Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
I'm a newbie...go easy on me

I have fixed mag ar15... First, I brought it in to check my gun cuz bolt catch jammed and it covered the warranty-They took care of it.

I went to range first time today ( damn too hot) w/ xm855 55gr 5.56 and...it does it again argh...after 53 rds. Bolt catch jammed.

I see the bolt catch bent forward and got stuck.

The problem is bolt catch jammed.

Why is it jbent forward/jammed ? Is it cuz of fixed mag? What's causing this?

Thanks
Jake

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know it's hard to explain...my grammar isn't great.

The bolt catch is not moving/free. BCG will not going moving into barrel. It is dragging and stop in middle of feeding cuz bolt catch will not free it.

Yes it's ds 15.

Jake

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
I hear horror stories of fixed mag AR's. If I were you I'd swap it over by using a spur or thordsen and removing the FS. Having to open up an AR really makes it difficult to correct jams( as you're seeing) and loading is slooow and a pain in.......
IMO of course. Hope you get it worked out quickly, let us know how you make out.

·
#1 Grade A Super Stud
1,284 Posts
I know it's hard to explain...my grammar isn't great.

The bolt catch is not moving/free. BCG will not going moving into barrel. It is dragging and stop in middle of feeding cuz bolt catch will not free it.

Yes it's ds 15.

Jake
That didn't help much. Bring it to the dealer. He wants to help- not many would do that

·
#1 Grade A Super Stud
1,284 Posts
I hear horror stories of fixed mag AR's. If I were you I'd swap it over by using a spur or thordsen and removing the FS. Having to open up an AR really makes it difficult to correct jams( as you're seeing) and loading is slooow and a pain in.......
IMO of course. Hope you get it worked out quickly, let us know how you make out.
The entire system neutered seems silly to me but I understand why guys do. I think there are better options with this law in place. Unfortunately- none are as fun as the original.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am just trying to figure out what causes bolt catch issues. I know it can be anything.

I searched it thru Google and there's some threads posted on www ar15 com with this issues.

I can replace it. it's easy but I Just don't want to mess with it cuz t's still warranty by DSI

Thanks
Jake

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
We've seen a few on DS-15's and other brands where the bold catch gets bent slightly and rubs on the slot it rides in. It causes the bolt to either get stuck or not latch back. Pretty simple fix.

·
Banned
2,413 Posts
We've seen a few on DS-15's and other brands where the bold catch gets bent slightly and rubs on the slot it rides in. It causes the bolt to either get stuck or not latch back. Pretty simple fix.
I had the same issue with one of my fixed mag rifles (non-DSI). I swapped the bolt catch and changed the mag to an older mag with less tension. Seemed to work.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.