Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
I got out about 1 pm and in the frist hour I caught 2 blues and a skate
Hooked in to some thing big Hit like a Mack truck by the time I got the rod out of the pole holder it was gone along with my bait next trip Monday morning
Oh this is my friend Stumpy he was hanging by me all afternoon
All fished realest unharmed

Attachments

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Location? I was at Montauk on Sunday but I got skunked.

·
Sharp Shooter!
387 Posts
Last season, I was fishing Center Island, and think I should have been crowned king of the Sea Robbins, because that was was what I mostly caught there. I did catch a 29 inch striper, and 2 nice sized fluke, but that was it.
Next season, I have to find a new place to fish that will provide better results from the beach.

Nazz315430

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sand Eel baits are some of the best and most productive baits you can have but you have to make sure you're fishing them when sand eels are around. Tsunami sand eels are really good in the surf. Through them into a bar and just reel slow. The waves crashing on the bar knocks up the sand eels and the fish wait in front of the bar to eat them up. Tins also imitate sand eels and for decades Graves Tins were the only thing thrown from the beach. IMO a bucktail from the beach is the best way to go in most conditions because you can always match the bait patterns in the water. A bucktail could be retrieved to imitate a peanut bunker, mullet, sand eel, or whatever else is out there. It's the first thing I always through when I hit the beach. White with white pork (uncle josh #50) and at night it's white or wine color with matching pork.

Check out John Skinner on Youtube. He's from Long Island and has GREAT instructional videos on surf fishing.

·
Sharp Shooter!
387 Posts
Speaking of eels. Recently, something was explained to me. I don't know if it's true or not.
I was told when striped bass are born, they hang out in reel grass, and when they are newborns, the eels try to eat them.
As the bass mature, they look to kill the eels that fed on them when they were too small to fend for themselves.
Hense, when you go fishing for stripers with live eels, the stripers attack them, not because they love the taste of eels, but through their hatred and feeling of self preservation that kicks in from when they were young.
Any thoughts on that theory???

·
Registered
10,011 Posts
I had heard that eels eat the bass eggs and female bass instictively attack eels to protect eggs, even if they aren't spawning.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Speaking of eels. Recently, something was explained to me. I don't know if it's true or not.
I was told when striped bass are born, they hang out in reel grass, and when they are newborns, the eels try to eat them.
As the bass mature, they look to kill the eels that fed on them when they were too small to fend for themselves.
Hense, when you go fishing for stripers with live eels, the stripers attack them, not because they love the taste of eels, but through their hatred and feeling of self preservation that kicks in from when they were young.
Any thoughts on that theory???
I'd have to call BS on that. Bass are spawned up rivers. Where most of us fish eels is a long way from the spawning grounds. Bluefish also like to eat eels & they spawn off the continental shelf. Drifting eels at 3+ knots hardly would pose a threat to immature bass. Eels are just a perfect size snack for bass IMO.

·
Registered
10,011 Posts
I'd have to call BS on that. Bass are spawned up rivers. Where most of us fish eels is a long way from the spawning grounds. Bluefish also like to eat eels & they spawn off the continental shelf. Drifting eels at 3+ knots hardly would pose a threat to immature bass. Eels are just a perfect size snack for bass IMO.
Eels breed in freshwater/brackish water too. They are very common in lakes and rivers.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Eels breed in freshwater/brackish water too. They are very common in lakes and rivers.
Well aware of that. I still don't think their pea sized brain remembers & computes that 200+ miles from where they were spawned as an eel gets towed by at 3+knots. How do you explain catching male bass on eels if the females are protecting the eggs?

·
Registered
10,011 Posts
Well aware of that. I still don't think their pea sized brain remembers & computes that 200+ miles from where they were spawned as an eel gets towed by at 3+knots. How do you explain catching male bass on eels if the females are protecting the eggs?
It's instinctive.

For both sexes.

But next time I catch a big cow on an eel I'll be sure to ask just to be sure.

Reactions: Sig
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.