Long Island Shooters Forum banner

Florida no longer allows hunter/military for ccw

4999 Views 45 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  hunter won
Florida requires a copy of NRA basic live fire or LE qual/re qual to get a Non resident permit.Military LEO ID's are not acceptable.Florida statute  for a short time allowed just the hunters safety class to apply for a CCW from Florida.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Florida requires a copy of NRA basic live fire or LE qual/re qual to get a Non resident permit.Military LEO ID's are not acceptable.Florida statute  for a short time allowed just the hunters safety class to apply for a CCW from Florida.
When is this effective? According to their website, they still do. Granted, when was the last time a government agency kept their site 100% up to date?

The Utah course should still work either way.
When is this effective? According to their website, they still do. Granted, when was the last time a government agency kept their site 100% up to date?

guyver0313 said:

Go to Personal Defense Solutions,he listed a phone number.I know I seen on this forum that a hunters safety course is all that is needed for a Florida non -resident.It was allowed for a very short time.
guyver0313 said:

Go to Personal Defense Solutions,he listed a phone number.I know I seen on this forum that a hunters safety course is all that is needed for a Florida non -resident.It was allowed for a very short time.
I already completed the Utah course. So, it doesn't really matter to me. I was just wondering when this took effect as I was about to send in my Florida papers and prior, I had been going to send in my DD214.
I already completed the Utah course. So, it doesn't really matter to me. I was just wondering when this took effect as I was about to send in my Florida papers and prior, I had been going to send in my DD214.
I just checked the application training requirements and they are listed below:

QUESTION 6
Florida law requires you to submit proof of competency with a firearm in order to qualify for a concealed weapon license. A
copy of a CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION or similar document from any of the following courses or classes is acceptable:
 any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or
a similar agency in another state;
 any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
 any firearm safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency,
junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors
certified by the National Rifle Association, the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the
Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
 any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special
deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
 any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified instructor or by an instructor certified by
the National Rifle Association.
The copy of the training certificate/document must be clear and legible. The certificate/document must include your name, the
instructor's name, the instructor's signature, and the instructor's certification number.
Other acceptable forms of training documentation include the following:
 documentary evidence of experience with a firearm obtained through participation in organized shooting competition;
 active-duty military personnel may submit copies of any of the following documents that confirm your experience with a
firearm gained during your service: military orders including call to active-duty letter; a statement of military service signed
by, or at the direction of, the adjutant, personnel officer, or commander of your unit or higher headquarters which identifies
you and provides your date of entry on your current active-duty period;
 former military personnel can submit a DD Form 214 reflecting honorable discharge from military service.
DO NOT SEND ORIGINAL TRAINING DOCUMENTS OR OTHER RELATED MATERIALS TO THE DIVISION.
See less See more
I just checked the application training requirements and they are listed below:

QUESTION 6
Florida law requires you to submit proof of competency with a firearm in order to qualify for a concealed weapon license. A
copy of a CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION or similar document from any of the following courses or classes is acceptable:
 any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or
a similar agency in another state;
 any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
 any firearm safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency,
junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors
certified by the National Rifle Association, the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the
Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
 any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special
deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
 any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified instructor or by an instructor certified by
the National Rifle Association.
The copy of the training certificate/document must be clear and legible. The certificate/document must include your name, the
instructor's name, the instructor's signature, and the instructor's certification number.
Other acceptable forms of training documentation include the following:
 documentary evidence of experience with a firearm obtained through participation in organized shooting competition;
 active-duty military personnel may submit copies of any of the following documents that confirm your experience with a
firearm gained during your service: military orders including call to active-duty letter; a statement of military service signed
by, or at the direction of, the adjutant, personnel officer, or commander of your unit or higher headquarters which identifies
you and provides your date of entry on your current active-duty period;
 former military personnel can submit a DD Form 214 reflecting honorable discharge from military service.
DO NOT SEND ORIGINAL TRAINING DOCUMENTS OR OTHER RELATED MATERIALS TO THE DIVISION.
See less See more
So can we still get our florida with the Utah CCW?
So can we still get our florida with the Utah CCW?
I spoke with a Florida CCW rep about 3 weeks ago and they assured me that a DD214, NYS hunter safety course, Utah CFP course were acceptable as fulfilling their training requirement
I'm pretty sure if they were to change their policy it would be included in their application packets which I received last week. If I get a chance I'll try to call today and verify.
I spoke with a Florida CCW rep about 3 weeks ago and they assured me that a DD214, NYS hunter safety course, Utah CFP course were acceptable as fulfilling their training requirement
I'm pretty sure if they were to change their policy it would be included in their application packets which I received last week. If I get a chance I'll try to call today and verify.
I just got off the phone with a Florida rep and Utah CFP Course Certificate, NYS Hunters Safety Course and a DD214 are all acceptable to fulfill their traning requiements.
I just got off the phone with a Florida rep and Utah CFP Course Certificate, NYS Hunters Safety Course and a DD214 are all acceptable to fulfill their traning requiements.
Thanks, BillSpider. I will probably send them both the DD214 and the training certificate from the Utah course a few weeks ago.
Thanks, BillSpider. I will probably send them both the DD214 and the training certificate from the Utah course a few weeks ago.
A friend who was interested to get a CCW from Florida said he no longer could use his NY hunters safety course as proof.He said he found this class out of PA the Philly area PDS Personal Defense Solutions.It's clearly has it stated on the PDS website that Florida statute no longer accepts hunter safety,Active Military/LE.Must have a certificate from an NRA instuctor with his name or certified LE instructor.
A friend who was interested to get a CCW from Florida said he no longer could use his NY hunters safety course as proof.He said he found this class out of PA the Philly area PDS Personal Defense Solutions.It's clearly has it stated on the PDS website that Florida statute no longer accepts hunter safety,Active Military/LE.Must have a certificate from an NRA instuctor with his name or certified LE instructor.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.