·
Good decision. I have one and its a lot of fun. Plus since american eagle started making 5.7, and some of the craziness is slowing price of ammo is get " more reasonable"

Reactions: Trailblazer
#23 ·
It's lighter than a Glock 19, but larger and thicker than a 1911. It's a very accurate gun with a smooth, crisp trigger. It's a single action only with an internal hammer. It produces very minimal recoil as well.

I have nothing bad to say about the pistol, but it is really nothing more than a novelty gun that will get shot at the range. It's too big for conceal carry and not powerful enough (in my opinion) for home defense.

#24 ·
They wouldn't issue a weapon system to the secret service if it wasn't suitable for home defense. I agree they use the SS190 AP round that can defeat body armor and it's probably loaded very hot, but the SS198 ammo runs 2200 fps out of the pistol. That's a hot round. This is offset by the 27gr weight I also agree, but I wouldn't want to get hit with that round. Over penetration may be an issue with this particular round however, I have not viewed the ballistic gel data.

#27 ·
Carguy,
I was in an argumentative mood last night. After I wrote what I wrote, I did go back and think about what my top 4 "go to" pistols would be in a defensive scenario. An my top 4 wouldn't include the FN 5.7.

That being said, the 5.7x28mm round does carry a reputation of delivering very debilitating wounds. As well, it's a flat shooter and even out of the pistol would give more reliable "range" than say the 9mm or beloved .45 cal. And both the carbine and pistol carried together as a weapons system makes it very effective.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.