Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever fished lake george?

Not much of a fresh water fisher but heading up there next week, so i am bringing my baitcaster and fresh water spinner.

I guess i will be going after bass.

Has anyone fished up there? How is it?

Trying to figure out what lures and tackle to pack .

Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
I wish i could give you the right info but you will have to ask when you get there what they are biting lately i have been up there and they went after worms and some spoons but the climate changes and they like different things sometimes Small mouth is plentiful and some large mouth too That all i got when I was there...........

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I will be diving in the lake this Saturday. Dove last weekend too, lots of fish and stuff to see, and play with! Unsure if any are biting hooks though. Will tell you, if you are at about 25 feet and start turning over rocks, some fairly large fish will swim right up to you. If you move slow you can even get them in your hand!.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Fish the shallows around structure, this time of year with warm weather let the lures sink to get closer to bottom. Plastic worms, buzz baits, small spoons, spinners and crank baits will produce. Pike and trout could be a nice by catch. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
fished it years back had a grate time nice size fish
we took out my buddy's boat early in the am fished all day and in to the night caught more fish that day then i did any other day we used rapaler's 4 inch rubber lizards in different colors top water poppers and ratter traps and we caught different fish on all of them

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info guys

I have decided to leave the boat home and I am going to fish from sure. Hopefully I can find some structure from sure. I was thinking about using top water frogs

Papa I am going to look into those lures. Thanks

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Thanks for the info guys

I have decided to leave the boat home and I am going to fish from sure. Hopefully I can find some structure from sure. I was thinking about using top water frogs

Papa I am going to look into those lures. Thanks
I fished from the shore too, and just as awful. Next time, I am going to see where the charter boats go, I'm sure they know the good spots.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I go with my friends a couple of times a year. Non of us are into fishing. We decided to buy some fishing rods one day and fished his docks. We catch a ton of rock bass. I caught one with a hook and no bait.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I've been fishing Lake George every year since I could hold a rod. This time of year, crayfish in 40-60 ft. of water with a grassy bottom. I use a nail clipper to cut off the pinchers from their claws so that they can't hide. I've seen really big bass in Lake George, but never caught one myself.....usual size is 12-16 inches. Another fun way to fish is to troll in a canoe or row boat with a Mepps or Daredevil behind the boat along the shore. You'll catch small bass all day long.

If you want to catch big fish in Lake George, hire a charter to take you lake trout fishing. They use downriggers or lead core line in the middle of the lake.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
You can catch Lake Trout by jigging tube jigs tipped with smelt, you need to be on the bottom and its very deep in some places.
Some of those lakers are 30lb or more.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
My only experience was about 20 years ago, when some friends and I rented a motor boat for the day out of Bolton's Landing. We mainly were water skiing, but took some to do some fishing. We were in deep water, using rubber worms, letting them go down deep. We caught lots of smallmouth bass doing this. With all the heat we've had, you want to fish some deeper water where it's cooler. I think fishing from the shore, the water may be too warm right now.

Reactions: grifhunter

·
INFIDEL
7,237 Posts
Let us know how you do, We fish in poluted Peconic river....You dont want to get any of the radioactive water on ya..lol

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use to fish the northern part of the lake. Caught mostly bass and pickerel with spinning gear. Early morning with low wind conditions try Yellow baby Zara spook near shallow structure. As day progresses go deeper with crayfish type jigs or silver/orange spoons .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.