Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Was wondering if anyone has experience with this. Nassau County resident with pistol permit and NYS registered AR.

Moving out of state and bringing my two pistols, AR (stripped lower receiver) and a lever action 30-30. Was thinking of checking themfor my flight.

I've read some stories about traveling through JFK wth the associated laws in NYC and wonder if i am better off shipping everything ($$$).

The two pistols all have compliant magazines, the AR is a stripped lower. Everything will comply with TSA regs for travel but the NYC part makes me wonder.

I am not against shipping, but am I being overly paranoid?

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Having the guns in your possesion on the way to the airport carries a significant risk of trouble (without any argument about its legality).

You can ship a handgun to yourself vis UPS or Fed Ex. The ATF website has information on how to do it. You don't need a dealer to do it.
Seems like a hassle-free choice to me.

·
Banned
375 Posts
Having the guns in your possesion on the way to the airport carries a significant risk of trouble
How so?
If the firearms are legally possessed, which they appear to be, then there is no "risk of trouble".
People fly in and out of JFK with firearms every single day. Follow the guidelines by the airline and the TSA... no problems.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After much reading I am just going to ship. I'll have to read more into shipping to yourself, I was not aware you could do that.

All the articles I just read.. Very happy to be leaving this state!

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
Having the guns in your possesion on the way to the airport carries a significant risk of trouble (without any argument about its legality).

You can ship a handgun to yourself vis UPS or Fed Ex. The ATF website has information on how to do it. You don't need a dealer to do it.
Seems like a hassle-free choice to me.
Stop spreading false information, it is 100% legal to fly out of an airport with your firearms

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
After much reading I am just going to ship. I'll have to read more into shipping to yourself, I was not aware you could do that.

All the articles I just read.. Very happy to be leaving this state!
Why? It's much easier to fly with them. Bring them in their case unloaded, declare them at check in. Have tsa inspect them, lock them with a none tsa approved locked (because tsa already inspected them and do not need to inspect them again) and fly like everyone else

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Regarding cost, I was going to go FFL to FFL... Cost was probably around $400+ all said and done.

Shipping to myself would make that much cheaper and avoid the hassle of going through NYC. I'll read more about his tonight.

Regarding checking in at JFK; I've read in the 'horror stories' the port authority (not TSA) is called when you declare. I thought it was ok as I always thought it was ok to travel through NYC with a legally owned firearm as long as you made no stops. But I guess it's a grey area at the airport.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I do it all the time. 95% it is a breeze, sometimes you get a PA officer that is a bit quirky, but even at the worst it was still pretty easy. Unless you have a NYC carry permit or are LEO, the pistols need to be unloaded, cased and locked for the drive to JFK. The case needs to be hard side and have TWO locks to which only you have the key. When you get to the gate, just tell them your are declaring firearms to check and they will have you sign a card that they are unloaded. It goes in the case. They will call PAPD who will come and check your pistol permit, check the registration on the AR, document the serial numbers or sometimes just smile and say ok. All depends on the officer. Any ammo needs to be in paper or cardboard, cannot be loaded into magazines or stored in plastic cases (FAA rule from a million years ago). Ammo limits vary by airline, generally about 10lbs. Firearms limits may also apply. I have pushed them in some cases and never had an issue as long as the case isn't too big and crazy. I have not tried to travel with my 12 pack case yet. The most exciting time is waiting for it to come down the chute at pickup. Nothing that stops someone from grabbing it and walking away so keep a sharp eye out when you are picking up. Also, sometimes larger rifles cases come out the oversize door and not onto the chute and belt. All depends on the airport. Outside of NYC, pretty uneventful. if you have any specific questions, feel free to call me in the store and I'll fill you in.

