Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Problem solver... maker... solver... maker.
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was a horrible tragedy and the whole situation is a mess. But from what I gather from the video, he had blanks and was looking for suicide by cop. Reports had said he took his own life... but the audio from the video has a board member saying "he had caps" and "that's what he was looking for" in regards to being shot by the security officer.

So the question is, did he have live rounds or blanks?

Tragic either way :( but glad that no one else was hurt.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Eiather way, play stupid games win stupid prizes.
He's dead and the guy who shot him now has to live with the fact that he took a mans life.

Present a gun in a hostile situation it will end badly. If it was caps - yes, suicide by cop (or or other armed citizen).
I posted in the other thread it won't be long before this is distorted to fit the anti-gun movement in some way shape or form.

·
SUPER STAR
5,508 Posts
I am wondering the same thing.....the first shot he took seems to hit the guy in the arm but then they say it was caps. Did he do a mag swap after he went down?

Also, on NEWS12 they said he was a retired Police Officer. Edit...I thought they said retired Officer.....maybe they said "ex-con" and I heard "ex-cop".

·
Problem solver... maker... solver... maker.
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
227 Posts
based on most recent report, bullets were real, he fortunately missed everyone he was firing at, the madman was NOT a retired police officer, the school security who shot him was in fact a retired police detective.

·
Registered
15,416 Posts
Thankfully the bullets didn't go through the walls and find some other innocents. Even though the meeting was after school hours there are many after school programs in most districts. :-/

·
Sharp Shooter!
321 Posts
CJ said:
I am wondering the same thing.....the first shot he took seems to hit the guy in the arm but then they say it was caps. Did he do a mag swap after he went down?

Also, on NEWS12 they said he was a retired Police Officer. Edit...I thought they said retired Officer.....maybe they said "ex-con" and I heard "ex-cop".
The news reports that I read stated that the guard that shot the guy was a retired LEO.

·
Banned
1,468 Posts
The security officer had fired 3 shots center mass with hits to his back knocking that nut case on the ground.The fatal shot was a self inflicted shot to the head.The security officer thought he would be charged with his death because he shot him in the back.Lucky that this guy wasn't a good shot.And allowed enough time for the security officer to respond in time.

·
Registered
530 Posts
hunter won said:
The security officer had fired 3 shots center mass with hits to his back knocking that nut case on the ground.The fatal shot was a self inflicted shot to the head.The security officer thought he would be charged with his death because he shot him in the back.Lucky that this guy wasn't a good shot.And allowed enough time for the security officer to respond in time.
Correct..the security guard didn't kill him, he killed himself. Also read where the gunman's wife said he was a pretty good marksman, which makes me wonder if he missed on purpose. I mean, look how close he was..and he seemed to have pretty good gun control. Very odd....but thank God nobody else was hurt. The woman with the purse is one brave lady, that's for sure!

·
Now an Ex NYer
25,015 Posts
Typical angry/crazy person scenario where they "Take Control" and carry out their "fantasy". When they face losing that control, they off themselves. Sad that others had to endure that, and that another person has to live with shooting him, and the legal gun owning public has to suffer as well

·
Banned
1,468 Posts
The security officer while doing his job should of never gone on TV to say that he thought he would be brought up on charges that he shot him in the back.The school board members thought he had blanks.Any time you're in a shooting never a good idea to say those things.

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
[quote name='hunter won']he thought he would be brought up on charges that he shot him in the back.quote]

I agree, it is not wise to talk to the media if you're involved in a shooting.

On shooting the guy in the back, the reaction to shoot when someone has shot at someone and is still holding a gun doesn't turn on and off based on the orientation of the attacker's body. And in my opinion intentionally shooting the attacker in the back would have been totally justify given what had just took place moments before.

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
I tihnk you can take your own life with blanks, I;ve heard stories of them being fatal at point blank range.

·
Banned
1,468 Posts
Not sure how the officer was trained but POLICE DON'T MOVE in a loud command voice.I believe this is how most agencies are trained now.I understand that he is retired from the P.D. so he should of kept quiet as most know.If anyone noticed the first shot to the back wasn't enough to drop him it was the subsequent follow up shots.Keep shooting until the threat is stopped.

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
AkunaMatata said:
I tihnk you can take your own life with blanks, I;ve heard stories of them being fatal at point blank range.
We did drills in basic training using blanks in our M-16's. A clamp was attached to the muzzle of the firearm to prevent the blast and any material from the blank being expelled and injuring another soldier.

The papers flying and marks in the wall wouldn't necessarily mean live rounds were used but based on statements from those in the room it appears he was using live rounds.

·
In my Happy Place
3,769 Posts
AkunaMatata said:
Yup, happened to some soap star back in the '80's. Screwing around with a blank loaded pistol, put it to his head and pulled the trigger. Blew the wadding halfway through his coconut if I recall. Talk about a candidate for the Darwin awards..

This is the guy. Jon-Erik Hexum

·
Banned
1,468 Posts
Was it a 9mm that was used.In the video a close up of his reaction when the first bullet made contact to his back the second or third must of hit a part of his spine for him to fall that way.Many more shot we're exchanged between the two.I'm sure this is a good training tool.I believe the Security officer said in an interview that he ran and got a vest extra ammo when he learned of the incident.Always carry a spare magazine.

·
INFIDEL
7,263 Posts
Maybe the board member was using the expression he was bustin caps.   It sure looked like live rounds struck the papers on the table. If they were blanks he would have had to cycle the pistol by hand without a blank frieing adapter of some type and if he loaded live rounds after fireing blanks with an adapter wouldnt the pistol blow up due to the restriction in the barrel. Doesnt look like he was aiming.  The security officer shouldnt have said anything to any news people until he was treated at the hospital or trauma (got a chance to get his union rep. or lawyer)  

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.