Ed 631-967-3170

·
Registered
554 Posts
I do it all the time. 95% it is a breeze, sometimes you get a PA officer that is a bit quirky, but even at the worst it was still pretty easy. Unless you have a NYC carry permit or are LEO, the pistols need to be unloaded, cased and locked for the drive to JFK. The case needs to be hard side and have TWO locks to which only you have the key. When you get to the gate, just tell them your are declaring firearms to check and they will have you sign a card that they are unloaded. It goes in the case. They will call PAPD who will come and check your pistol permit, check the registration on the AR, document the serial numbers or sometimes just smile and say ok. All depends on the officer. Any ammo needs to be in paper or cardboard, cannot be loaded into magazines or stored in plastic cases (FAA rule from a million years ago). Ammo limits vary by airline, generally about 10lbs. Firearms limits may also apply. I have pushed them in some cases and never had an issue as long as the case isn't too big and crazy. I have not tried to travel with my 12 pack case yet. The most exciting time is waiting for it to come down the chute at pickup. Nothing that stops someone from grabbing it and walking away so keep a sharp eye out when you are picking up. Also, sometimes larger rifles cases come out the oversize door and not onto the chute and belt. All depends on the airport. Outside of NYC, pretty uneventful. if you have any specific questions, feel free to call me in the store and I'll fill you in.

Ed 631-967-3170
Thank you very much for this info. Very helpful.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
You should also ask what you need to do with your pistol permit. Short answer is you must notify Nassau in writing within 10 days of the change of address. Whether they ask you to surrender your permit or not is up to them.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I've also done it many times, never a problem. Follow the guide lines and your golden. I've actually had easier times out of LaGuardia than JFK.

·
Uh-oh...
12,517 Posts
http://www.longislan...r/#entry1001741

http://www.longislan...e-and-handguns/
http://www.longislan...ndgun-to-texas/
http://www.longislan...-jfk-traveling/
http://www.longislan...king-in-pistol/
http://www.longislan...e-for-airlines/

I fly a couple of times a year with a handgun. Always on Jet Blue. Never an issue.

There are a few things to consider:
1 ) Use an airline approved case. Something that is not easily pried open, and has locks on the corners.

2 ) DO NOT use TSA locks. When you declare the firearm at the ticket counter, it will be inspected by Port Authority PD. There may be a bit of a wait. Personally, I've never waited longer than 20 minutes, but I have heard of longer. There is no reason for it to be inspected after that, and it will be tagged as being inspected. Make sure the ticket agent puts the firearms tag inside, not outside the case. If the TSA has to look at it after that, they MUST contact you to open it. It is also a good idea not to have any NRA or Stag Arms/Bushmaster/Colt/what-have-you stickers on the outside of the case.

3 ) Forget all the horror stories. As long as everything is legal, and you follow the rules, it is no big deal. People fly in and out of NYC airports with firearms every day. The ticket agent will not even flinch. There have been issues in the past, but the ones you hear about are very few and far between, and the result of somebody not following the rules. When flying back from Free America, they don't care what's legal in NY.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
I've done it.....with help from the gun slinging maniacs here. 5 years ago I never heard of it, and I was shocked when I 1st heard about it. I took my long arm & ammo on vacation. The limo driver looked at me funny, and I said nothing. I carried it into the airport, and no one even looked at me. The PA cops came over, and did their deed, I was done. Took all of 10 minutes.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Appreciate the advice guys, after further reading I've decided to go with them in my checked luggage. Bought some pelican cases for everything and will follow the guidelines to the T. I got into JFK yesterday and even asked the ticketing agent. She said that she checks firearms fairly often, the only catch was to show up earlier than normal because it can take up to an hour for a port authority officer to come by for inspection. I am not traveling with any ammo and will lock everything with the slide open. Not sure how to lock the lever action open, may have to get a trigger lock or something for that tonight.

Driving is not an option as I am heading to CA. Did the drive once already, wish I had brought everything out with me at that time!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I am also traveling soon with firearms. I realize there is a difference between traveling with long guns as opposed to hand guns. I want to take 2 revolvers on a hunting trip. I am assuming that most of the people on this thread do NOT have an NYC carry permit. I only have a Nassau permit. My biggest fear is traveling into Queens with my handguns. I am worried about walking up to the ticket counter, declaring my firearms and then getting arrested for bringing my handguns into NYC. Is this a real concern?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.